Residency permit

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Residency permit

Post by Freightdog »

Residency certificate
Having just been through this process with our current Sangkat, I thought I’d provide some details, c.June 2022. I’ve no idea if this is consistent, standard practice, as each Sangkat seems to have its own interpretation of its purpose. I was given a handwritten list of their requirements (they conveniently had someone who spoke English, which was nearly fortunate)

Our Sangkat, Tuol Sangke 1, required
  • A copy of the lease
  • A copy of my passport
  • A copy of my visa
  • Photo of me
  • Proof that the owner of the building owned the building, and also to prove that the building was within their Sangkat.
Two hours later, they then wanted-
  • Proof that SWMBO and I were a couple
(because we are both thumb printed on the lease, but they now wanted a photo of us together!)
  • Building owner, present
The stumbling points were that the original lease didn’t have an accurate address, and although it had been “signed” by the village office, it was in fact not signed correctly (or legitimately), and therefore the Sangkat refused to accept the lease until a new lease was prepared. Which was also fortunate, in a way, because it forced the building owner to present themselves at the Sangkat office, which was a further requirement that was added as they wanted the building owner to confirm to the Sangkat office that we were in fact the lessees.

The residence certificate is a requirement of the police record, applied for at the Ministry of Justice (on Sisowath). If, like me, you need documents like this regularly, it’s worth getting the residency thing done sooner than later. Normal turnaround is a minimum of 3 working days, as noted in Khmer on a big, official notice board. Apparently not including national holidays or the first working day after a national holiday. They did this in 1 day (because of my sweet temperament)
Surprisingly, I was not forced to part with any money, but that might be because they realised I was getting pissed off with them for adding a new item to the list every time I walked in.

As an aside, one surprising item recently, was that I was able, via a chat window on the Cambodia Post website, to get a proper full address, including Village name, and up to date 6 digit postcode. It took about 10 minutes, and was surprising efficient.
There’s at least one Cambodian government online portal that you have to be able to provide all the address info for, and is useful with courier deliveries from overseas.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Has this been replaced with the online version for an extension based on retirement?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kenr wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:45 am Has this been replaced with the online version for an extension based on retirement?
I confess, I do not know- I’ll leave that to someone genuinely knowledgeable to answer.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

What are the advantages for a foreigner in having a Residency Permit. Am I missing out on something.? I have lived here for 19 years, [ which includes 2 years under covid in Australia ] , same address in PP for the last 15 years, and have never had the need to require a Residency Permit.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:56 am What are the advantages for a foreigner in having a Residency Permit. Am I missing out on something.? I have lived here for 19 years, [ which includes 2 years under covid in Australia ] , same address in PP for the last 15 years, and have never had the need to require a Residency Permit.
For one, It’s a mandatory requirement of the Police record, if you need one.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 am
Tootsfriend wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:56 am What are the advantages for a foreigner in having a Residency Permit. Am I missing out on something.? I have lived here for 19 years, [ which includes 2 years under covid in Australia ] , same address in PP for the last 15 years, and have never had the need to require a Residency Permit.
For one, It’s a mandatory requirement of the Police record, if you need one.
The standard format used by most sangkats won't be sufficient for that purpose, if you need a police record make sure the sangkat contacts the ministry of justice so you get the correct one.

Official listed fee is 2,000 r by the way, for the 'residency certificate's.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:34 am
Freightdog wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 am For one, It’s a mandatory requirement of the Police record, if you need one.
The standard format used by most sangkats won't be sufficient for that purpose, if you need a police record make sure the sangkat contacts the ministry of justice so you get the correct one.

Official listed fee is 2,000 r by the way, for the 'residency certificate's.
You just have to admire the coordination involved in ensuring that each government agency is incompatible with the next.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Ok, I’m stupid. What exactly is the residency permit for and is one needed for an ER extension? I was under the impression that all that was needed for an ER extension is to be registered online with your landlord.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kenr wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:02 am Ok, I’m stupid. What exactly is the residency permit for and is one needed for an ER extension? I was under the impression that all that was needed for an ER extension is to be registered online with your landlord.
The last three times I extended my ER visa, I didn’t need to produce any documentation other than my passport c/w current visa or extension, also had to show I was registered online with FPCS (screenshot taken by agent)
I live in a private residence (no landlord) so I obtained a letter from the notary? at the local police station (fee/tea money paid, $20 if I recall correctly) could this possibly be a residency permit? but did not have to provide a copy for visa extension purposes.

Earlier when applying for my extensions (using a different agent) I had to sign a document stating I had a monthly income of $1,400 (from outside of Cambodia) the document was provided by the agent and all I had to do was enter my full name and sign it.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Kenr wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:02 am Ok, I’m stupid. What exactly is the residency permit for and is one needed for an ER extension? I was under the impression that all that was needed for an ER extension is to be registered online with your landlord.
It's needed when you first apply for a driving license or work permit, or when you re-apply and you've changed address.

It's also needed if you need a police report from the ministry of justice.

it's valid for three months from the day of issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic