50+ marriage ban repealed?

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 50+ marriage ban repealed?

Post by phuketrichard » Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm

whatwat wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:40 pm
If you’re legally married to a local (opposite sex) then they are entitled to your pension when you (inevitably) croak. If you’re not then she gets fuck all.

Unless you’re savvy enough to have set her up with a house/land, education etc then she’s back to square one, probably with a kid in tow, older and less employable.

I’ve seen it many times. Very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not for America where she would have had to have lived in the states to get any of her dead husbands SS
Not sure about other countries, but sure its along the same lines.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer » Fri May 03, 2019 2:12 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:26 pm
whatwat wrote:
If you’re legally married to a local (opposite sex) then they are entitled to your pension when you (inevitably) croak. If you’re not then she gets fuck all.

Unless you’re savvy enough to have set her up with a house/land, education etc then she’s back to square one, probably with a kid in tow, older and less employable.

Not for America where she would have had to have lived in the states to get any of her dead husbands SS
Not sure about other countries, but sure its along the same lines.
I think that's generally correct. Each country and each employer pension scheme may have different rules but I would not rate the chances of a Cambodian wife of a barang getting much of his pension benefits from his home country. The best thing he can do for her is to put assets in joint names and/or make Wills (in both his home country and in Cambodia). A Cambodian Will needs to be notarised. Being married will not make much difference to her rights.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken » Fri May 03, 2019 2:32 pm

whatwat wrote:

It can work the other way as well.
The barang dies and she keeps the assets. She carries on like she's just won the lottery. All gone in a few months.
... give 'em a quick, short, sharp shock ...

https://BooksAboutCambodia.com
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am

Kammekor wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:53 am
Last January the requirement was still in place, so....
Still protected!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic