Suggestions on Salary

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Suggestions on Salary

Post by Jerry Atrick »

grvsekhri wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:59 pm Thanks everyone for ur inputs.

Taxation in Singapore at my Salary is 7%, i understand that in combodia it would b flat 20%. Correct me if i am wrong.

Here, I negotiate my salary in net; let your employer shoulder all tax and other deductions. Saves hassle. All expats in my group work on same arrangement. My payslip does show my contributions being paid etc, so all good on that front.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you would be looking for upscale housing you may want to look just a little outside town at -
I could not find a rental price. Buying gives you an example of the lowest level $1.4million. The area is moving fast too mainly Khmer buyers.
This is a park in the development open free to all.

Regarding Indian restaurants there are plentiful in Phnom Penh, I eat Indian food often and pay @$15 per visit.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
grvsekhri
Tourist
Singapore

Post by grvsekhri »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:01 pm If you would be looking for upscale housing you may want to look just a little outside town at -
I could not find a rental price. Buying gives you an example of the lowest level $1.4million. The area is moving fast too mainly Khmer buyers.

Regarding Indian restaurants there are plentiful in Phnom Penh, I eat Indian food often and pay @$15 per visit.
USD 15 Per visit.. It's 2 times expensive than Singapore for Indian food.. Haha. Unless resturant is very big resturant.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if ur working in PP you dont want live across any bridge
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:01 pm Regarding Indian restaurants there are plentiful in Phnom Penh, I eat Indian food often and pay @$15 per visit.
You can get Indian for less than that, a thali is only about $6-$7.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

grvsekhri wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:04 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:01 pm If you would be looking for upscale housing you may want to look just a little outside town at -

USD 15 Per visit.. It's 2 times expensive than Singapore for Indian food.. Haha. Unless resturant is very big resturant.
It's equivalent to the prices I would pay in the UK. The thing is if you want good food be prepared to pay for it.
I don't know Singapore, but I would expect it is more advanced than Cambodia in just about every way possible. There is good accommodation to be had in Phnom Penh, and the same goes be prepared to pay for it. Also where you are there would be a substantial Indian community-based, but probably not here. One thing that gets played down very much is "Racism" it exists. I live in a area with not many foreigners and I get remarks here and there, I am white, but when you have monies it don't seem to bother too much. Medical situations I would say your better placed where you are too.
Tax! Residents pay less % then none residents. If it's your own business the lower tax bracket is now only available to Khmer.
Part of a menu to compare -
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:01 pm Regarding Indian restaurants there are plentiful in Phnom Penh, I eat Indian food often and pay @$15 per visit.
John Bingham you certainly can get a Thali for that price and also a curry with Nan $3+ on the riverside. But! I eat Indian food often to enjoy, and I am being realistic about the prices. I would not like to cloud someone's expectations of how you could eat good on dall and rice daily for a few dollers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:07 pm if ur working in PP you dont want live across any bridge
Why? That's the question. Obviously you are quoting because of traffic. I wouldn't say it was any more congested then any other road in Phnom Penh. If I want to avoid traffic in town I get the ferry instead. $1 = moto and 2 people.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

This is just my view, but I've been in Phnom Penh for work for about a decade and make right around what you're being offered (slightly less as I am on partial commission), but I'm ready to call it quits and move. I've put my notice in at my company I've been at since 2010 and am leaving because I'm worn out from the city life and all the "luxury" that can be had. I don't hate the city, but I feel completely empty and spent.

There's only so much that eating out at restaurants and saving some cash can do for you, and at the end of the day I do somewhat regret not staying back home with my wife for the sake of having a community and infrastructure. Granted, we might have relatively low salaries compared to the richer people, but by the same token, driving a nice car, eating expensive food and having a nice bike here only makes me feel like I'm slightly important in a shite pile of a town no one cares about. Not that prestige is important as I frankly don't care, but I feel like my priorities should have been more focused on something else besides working and "enjoying" the "good life".

I've made my friends and acquaintances here for sure and I've learned a lot during my time, but in the end with the money I have saved up and finally feel just a little bit comfortable to pack up and move somewhere else, I really do wish I hadn't bothered at times. I'd rather trade the cash I have for that two bedroom cottage I grew up in just outside the city with my family, looking out at the farmlands and counting the stars at night. I feel like life was much better then, even though I had nothing. Now that I have a lot more, I feel like I have less though, and it's not at all satisfying or fulfilling.

Sorry for the bit of a book/rant, but a recent passing of a friend has really got me wondering if I have my life in order, or if I'm just part of a rat race that in the end, doesn't matter at all and I've been wasting my life working for a small stack of printed paper.

I'll stop now.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:32 pm
John Bingham you certainly can get a Thali for that price and also a curry with Nan $3+ on the riverside. But! I eat Indian food often to enjoy, and I am being realistic about the prices. I would not like to cloud someone's expectations of how you could eat good on dall and rice daily for a few dollers.
Indian food is one of my favorites and I eat it at least once a week, sometimes in but mainly takeaway. The problem I always have with Indian food is that the menus are generally geared towards groups of people. Individual dishes are a bit too big for one person and when combined I end up with way too much to eat, besides costing $4 - $8 each. I believe the OP is of Indian origin and is also likely to be eating alone for at least some of the time. I wasn't talking about dal & chapati or any curry & nan deals! I don't remember eating one of those since I was stuck in a train station or one-horse town in actual India way back.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic