Opinions Welcomed Regarding This Apartment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Opinions Welcomed Regarding This Apartment

Post by Username Taken »

Might be better asking some of the neighbors/tenants about power cuts.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm Might be better asking some of the neighbors/tenants about power cuts.
How about in this very thread? Any CEO members live on or near the south end of Street 19?
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

so 6th floor you have the fire trap issue you were originally concerned about?

sounds great though, i'm jelly, wish I was at this point in my life
Even the ugly ones
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:54 pm jajajaja, that's about what's going to end up happening.
The news at this hour is....

1) The building has a lift and the entry is *not* through the landlord's residence. Each tenant has his or her own key as one might expect and need.
2) There is a positively gob-smacking TWO bedroom apartment on the top floor of the same building -- better configuration, *killer* views -- and they're asking $550. They are willing to remove one of the beds and I could make a home office that would be the envy of writer-types in just about any first-class city in the world: Look out on Independence Monument from the sixth floor every day while I scribble.
2A) The problem with this one is that it's not ready. They're doing some pretty ugly work on it right now and they "assure" me that the place will be ready in five days. They've offered to put me up in the one bedroom (from the video) until the two bedroom is ready, but that seems like a recipe for hard feelings all around.
2b) The agent "assures" me that there are no power-cuts in this building because it's too close to HE's house -- which very much sounds like bullshit to me, and which, if it does turn out to be bullshit, will see me trudging up and down six flights of stairs whenever there's no power.
3) On the size-price issue, the missing variable in some of the calculations being bandied about here, is location. I can walk to the (for me) cherry end of BKK1 in about seven minutes, whereas the $300/mo 1br with a lift options are mostly TTP/Russian Market, which I don't care for as much.
Seriously, I am grateful for the targeted musings such as how big a problem it would be if I needed to enter through the landlord's residence. Keep those kinds of reactions coming please!
BKK1 is within 7min walk from BKK2 as well, just other side of Norodom blvd. And there is bunch of new apartment buildings with a lift and a generator. Rent for 1br would be around $400 in that area. Here is one example and if you go straight and not using agent you should get $50 off from that price pretty easily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic