If someone previously died in your Room Rental/Apartment rental.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

If someone previously died in your Room Rental/Apartment rental.

Post by RickyBobby »

We've all seen the photos of the deceased in their rooms, sometimes undiscovered for several days and it can be ghastly to say the least.

With all the foreigner deaths reported, I often wonder how many, if any, have died where I am staying. One would never really know.

Makes me think it would be a good idea to ask the neighbors about that apartment before I take it. Or maybe it wouldn't bother you?

I don't believe in ghosts or anything. I recently stayed in the room my father died in, but I refused to sleep in the same bed. We switched it out. But that's different.

Anyhow, I think it would be a good idea to keep a registry of known rooms where people have died. If nothing else, we could use it to negotiate a sweet deal.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: If someone previously died in your Room Rental/Apartment rental.

Post by hburns »

I think the saying "what you don't know can't hurt you" applies here but I wonder about this too, especially as some people are not found for quiet sometime after they have passed. How long before a body releases fluids? And if this has happened do guesthouses throw the mattress away or just give it a wipe and turn it over?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

hburns wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:33 am I think the saying "what you don't know can't hurt you" applies here but I wonder about this too, especially as some people are not found for quiet sometime after they have passed. How long before a body releases fluids? And if this has happened do guesthouses throw the mattress away or just give it a wipe and turn it over?
Right? I rented a small apartment once, and then learned later an 'acquaintance' in the same block had died only to be found 3 days later. People talked about the 'usual ooze' that occurs ...

Some unsuspecting bloke will have rented that room later, and may not ever know. May not care either, bit the practical things like the chair he died in or the mattress, sure.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

A lot of the beds have sides that go to the floor. No legs. You lift the mattress and there are lift up wood slats, and once I read about a guy who murdered his GF and put her under there. Makes me want to look, every time. haha.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

My mother was dying in an apartment in Siem Reap. The landlady called the police to get her out of the apartment. I would not agree to move her out and the police refused to do anything. My friendship with the chief of the immigration police did no harm either. I did agree however to have monks come to bless the apartment after my mother died. The landlady was satisfied with this.

Death is a natural process that can occur anywhere. Somebody at sometime has probably died everywhere in any urban area. So I can see no need to get upset about a location where somebody has died.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

samrong01 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 am My mother was dying in an apartment in Siem Reap. The landlady called the police to get her out of the apartment. I would not agree to move her out and the police refused to do anything. My friendship with the chief of the immigration police did no harm either. I did agree however to have monks come to bless the apartment after my mother died. The landlady was satisfied with this.

Death is a natural process that can occur anywhere. Somebody at sometime has probably died everywhere in any urban area. So I can see no need to get upset about a location where somebody has died.
There are houses in the west that are notorious for murders or other ghastly deaths. Even a suicide hanging can make it harder to sell or rent. Some places have to be demolished.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

samrong01 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 am My mother was dying in an apartment in Siem Reap. The landlady called the police to get her out of the apartment. I would not agree to move her out and the police refused to do anything. My friendship with the chief of the immigration police did no harm either. I did agree however to have monks come to bless the apartment after my mother died. The landlady was satisfied with this.

Sorry about your mom, but I can also see why the LL doesn't want someone to die in there.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

2 summers ago -- had a friend come thru and hang a few times .. i told him at first the area i was staying in and then when he stopped by it turns out his friend stayed in same apartment that i was in... crazy coincidence... told me the dude snuck out in the middle of the nite... No wonder why when i signed the lease, the landlord was concerned-- cause of past experience.

Anyway i was cleaning up one day.. moved some drawers out and found an ID... i spoke w/ my friend and turns out it was his!!... the dude already left PP but gave it to my friend..

Nobody died as far as I know but I am positive recreational things were going on
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

A friend of mine who worked as a nurse in a cardiology ward once commented 'there's not a patient in my ward who's lying on a bed that someone hasn't died on'.

At least in hospital they get removed before their body juices start seeping into the mattress etc.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

I know for a fact ive stayed in rooms where people have died, guesthouses around Riverside youd be lucky not to, I rarely get under under the covers anywhere, preferring to keep a barrier between me and mattress. I used to be in the car salvage business in Oz, we used to get cars recoverd from out in the middle of nowhere where people had gone outback and topped themselves and not been discovered for long time, there was nothing you could do to get the odour out of the vehicles, seen $50k vehicles go for cple of grand.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic