Suggestions on Salary

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Suggestions on Salary

Post by AndyKK »

With spending up the $20 mark last night I am tucking in to my second meal of today. That's where Mr Bingham you hit the nail on the head. Too much ordering and having a little of all. One good meal last night for two. And today two good helpings. Now I would normally freeze some of the food for another day, but not with the power cuts. Bearing in mind that I now have one portion of curry left. Tomorrow I will be curried out.
India '92' Samosa 2 for breakfast, cost 4 English pennies.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
grvsekhri
Tourist
Singapore

Post by grvsekhri »

JerryCan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm This is just my view, but I've been in Phnom Penh for work for about a decade and make right around what you're being offered (slightly less as I am on partial commission), but I'm ready to call it quits and move. I've put my notice in at my company I've been at since 2010 and am leaving because I'm worn out from the city life and all the "luxury" that can be had. I don't hate the city, but I feel completely empty and spent.

There's only so much that eating out at restaurants and saving some cash can do for you, and at the end of the day I do somewhat regret not staying back home with my wife for the sake of having a community and infrastructure. Granted, we might have relatively low salaries compared to the richer people, but by the same token, driving a nice car, eating expensive food and having a nice bike here only makes me feel like I'm slightly important in a shite pile of a town no one cares about. Not that prestige is important as I frankly don't care, but I feel like my priorities should have been more focused on something else besides working and "enjoying" the "good life".

I've made my friends and acquaintances here for sure and I've learned a lot during my time, but in the end with the money I have saved up and finally feel just a little bit comfortable to pack up and move somewhere else, I really do wish I hadn't bothered at times. I'd rather trade the cash I have for that two bedroom cottage I grew up in just outside the city with my family, looking out at the farmlands and counting the stars at night. I feel like life was much better then, even though I had nothing. Now that I have a lot more, I feel like I have less though, and it's not at all satisfying or fulfilling.

Sorry for the bit of a book/rant, but a recent passing of a friend has really got me wondering if I have my life in order, or if I'm just part of a rat race that in the end, doesn't matter at all and I've been wasting my life working for a small stack of printed paper.

I'll stop now.
Good Luck brother, I want to live luxurious just to explore. I never lived luxurious life(I m not doing this to show off to anyone? . But at end my more focus would b on saving money for future and family.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Curious; is there any workaround on the income tax? Like say if you could negotiate some cash bonus's and take a lower salary. Can some of it be hidden?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 am Curious; is there any workaround on the income tax? Like say if you could negotiate some cash bonus's and take a lower salary. Can some of it be hidden?

Silence, exile, and cunning.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

grvsekhri wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Good Luck brother, I want to live luxurious just to explore. I never lived luxurious life(I m not doing this to show off to anyone? . But at end my more focus would b on saving money for future and family.
20 years ago I was saying the exact same thing, so I understand. I'm just saying that now I have some money saved up and have my family "taken care of", I am starting to regret the time I could have spent with them instead of being at work.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

JerryCan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am
20 years ago I was saying the exact same thing, so I understand. I'm just saying that now I have some money saved up and have my family "taken care of", I am starting to regret the time I could have spent with them instead of being at work.
You can make up for that lost time by spending time with your grand kids.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

RickyBobby wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 am Curious; is there any workaround on the income tax? Like say if you could negotiate some cash bonus's and take a lower salary. Can some of it be hidden?

As I said earlier, negotiate salary as nett.

Gross salary is an illusion.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

JerryCan wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am
I have done the same, been the hard worker with most away from the family. My friend was in the same position, also said the same as you. But this was a saying at a later date, being that he had bought his house and had extensions and a garage to house his vintage bike collection.
I said I wonder if at the time you did what you are saying now! Would you have been happy, and your wife too. How would your son be positioned now without his degree.
Swings and roundabouts.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

JerryCan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 pm This is just my view, but I've been in Phnom Penh for work for about a decade and make right around what you're being offered (slightly less as I am on partial commission), but I'm ready to call it quits and move. I've put my notice in at my company I've been at since 2010 and am leaving because I'm worn out from the city life and all the "luxury" that can be had. I don't hate the city, but I feel completely empty and spent.

There's only so much that eating out at restaurants and saving some cash can do for you, and at the end of the day I do somewhat regret not staying back home with my wife for the sake of having a community and infrastructure. Granted, we might have relatively low salaries compared to the richer people, but by the same token, driving a nice car, eating expensive food and having a nice bike here only makes me feel like I'm slightly important in a shite pile of a town no one cares about. Not that prestige is important as I frankly don't care, but I feel like my priorities should have been more focused on something else besides working and "enjoying" the "good life".

I've made my friends and acquaintances here for sure and I've learned a lot during my time, but in the end with the money I have saved up and finally feel just a little bit comfortable to pack up and move somewhere else, I really do wish I hadn't bothered at times. I'd rather trade the cash I have for that two bedroom cottage I grew up in just outside the city with my family, looking out at the farmlands and counting the stars at night. I feel like life was much better then, even though I had nothing. Now that I have a lot more, I feel like I have less though, and it's not at all satisfying or fulfilling.

Sorry for the bit of a book/rant, but a recent passing of a friend has really got me wondering if I have my life in order, or if I'm just part of a rat race that in the end, doesn't matter at all and I've been wasting my life working for a small stack of printed paper.

I'll stop now.
Good post Jerrycan
I think when grading luxury, you have to include the surrounding infrastructure. A nice apartment in a 3rd world shit-hole isnt really luxury.

For the OP, the extra disposable income/ability to save more seems the main upside for moving from Sing to PP.
What about as a career move ? Would sticking it out in Singapore provide better job prospects in the long-term ?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jerry Atrick wrote:
grvsekhri wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 pm Thanks everyone for ur inputs.

Taxation in Singapore at my Salary is 7%, i understand that in combodia it would b flat 20%. Correct me if i am wrong.

Here, I negotiate my salary in net; let your employer shoulder all tax and other deductions. Saves hassle. All expats in my group work on same arrangement. My payslip does show my contributions being paid etc, so all good on that front.
Taxes here really aren't a big deal. It goes by brackets and you're only taxed the higher percentage of that higher bracket. He'll likely pay less than 20%. If I remember correctly, the highest bracket is 10% for anything OVER 2k. So the first 2k would be well under that (many different brackets there), and then the 2.7k that's over 2k would be at 10% or so. I don't have the paper in front of me so I might be wrong, but that's the gist of it.
Ex:
0-200$=free
200-400=3%
4-600=5%
Etc

Either way, you'll be fine on 4.7k here, and you'll have a much nicer lifestyle than you would I'm Singapore. Nice apartment for $600-1300 depending on your taste (including electricity), then another k or so for living expenses and the rest is either savings or play money (hopefully both).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic