15 Homeless Rounded Up and Removed from Riverside

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: 15 Homeless Rounded Up and Removed from Riverside

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Tarndog wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 11:07 am
xandreu wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:01 pm
I hate to sound like the bleeding liberal, but there's some truth in the fact that society itself has to take some responsibility for people ending up like that.
Then you should be pleased. Society has taken responsibility and arranged for them to get training and re-education. Now, what will they do with that opportunity? Make the most of it?? I guaran-fucking-tee you they won't.

So no longer will it be society's responsibility. They will have wasted the opportunity with no one else to blame.

Just like anywhere else in the world, equal opportunity does not equal equal outcome. Some people will do more with the same opportunity than others. These people don't want to provide their own input to make their lives better. They want to be GIVEN equal outcome. Some people can't be helped.
Just how it is.
Yes, they have only themselves to blame.
These lazy bludgers with their mental illnesses just can't be helped can they Tarndog?
' Just how it is.

PS, have you ever had a friend or family member with severe mental illness?
Just curious.
Did you leave them in the gutter too , after they failed rehab first time around?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I hate to sound like the bleeding liberal, but there's some truth in the fact that society itself has to take some responsibility for people ending up like that.
Then you should be pleased. Society has taken responsibility and arranged for them to get training and re-education. Now, what will they do with that opportunity? Make the most of it?? I guaran-fucking-tee you they won't.

So no longer will it be society's responsibility. They will have wasted the opportunity with no one else to blame.

Just like anywhere else in the world, equal opportunity does not equal equal outcome. Some people will do more with the same opportunity than others. These people don't want to provide their own input to make their lives better. They want to be GIVEN equal outcome. Some people can't be helped.
Just how it is.
Oh how I'd love to live in your world. Wouldn't we all? A world where everything is black or white. Good or bad. Up or down. Ones or zeros. A very binary view of the world.

You're making the classic mistake of looking at these very complex, multifaceted problems through privileged and educated eyes. And why wouldn't you? Your privileged and educated life is all you've ever known. Therefore, your opinions, your thought processes, your actions (and the actions of those around you) and the way you view the world are proper and correct, and anyone who deviates from this must somehow be sub-human.

All you've ever known couldn't possibly be further from what THESE people have ever known. These people weren't afforded the education you received. They probably weren't afforded any education whatsoever. All THEY'VE ever known is poverty, crime, hunger and survival on a level you've only ever experience in your worst nightmares.

As I said in my original post, we are ALL a product of our own individual circumstance. Simply saying to someone who's only ever know a life like this "Just do this, just do that, and your life will be better" is such a massive oversimplification, it's laughable.

Giving these people training and re-education is clearly a step in the right direction, but it's only the first step, and it's success depends on the quality of training and re-education they receive. Often, this approach, as I've pointed out, originates from those who have no idea what these people have been through, and have no understanding of what these people have now accepted as 'normalized behavior'.

When the only way you've ever know how to survive is to steal and scavenge for food. When all you've ever known since you were a little kid to escape your horrific life , even for brief periods, is to take drugs, when all you've ever known of the world since you were a little child was people who prey on you and use you for their own advantage, it's understandable that it takes a little more than a bit of 'training and re-education' to get you to change your ways.

Assuming that they should somehow be grateful for the crumbs of 're-education' someone throws at them, and then blaming them if it doesn't work first time, is plain absurd.

I'll say it again. These people are products of their circumstances. In the exact same way we all are. Would any of us be the people we are today if we had been born into the circumstances these people were?

More understanding and less judgment goes a long way in tackling these issues.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

xandreu wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:36 pm

Just how it is.
Oh how I'd love to live in your world. Wouldn't we all? A world where everything is black or white. Good or bad. Up or down. Ones or zeros. A very binary view of the world.

You're making the classic mistake of looking at these very complex, multifaceted problems through privileged and educated eyes. And why wouldn't you? Your privileged and educated life is all you've ever known. Therefore, your opinions, your thought processes, your actions (and the actions of those around you) and the way you view the world are proper and correct, and anyone who deviates from this must somehow be sub-human.

All you've ever known couldn't possibly be further from what THESE people have ever known. These people weren't afforded the education you received. They probably weren't afforded any education whatsoever. All THEY'VE ever known is poverty, crime, hunger and survival on a level you've only ever experience in your worst nightmares.

As I said in my original post, we are ALL a product of our own individual circumstance. Simply saying to someone who's only ever know a life like this "Just do this, just do that, and your life will be better" is such a massive oversimplification, it's laughable.

Giving these people training and re-education is clearly a step in the right direction, but it's only the first step, and it's success depends on the quality of training and re-education they receive. Often, this approach, as I've pointed out, originates from those who have no idea what these people have been through, and have no understanding of what these people have now accepted as 'normalized behavior'.

When the only way you've ever know how to survive is to steal and scavenge for food. When all you've ever known since you were a little kid to escape your horrific life , even for brief periods, is to take drugs, when all you've ever known of the world since you were a little child was people who prey on you and use you for their own advantage, it's understandable that it takes a little more than a bit of 'training and re-education' to get you to change your ways.

Assuming that they should somehow be grateful for the crumbs of 're-education' someone throws at them, and then blaming them if it doesn't work first time, is plain absurd.

I'll say it again. These people are products of their circumstances. In the exact same way we all are. Would any of us be the people we are today if we had been born into the circumstances these people were?

More understanding and less judgment goes a long way in tackling these issues.
Attention mods!

I recommend Xandreu's reply to be used as a guide on how to disagree on this forum, possibly to be pinned at the very top so as to show all members how to respectfully disagree.

He and I have a difference of opinion, BUT HE DID NOT use that as an excuse to call me a bunch of filthy names or demean my character, like often is the case by certain people on CEO. Rather, he offered dependable arguments in support of his position, and even used what I thought were cute, comedic parallels to keep the post and thread as light-hearted as possible (I liked the binary 1s and 0s reference!).

Kudos to you, Xandreu. You've demonstrated class and I hope others can follow your style.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Wonder whatever happened to "Lefty" aka "Cobra"?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic