Buying bike in Vietnam, can I sell/gift it in Cambodia? Issues crossing the border after that?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Cephei
Tourist
Switzerland

Buying bike in Vietnam, can I sell/gift it in Cambodia? Issues crossing the border after that?

Post by Cephei »

Dear Expats!

I am planning a trip from Saigon to Bangkok and was hoping I could do it by motorbike. My plan was to buy a used bike in Saigon ($300-500) and crossing to Cambodia, then go to Phnom Penh, Kampot, Sihanoukville and cross at southern Koh Kong border towards Tart and Koh Chang. Ultimately finishing in Bangkok.

Now I’ve been doing my research and it saw contradicting reports on border crossings.

First and foremost, it seems unlikely I’ll be able to cross the Cambodian/Thai border with my Vietnamese bike, even with the blue card. And even if I do, I’ll be expected to leave the country with the bike, right? Or face heavy fining.

I’m fine leaving my bike in Cambodia and doing the rest of the trip by buses but I’m still hoping I can cross the Vietnam/Cambodia border without too much of a hassle?

Is this possible?

Will they also stamp my passport to make sure I need to bring back to bike to Vietnam?

What if I plan to give the bike as a gift to someone in Cambodia before leaving the country? Will this be an issue when I cross the border to Thailand? Will they ask me “where’s the bike?” at the border?

Hope you can help a little!

Cheers!
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Buying bike in Vietnam, can I sell/gift it in Cambodia? Issues crossing the border after that?

Post by Gator »

Lots of backpackers driving Honda Wins across the border from Vietnam into Cambodia and then selling them before they leave to someone headed to Vietnam. You'll be fine. Good luck on your trip.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Buying bike in Vietnam, can I sell/gift it in Cambodia? Issues crossing the border after that?

Post by phuketrichard »

Cephei wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 pm Dear Expats!

I am planning a trip from Saigon to Bangkok and was hoping I could do it by motorbike. My plan was to buy a used bike in Saigon ($300-500) and crossing to Cambodia, then go to Phnom Penh, Kampot, Sihanoukville and cross at southern Koh Kong border towards Tart and Koh Chang. Ultimately finishing in Bangkok.

Now I’ve been doing my research and it saw contradicting reports on border crossings.

First and foremost, it seems unlikely I’ll be able to cross the Cambodian/Thai border with my Vietnamese bike, even with the blue card. And even if I do, I’ll be expected to leave the country with the bike, right? Or face heavy fining.

I’m fine leaving my bike in Cambodia and doing the rest of the trip by buses but I’m still hoping I can cross the Vietnam/Cambodia border without too much of a hassle?

Is this possible?

Will they also stamp my passport to make sure I need to bring back to bike to Vietnam?

What if I plan to give the bike as a gift to someone in Cambodia before leaving the country? Will this be an issue when I cross the border to Thailand? Will they ask me “where’s the bike?” at the border?

Cheers!
possible;
they do NOT stamp ur passport that you brought a bike in, ( unlike the 80's) only stamp which border you entered at

BUT the bike MUST be in ur name, and you must have the ownership book in ur name to get into Thailand
In Thailand, sell it , give it away or dump it on the side of the road. nobody cares.
Koh Kong is an easy entry point for Thailand...

why stop in Bangkok> use the bike an tour the country, great roads up north for a bike.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cephei
Tourist
Switzerland

Post by Cephei »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:08 am
Cephei wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:18 pm Dear Expats!

Is this possible?

Cheers!
possible;
they do NOT stamp ur passport that you brought a bike in, ( unlike the 80's) only stamp which border you entered at

BUT the bike MUST be in ur name, and you must have the ownership book in ur name to get into Thailand
In Thailand, sell it , give it away or dump it on the side of the road. nobody cares.
Koh Kong is an easy entry point for Thailand...

why stop in Bangkok> use the bike an tour the country, great roads up north for a bike.
Thanks for the tips! It's indeed good news for Cambodia. I'm pretty sure I in the very least will have the blue card of the bike but I don't think it means it will be in my name correct? I'm not sure it's possible seeing as the bikes get sold multiple times in the black market to all kind of travelers. Let's see.

As for the Thai crossing, I'm a bit more worried. Seems like they're more on the fence letting bikes into the country, they ask for a whole lot more paperwork and make sure I leave the country with the bike after 30 days.

My plan is to spend about 2 weeks on and around Koh Chang and take a flight home to Switzerland after that. There's no way I'll be able to leave the country with the bike and I'm not sure it's worth the risk trying to pass the bike into the country.

To be honest, the Vietnam/Cambodia leg of my journey is where I really wish to be on two wheels.

But if you guys are confident there's no issue crossing to Thailand with it and droppig it/giving it away in BKK, then I might consider it.

Thanks again for all the help!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic