Suggestions on Salary

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Suggestions on Salary

Post by cambo swa »

You are getting a 36% increase in salary (+$1800 USD/month) and moving from the most expensive city in the world to a 3rd world country. And your question is???
grvsekhri
Tourist
Singapore

Post by grvsekhri »

cambo swa wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:31 pm You are getting a 36% increase in salary (+$1800 USD/month) and moving from the most expensive city in the world to a 3rd world country. And your question is???
This most expensive country has only 7% tax on Salary and World class infrastructure. So my Question is if i m sacrificing this.. Can i have luxurious lifestyle(which i m not having in Singapore) in Cambodia with above salary while saving good sum of money.
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

grvsekhri wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 am
cambo swa wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:31 pm You are getting a 36% increase in salary (+$1800 USD/month) and moving from the most expensive city in the world to a 3rd world country. And your question is???
This most expensive country has only 7% tax on Salary and World class infrastructure. So my Question is if i m sacrificing this.. Can i have luxurious lifestyle(which i m not having in Singapore) in Cambodia with above salary while saving good sum of money.
I'd say your lifestyle will be MUCH better in PP, albeit absent Singapore's infrastructure and other offerings.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

You would live like a king on $4.7k a month here.
Nice 1 bedroom apartment in BKK1 $500 a month and would find a place that has backup power, as we are going through rolling blackouts atm.
Electricity about $100 a month if your use AC continuously
Maid/cleaner 2 times a week 3 hours cost me $80 a month
Gym membership in BKK about $700 a year
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Yo can have a very luxerious lifestyle in your apartment, in the restaurants and bars, but you will live in the extremely congested, polluted, noisy city called Phnom Penh.

That city doesn't suit everyone, and it'll be quite the opposite of what you've been used to in the extremely well organized city of Singapore.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Why not come for a visit first, before you decide?
grvsekhri
Tourist
Singapore

Post by grvsekhri »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 am
Yo can have a very luxerious lifestyle in your apartment, in the restaurants and bars, but you will live in the extremely congested, polluted, noisy city called Phnom Penh.

That city doesn't suit everyone, and it'll be quite the opposite of what you've been used to in the extremely well organized city of Singapore.
Thanks buddy, Though i m living in Singapore for long time but originally i m from Indian. So used to of unorganised environment. :D
grvsekhri
Tourist
Singapore

Post by grvsekhri »

Kammekor wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:09 am Why not come for a visit first, before you decide?
I have been PP, but as a tourist but now i planning to stay for longer. So experience and expenses will b different. I didn't find PP that bad. :D
KOW happiness
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by KOW happiness »

I suppose it depends on what you tend to spend your money on and what main living expenses might be to sustain the lifestyle you are used to in Singapore.

On the plus side, the cost of living in Cambodia (generally) is around 70% cheaper than in Singapore. Phnom Penh not quite so much but still very significantly so.

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of ... /singapore

The negative side can obviously be the reliability of services, the infrastructure, the traffic and roads, the issues which living in a 3rd world country brings, education and health care etc. This shouldn't apply to well paid Cambodians so much, however the average life expectancy for a male living in Cambodia rather than Singapore is 20.3 years less!

https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/compare ... /singapore

If you haven't a car and wished to own one (I prefer motorbikes myself, too much congestion already!), then you'll be happily surprised that is doesn't cost a $$$,$$$ SGN($) amount to put a new Toyota Corolla Altis on the roads here....

Also if you like Singaporean laws, legal framework, safety (I'm not sure there's a Khmer word for this), cleanliness etc. then you'll be in for a shock. If you want to meet warm welcoming friendly people in a prosperous environment but fighting against adversities, then you are coming to the right place I think :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Take the offer, you'll live very well on 2/3rds of that

FYI:
find a nice place as close to your work to cut down on traveling time kin the city
DONT tel any hostess how much you make>>>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic