15 Homeless Rounded Up and Removed from Riverside

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

15 Homeless Rounded Up and Removed from Riverside

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On Thursday morning, 2 May 2019, Mr. Sok Penhvuth, governor of Khan Daun Penh district, ordered Yas Yuthy Districts Deputy District Leader to round up the homeless people living and sleeping on the pavements and public gardens in the Riverside area of Daun Penh, a popular area with tourists visiting Phnom Penh.
Accordingly, at 8:30am that morning, the Daun Penh police officers went to work and collected 15 people, including 7 women and 2 children and took them away in a truck to the Veterans and Social Affairs of Phnom Penh and the Youth Rehabilitation Center, where if they volunteer for reeducation, they will receive instruction and training.
[CEO News Note: This is what the article says.]
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 15 Homeless Rounded Up and Removed from Riverside

Post by John Bingham »

I feel sad for any children caught up in these raids, but they are already in a terrible situation with fucked-up junkies and glue-sniffers as guardians abusing them and anyone nearby. Anyone who has been near the riverside would recognize this, these are screwed-up people who need to be taken away and helped. They horrify locals and tourists alike and give the city a bad name. We had a similar problem with glue-sniffers in my home city in the early 80s. One minute you'd be walking along the quays feeling fine and the next you'd feel like you were on the set a zombie movie. They would regularly jump into the river and drown, which was sad for their families but nobody else gave a fuck about the violent deranged stoned fuckers.
Back in the "good old"/ "bad old" days in Phnom Penh there were gangs of amputees and glue-sniffers who would swarm on anyone nearby who didn't have their guard up.
People come here on a visit and then encounter these people in popular tourist areas, and they go away thinking that the whole country is like that. It's not, begging is very rare outside tourist areas. It certainly exists, but not to the extent you would imagine by observing the riverside. Old ladies/ blind musicians etc wander by the odd time and I chuck them a few riel but that relentless shit on the quays is just annoying and not representative of the whole country. My mother visited here in 2006 and was horrified because she was pursued by beggars with kids whose heads looked like televisions etc. She wasn't at all bothered in the Bronx or Brixton but this place got to her and she wanted to leave prematurely and that saddened me. It worked out in the end, she liked Siem Reap a bit but couldn't wait to get back to Singapore.
That said, there are about a million times more beggars in the west than here. Any time I visit my home city in Europe I am shocked by the amount of beggars/ blaggers. Because smoking is banned inside pubs they have these areas outside with awnings. tables, fans and a barrier etc. Even though you might be deep in conversation with some friend you haven't seen for years, there is a constant stream of idiots trying to tell you some BS hard-luck story about needing a fucking hostel when they are obviously gouged out on smack and you can see their track marks and abscesses. Either that or some annoying Romani gypsy with a kid hanging off her flabby tits shaking a can at you.
I suppose I have to laugh at the irony of living in Cambodia and then returning home and having someone who is likely on a whole lot of benefits checking you out and thinking you're someone rich who is going to listen to their garbage.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Where is stylish when you need her? :o
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

That said, there are about a million times more beggars in the west than here.
Where are you from, South Central? The Bronx? Any Norther English city?
Your West definitely isn't mine
gregd
Tourist
Canada

Post by gregd »

These are people we're talking about, not animals. They should be treated as such. I hope they are genuinely given assistance and help with finding future opportunities for themselves. Obviously that's wishful thinking. Same goes for the children. Everyone by now knows how those "Youth Rehabilitation Centres" actually function. I wish all these people the best, and I hope they get the help they require.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

logos wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:05 am
That said, there are about a million times more beggars in the west than here.
Where are you from, South Central? The Bronx? Any Norther English city?
Your West definitely isn't mine
There's homeless people all over downtown San Francisco. They have rows of tents of homeless people living in downtown Los Angeles.

Seattle, Vancouver, the whole west coast.

Check out this map of human shit in San Francisco:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04- ... uman-feces
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It's easy to look at these people with contempt and disgust. pass them off as useless junkies, round them up and put them out of sight and out of mind, but each and every one of us is a product of our own circumstance. It's just that most of us were fortunate enough to come from reasonably good and healthy circumstances. But we all had a small chance of being born into the wrong family, in the wrong part of town, surrounded by poverty and the wrong types, denied the basic opportunities that most people take for granted, and abandoned to survive (in the literal sense) with the few cards we were dealt.

We look at children in these circumstances and feel empathy and pity for them, and most of us have a natural inclination to want to do something to help. But there's a tendency to look at adults and assume that because they're adults, it must, even in a small way, be of their own making. But they were children once too, and if no-one ever gave them the much needed leg-up to help them change their circumstances, the only thing that will change for them is growing older. Only now, because they're older and don't generate the same kind of response that children generate, they're even less likely to get help.

I hate to sound like the bleeding liberal, but there's some truth in the fact that society itself has to take some responsibility for people ending up like that.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

More homeless people were removed from Riverside by police today.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: On May 17, 2019, Daun Penh District police officers rounded up 13 homeless people, including 2 children, living in the Riverside area on the river bank, in the public park, and on pavements in front of residents' houses in Daun Penh district.
They were sent to the Veterans and Youth Rehabilitation Department of Phnom Penh to receive voluntary instruction, teaching, and training.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

That guy with the red shirt was pissing me off yesterday. The ATM I went to had a window where you can see straight through to the 2 machines. He was standing with his face to the window staring through. I had to get out a few hundred and didn't particularly want anyone to see, and he's standing about 2 feet behind me so I felt a bit uncomfortable. When I went outside I asked the guard about it and he just shrugged like as if it wasn't his problem. The nutter turned around and just gave a big toothless vacant laugh, and I figured then he was more likely just mentally deranged or on glue than particularly dangerous.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

xandreu wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm
I hate to sound like the bleeding liberal, but there's some truth in the fact that society itself has to take some responsibility for people ending up like that.
Then you should be pleased. Society has taken responsibility and arranged for them to get training and re-education. Now, what will they do with that opportunity? Make the most of it?? I guaran-fucking-tee you they won't.

So no longer will it be society's responsibility. They will have wasted the opportunity with no one else to blame.

Just like anywhere else in the world, equal opportunity does not equal equal outcome. Some people will do more with the same opportunity than others. These people don't want to provide their own input to make their lives better. They want to be GIVEN equal outcome. Some people can't be helped.
Just how it is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic