Residency permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Residency permit

Post by Tarndog »

A friend of mine has been telling me about the trouble he has had getting a residency permit. He doesn't live in PP, but he still claims that one is needed. Apparently they need to be renewed every year as well, adding to one's pleasure.

Isn't that what a visa is for? If not, then someone explain to me the difference between a residency permit and a visa. It seems to be another layer of financial abuse toward foreigners and corruption among Cambodian government and police.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Residency permit

Post by John Bingham »

Tarndog wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am If not, then someone explain to me the difference between a residency permit and a visa
A visa is a document in your passport that gives you permission to stay in a foreign country for a certain period. A residency permit is proof that you live at a certain address.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am
Tarndog wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am If not, then someone explain to me the difference between a residency permit and a visa
A visa is a document in your passport that gives you permission to stay in a foreign country for a certain period. A residency permit is proof that you live at a certain address.
Do you know if a residency permit is required? In all of Cambodia?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I believe it is but is irregularly enforced. I was told I needed one for a work permit over a year ago but then have never been asked for it.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

John Bingham wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:33 am I believe it is but is irregularly enforced. I was told I needed one for a work permit over a year ago but then have never been asked for it.
Apparently in Kampong Thom it's being heavily enforced, for those considering living there. Let's hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

If it's what I think you're talking about, it's not that difficult to get one.

I think Resident Certificate is a more accurate term and is what is listed as being required for obtaining a work permit, among other documents.

I just got mine from my local Sangkat. They just need a photo and to see your passport and maybe lease agreement / or other document if you own/co-own your property.

I think officially they are only 'good' for 3 months or something like that. So you have one drawn up on an as needed basis.

If you guys are talking about something different, then never mind what I wrote.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I needed one to get my D/L and landlord took me to sangkat to get it. Not difficult. Could hit you up for a couple of dollars but will not be much. Had to show the lease as well to prove to them where I lived.
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

Brody wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:04 pm If it's what I think you're talking about, it's not that difficult to get one.

I think Resident Certificate is a more accurate term and is what is listed as being required for obtaining a work permit, among other documents.

I just got mine from my local Sangkat. They just need a photo and to see your passport and maybe lease agreement / or other document if you own/co-own your property.

I think officially they are only 'good' for 3 months or something like that. So you have one drawn up on an as needed basis.

If you guys are talking about something different, then never mind what I wrote.
I think you are correct. I am on a 1 year renewable retirement Visa. Immigration has never asked me to produce a "Residence Certificate." Previously, when working and applying for a work permit I did have to provide evidence of where I was living. A simple letter signed by your landlord and yourself and rubber stamped by the local Sangkat (about $10) was fine.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Residency Permit & Certificate of Residence are the same document.

Technically whenever you obtain a new Visa EOS you are supposed to register it with your Sangkat and obtain a new Certificate of Residence, reality is enforcement is extremely lax on this and most Sangkat admin officials aren't even aware of it.

The only time most foreigners will require one is when applying for their WP or DL.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Some banks require one before they will open an account.
When I went to get one, the sangkat wanted to know what it was for, and the purpose was stated on the certificate. Of course that means you have to get another one if you want one later on for a DL etc.
I seem to remember I paid $10 by way of suggested donation to the lady who typed it up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic