Sex Education in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sex Education in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Talking seriously about sex and giving teenagers good information about sex remains largely taboo in Cambodia, but some people are speaking out about the need for better sexual education.

April 26, 2019
De-sexing SEX in schools
Dr. Victor Ti / Khmer Times
Several decades ago, Asian society was an extremely shy society. The word sex was a taboo at home and in school. Nobody needed to be reminded about it. The subject was hardly brought up, tacitly if ever, and almost always spontaneously shot down, often with a sneered look by somebody. Almost invariably, the abrupt response would sounded something like this, “Shut up, don’t be dirty-minded, can’t we discuss something else?”

Time changes. The advancement of information technology is a great disruptor of the way people perceive things. And that determines how they behave. Over the past few decades, the openness to discussion about sex has changed tremendously. Sex is there in the web, whatever you want to see. Anytime, with a single click, explicit sex, once X-rated or obscene appears on the screen almost instantaneously. Anybody, regardless of their age, can put their finger on the mouse and just click.

In this era of advanced information technology, the web takes major control of our teens’ mind more than ever. We should not leave our teens entirely to the internet to educate them on sex. We need to exert our positive influence through proper sex education in school.

Sex education in school at this time is even more crucial than ever, not because there is a paucity of information about sex, but rather there is a serious imbalance in the information that teenagers selectively assimilate for the development of their sexual consciousness. There is a need to guide and educate them about sex to ensure that they practice safe sex and act responsibly if they happen to indulge in it.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50598353/d ... n-schools/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Sex Education in Cambodia

Post by explorer »

If 1 in 4 teen births is to a young woman between 15 and 17, 3 in 4 teen births is to a young woman 18 or 19.

It seems they are being deliberately misleading.

They should say what percentage of total births, not teen births.

They should say what percentage are married, and what percentage are unmarried.

If a girl gets married at 16 or 17 and has a baby, Cambodians do not consider that a bad thing.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

explorer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:27 am If 1 in 4 teen births is to a young woman between 15 and 17, 3 in 4 teen births is to a young woman 18 or 19.

It seems they are being deliberately misleading.

They should say what percentage of total births, not teen births.

They should say what percentage are married, and what percentage are unmarried.

If a girl gets married at 16 or 17 and has a baby, Cambodians do not consider that a bad thing.
Nope. 2 in 4 teen births are to teens between 13 and 14, while 1 in 4 teen births are to teens between 18 and 19. In and of itself, not necessarily a bad thing.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Captain wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 am Nope. 2 in 4 teen births are to teens between 13 and 14, while 1 in 4 teen births are to teens between 18 and 19. In and of itself, not necessarily a bad thing.
Not true.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Teen births are astronomical, the exact numbers are unimportant. But the fact that 80% know nothing about sex is the sad part. A lot of girls get raped by drunken karaoke uncles and dads. A lot of girls and boys know fuck all about contraception. It is so so sad to see immature women trying to raise kids while still only children themselves. In old Cambodia maybe this was normal only because people never lived longer than 40 or 50 years old, etc... But today, the education is still lacking. Add to this fact that most school teachers are pathetically unqualified and poorly motivated by extraordinarily low pay scales... The trend is likely to continue...

(Why anyone would say that these high figures are not a bad thing is beyond me. These figures don't include mortality rates for teen moms, which are also high because a premature body isn't designed to handle motherhood. Unless you are a rabid Catholic, or believe in a high birthrate to generate growth economy for its own sake, I don't see anything desirable about premature motherhood. Not these days.)
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I was never taught about sex at school it wasn't even thought about then, and my parents didn't teach me anything, I survived on girls telling me what to do.
With sex education at school's now we've got to the stage, if your not LGBTQ your not normal
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm I was never taught about sex at school it wasn't even thought about then, and my parents didn't teach me anything, I survived on girls telling me what to do.
With sex education at school's now we've got to the stage, if your not LGBTQ your not normal
When my wife had her first period she thought she was going to die because of that.

They could at least have told her, right?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:42 pm
atst wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm I was never taught about sex at school it wasn't even thought about then, and my parents didn't teach me anything, I survived on girls telling me what to do.
When my wife had her first period she thought she was going to die because of that.

They could at least have told her, right?
That's tragic, most girls learn before boys about sex because thier bodies change either from parents or friends
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic