May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
King Keil
Expatriate
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:47 pm
Reputation: 235
Armenia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by King Keil » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Which thieve would just change one bill and leave two genuine hundred dollar bills with the victim?
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1142
Cambodia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by Mishmash » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:17 pm

You all know the Mish.

We have taken our cash direct from *** to CUBC and we are impeccable.

They have refused our bills many times.

Last time refused 400$ out of 11k.

I am inclined to believe the tin hats out of direct experience.

So says Mish and the boys.

The boys have worked 16+ years Ironman and the Mish 10 years working the son of Ironman.

We have no record lying or deceiving the people for even1 riel.

If you say Mish or the boys lie then we will be Prey Sar a long time.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm
Reputation: 220
Cambodia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by frizzie77 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 pm

That $100 bills are refused is not the same as that they're fake.
$100 bills may be refused, because they're "too old", which may refer to 'looking too old in general', having an even tiny tear, or a particular year of issuance, that almost everybody refuses, but I forgot the specific year. I think it was because there were a lot of indeed counterfeit bills around with that particular year on it.

In all my 17 years in the wonderful Kingdom, I have not once had a fake US bill. I repeat: not once, although I'm touching wood now.

I have had only ONCE (in SEVENTEEN years) experienced that a business tried to refuse my $100. It was of that particular year I mentioned above but otherwise perfectly alright. I made a big drama out of it, shouting around the reception area I would not accept this, and after some deliberation the business decided my $100 note was acceptable. (BTW, that was Online Internet Provider, but really a long time ago.)

So, really, someone claiming an ATM produced a fake $100 bill forgot about his/her activities after that withdrawal.
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 646
Location: 1984
Great Britain

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by Yerg » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm

frizzie77 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:58 pm
That $100 bills are refused is not the same as that they're fake.
$100 bills may be refused, because they're "too old", which may refer to 'looking too old in general', having an even tiny tear, or a particular year of issuance, that almost everybody refuses, but I forgot the specific year. I think it was because there were a lot of indeed counterfeit bills around with that particular year on it.

In all my 17 years in the wonderful Kingdom, I have not once had a fake US bill. I repeat: not once, although I'm touching wood now.

I have had only ONCE (in SEVENTEEN years) experienced that a business tried to refuse my $100. It was of that particular year I mentioned above but otherwise perfectly alright. I made a big drama out of it, shouting around the reception area I would not accept this, and after some deliberation the business decided my $100 note was acceptable. (BTW, that was Online Internet Provider, but really a long time ago.)

So, really, someone claiming an ATM produced a fake $100 bill forgot about his/her activities after that withdrawal.
I'm inclined to agree. I was aware that US$ notes pre-2000 were undesirable, as I was advised at a money-exchange place in Muscat. They made sure all my notes were 2001 or younger. It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.

I was once handed a note in change in PP that I missed, and it was 1997 or 1998. It was subsequently rejected at a restaurant due to it's age. (It was a $20 bill.) Asked my little lady, and she got it accepted. Nothing wrong with it, just wrong date.

So I am with frizzie on this one.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Posts: 1949
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Reputation: 1142
Cambodia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by Mishmash » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 am

Yep... However *** is in the news for some reason. My notes were refused - not just once either, despite going from *** to CUBC directly. I dun see other banks in the news. Sure we spent the $$$ elsewhere but all the same it makes you wonder. We take extra from *** to cover the losses, It's not a joke, nor am I a fool.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 10:22 pm
Reputation: 220
Cambodia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by frizzie77 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 am

Yerg wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm
It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.
Yup, indeed. First, to check that I've got what I wanted. Second, to check the 'validity' of the notes, knowing perfectly well I'm being recorded. So, IF there would be something wrong (again, that never happened, and I don't think it ever will) I would hold up the fake note to the camera.

Now, why oh why we never saw that in these 'fake note' stories? Oh, wait, I think there was one instance, although the camera also perfectly registered how the real note was swapped with a fake one. That one was hilarious!
User avatar
Yerg
Expatriate
Posts: 995
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm
Reputation: 646
Location: 1984
Great Britain

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by Yerg » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:50 am

frizzie77 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:20 am
Yerg wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:16 pm
It's second nature (for me at least) to check my notes at an ATM (irrespective of the country). If for no other reason to see I had received what I had requested.
Yup, indeed. First, to check that I've got what I wanted. Second, to check the 'validity' of the notes, knowing perfectly well I'm being recorded. So, IF there would be something wrong (again, that never happened, and I don't think it ever will) I would hold up the fake note to the camera.

Now, why oh why we never saw that in these 'fake note' stories? Oh, wait, I think there was one instance, although the camera also perfectly registered how the real note was swapped with a fake one. That one was hilarious!
QED fella! There's a real stable smell around here of utter horse-shit!
User avatar
Username Taken
Raven
Posts: 11139
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm
Reputation: 2602
Contact:
Cambodia

Re: May 2019 Fake $100 bills from *** ATM AND NO THEY WILL NOT BULLY ME!

Post by Username Taken » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:47 am

Mishmash wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 am
My notes were refused -
I'm willing to bet that they weren't refused due to having COPY printed on them.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arget, balsson, Cricket99, Duncan and 330 guests