If someone previously died in your Room Rental/Apartment rental.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: If someone previously died in your Room Rental/Apartment rental.

Post by A10 »

mouytiet wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 am ...I used to be in the car salvage business in Oz, we used to get cars recoverd from out in the middle of nowhere where people had gone outback and topped themselves and not been discovered for long time, there was nothing you could do to get the odour out of the vehicles, seen $50k vehicles go for cple of grand.
Same here, just in the U.S. Many of the cars wrecked, especially in Long Beach Socal end up over here, so it's not entirely unlikely the car you're driving or riding in over here also had someone die in it.

If you can't get a smell out of a car, only way I've found that works is burning it.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

If you ever want to get a Khmer woman out of yr apartment just tell her you see dead people.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Years back I was having a Khmer girlfriend of mine help me source a new apartment.

One of the units we looked at had A4 sized color pictures of some old monk pasted on almost all of the walls.

The girlfriend didn't spend much time looking around and soon said goodbye to the landlady and ushered me out.

I asked her what was up and she said that "Something bad had happened there." and that I shouldn't rent that apartment.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

mouytiet wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:15 pm If you ever want to get a Khmer woman out of yr apartment just tell her you see dead people.
Gotta try this one !
Don't forget the water buffalo
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Never actually tried it on a Khmer but worked for me in Thailand, Khmers are even more superstitious.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

I've stayed in a lot of rooms where the internal latch is busted. How would that happen? either some guy in there who hasn't paid his bill, staff knocking and the guys refusing to open up- or he's carked it.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

I'd rather not ask and know if stuff went down. but i also accept that there's a high chance of a death in the home, especially if it's an old property, in an old estate.

my usual housewarming includes...

a talk alone in the house to "whomever is in there" to not bother me, some prayers, and lots of incense to change the smell of the house, and I'll cook heavy smelling stuff for days for that same reason.

As long as i can relate to the smell of the place, I feel it's home.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

A10 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 12:08 pm ... cars wrecked, especially in Long Beach Socal end up over here, so it's not entirely unlikely the car you're driving or riding in over here also had someone die in it ...
A long time ago it got more intimate than that.
In early 1992 one of the markets had a huge swag of very attractive motorbike jackets. I'm a cyclist but out of curiosity I browsed through and saw that all the jackets had long, deep graze marks and so forth.
The recent mass-market debut of big noisy motorbikes in Malaysia had seen a huge number of young guys there wipe out, so that nation was probably the source.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

ofparadise wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:40 pm I'd rather not ask and know if stuff went down. but i also accept that there's a high chance of a death in the home, especially if it's an old property, in an old estate.

my usual housewarming includes...

a talk alone in the house to "whomever is in there" to not bother me, some prayers, and lots of incense to change the smell of the house, and I'll cook heavy smelling stuff for days for that same reason.

As long as i can relate to the smell of the place, I feel it's home.
My house warming involves farting copiously, if the spirits can stand this then they and I can live together. I've looped a rope around my wife's leg so she's not going anywhere.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

Death is normal and natural, but it is pretty disgusting to imagine a person seeping and staining his or her way into a mattress.

When my own father was dying, he looked me square in the eye and said, "if it's going to bother you that I'm dying at home, get me out of here now."

Here's a poem for you, by Edgar Guest.

IT takes a heap o' livin' in a house t' make it home,
A heap o' sun an' shadder, an' ye sometimes have t' roam
Afore ye really 'preciate the things ye lef' behind,
An' hunger fer 'em somehow, with 'em allus on yer mind.
It don't make any differunce how rich ye get t' be,
How much yer chairs an' tables cost, how great yer luxury;
It ain't home t' ye, though it be the palace of a king,
Until somehow yer soul is sort o' wrapped round everything.

Home ain't a place that gold can buy or get up in a minute;
Afore it's home there's got t' be a heap o' livin' in it;
Within the walls there's got t' be some babies born, and then
Right there ye've got t' bring 'em up t' women good, an' men;
And gradjerly as time goes on, ye find ye wouldn't part
With anything they ever used -- they've grown into yer heart:
The old high chairs, the playthings, too, the little shoes they wore
Ye hoard; an' if ye could ye'd keep the thumb-marks on the door.

Ye've got t' weep t' make it home, ye've got t' sit an' sigh
An' watch beside a loved one's bed, an' know that Death is nigh;
An' in the stillness o' the night t' see Death's angel come,

An' close the eyes o' her that smiled, an' leave her sweet voice dumb.
Fer these are scenes that grip the heart, an'when yer tears are dried,
Ye find the home is dearer than it was, an' sanctified;
An' tuggin' at ye always are the pleasant memories
O' her that was an' is no more -- ye can't escape from these.

Ye've got t' sing an' dance fer years, ye've got t' romp an' play,
An' learn t' love the things ye have by usin' 'em each day;
Even the roses 'round the porch must blossom year by year
Afore they 'come a part o' ye, suggestin' someone dear
Who used t' love 'em long ago, an' trained 'em jes t' run
The way they do, so's they would get the early mornin' sun;
Ye've got t' love each brick an' stone from cellar up t' dome:
It takes a heap o' livin' in a house t' make it home.

Dad died right at home, and there's no way in hell I would have made him go elsewhere. Now I live here. All good.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic