Electricity bill is higher than the months before

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Electricity bill is higher than the months before

Post by chkwoot »

dv8inpp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 pm With inverter based devices, such as the fridge shown in the picture, they adjust the power they receive to suit the hardware they have to run, such as a motor. To run at optimal performance the motor needs to have a known and constant input voltage. To ensure this happens an inverter takes mains power (anywhere from 100VAC to 240VAC ), converts it to DC, then converts it back to AC. If EDC reduces the line voltage then the inverter will need to draw a higher current to create the same amount of power for the motor.

With normal motors the same thing happens, here however due to lower voltage the motor looses more power to heating within the motor. Refer to case 4 in this link for more info.

"So, using the rotor copper loss and voltage relationship, it is found out that, for a constant load on the motor, 10% reduction in voltage can cause 23.46% increase in rotor copper losses as compared to specified ratings. Hence power consumption is on the higher side.

We have to pay for, Load power + 123.46% of full load copper loss –> Rate of consumption increasing
"

The meters that EDC are calibrated to work at 220V and power usage (V x I) is calculated on this so if the input voltage drops current draw increases but the power usage is still calculated for 220V.

The question is does EDC do this on purpose to generate extra income?

If you could install a voltage stabiliser before your power meter your power bill would be more consistant.
Excellent info and link! I've been using small voltage stabilizers (1-1.5 kva) for 21 years to protect my most expensive electronic equipment. Still working like a charm. Sure wish I could put a big one before the meter!

Didn't you post info about different kinds of meters (old motorized vs. solid state/magnetic??) some years ago? That was interesting but I've lost the link. Please PM me the link if you can. I think it wasn't on this site. Also, where are you? The people at your old places aren't very helpful. Good to know you're still online! Thanks again for the info and link!

I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

dv8inpp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 pm With inverter based devices, such as the fridge shown in the picture, they adjust the power they receive to suit the hardware they have to run, such as a motor. To run at optimal performance the motor needs to have a known and constant input voltage. To ensure this happens an inverter takes mains power (anywhere from 100VAC to 240VAC ), converts it to DC, then converts it back to AC. If EDC reduces the line voltage then the inverter will need to draw a higher current to create the same amount of power for the motor.

With normal motors the same thing happens, here however due to lower voltage the motor looses more power to heating within the motor. Refer to case 4 in this link for more info.

"So, using the rotor copper loss and voltage relationship, it is found out that, for a constant load on the motor, 10% reduction in voltage can cause 23.46% increase in rotor copper losses as compared to specified ratings. Hence power consumption is on the higher side.

We have to pay for, Load power + 123.46% of full load copper loss –> Rate of consumption increasing
"

The meters that EDC are calibrated to work at 220V and power usage (V x I) is calculated on this so if the input voltage drops current draw increases but the power usage is still calculated for 220V.

The question is does EDC do this on purpose to generate extra income?

If you could install a voltage stabiliser before your power meter your power bill would be more consistant.

It has absolutely nothing to do with converting AC to DC and back to AC %) It is there ability to regulate the compressor speed.

Power Inverters have 2 components.
1)Rectifier convert the AC to DC regardless to its voltage.
2) Regulators take fluctuations of input voltage and produce a constant output voltage.

Inverter refrigerator is called as such due to the compressor fitted to its body which is inverter. This type of compressor allows for varied speed and at low speed runs in longer cycles. Both traditional and inverter compressors cycle on and off. The difference - it takes longer in inverter type running at low speed.

What is the Inverter technology in air conditioners? The Inverter technology is the latest evolution of technology concerning the electro motors of the compressors. An Inverter is used to control the speed of the compressor motor, so as to continuously regulate the temperature.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

I got my electricity bill for April today and I'm very upset!
I have now written to EDC and am waiting for news! In Facebook EDC there are also discussions about this topic.

https://www.facebook.com/52399812107606 ... 46&sfns=mo
Here's my text!

In January I had a consumption of 459 kWh; in February I had a consumption of 402 kWh, in March I had a consumption of 461 kWh, although in March I was in Kep for 10 days and the electricity was switched off in the other days regularly by EDC, the consumption was much higher, which cannot be.
The bill for April now exceeds everything with 609 kWh and also in April the electricity of EDC was switched off regularly!
Since March I have a generator, so I have electricity when EDC switches off, and now I am rewarded with a bill that is higher than the last 7 months.
In April 2018 I had a consumption of 384 kWh!
The temperatures in April and May 2018 were identical with the temperatures in April and May 2019, except for some minor deviations!
I operate my air conditioner exclusively from 9:00 in the evening until 8:00 in the morning, so the argument of EDC is also not correct!
Since I run a generator when EDC switches off the power, no additional consumption was caused by the operation of the fridge and the freezer, because the appliances continue to run!
So EDC please explain to me why my bill is so high, but please not with the same false arguments that you have written so long, because they are not correct!
I have discussed the problem with German engineers from German energy suppliers and they could not believe it and clearly said that the meters used must have a problem!
Exactly there I see the problem, in May 2018 you have changed the meter and from this time on my consumption increased without me having installed additional devices (see table) from November on the consumption went oh miracle back in October 2018 I still had 615 kWh and suddenly in November 518 kWh, here you can see very well that with the meter something is wrong, or a second person uses my electricity!
Regards
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

bro.s'art wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:50 pm ...or a second person uses my electricity!
Maybe you're on to something here.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

You do know you can read your own meter and see the number of Kw you are using. You can also shut the power off at the meter. If someone else turns it back on or if someone complains their power is off then you will know they share your power/meter.
Before you leave on a trip shut the power off at the meter and write down the numbers on the meter. When you return they should be the same as before you left.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:37 am when the voltage is very low the meters show erroneously high readings. EDC knows this.
Right on point FLB.
Still here, in country...
dv8inpp
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by dv8inpp »

beaker wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:56 am
It has absolutely nothing to do with converting AC to DC and back to AC %) It is there ability to regulate the compressor speed.

Power Inverters have 2 components.
1)Rectifier convert the AC to DC regardless to its voltage.
2) Regulators take fluctuations of input voltage and produce a constant output voltage.

Inverter refrigerator is called as such due to the compressor fitted to its body which is inverter. This type of compressor allows for varied speed and at low speed runs in longer cycles. Both traditional and inverter compressors cycle on and off. The difference - it takes longer in inverter type running at low speed.

What is the Inverter technology in air conditioners? The Inverter technology is the latest evolution of technology concerning the electro motors of the compressors. An Inverter is used to control the speed of the compressor motor, so as to continuously regulate the temperature.
So I wasn't clear, the point I was trying to make is that inverters will draw a consistent amount of power (KW=VxI). So as input voltage goes down current draw goes up. Power meters the EDC use are calibrated for a constant voltage (220) . A normal light bulb will be dimmer as voltage goes down as current is reduced.

The way inverter aircons work is they adjust the frequency of the AC fed to the compressor motor allowing the motor to be cycled from about 15% upto 100%, so an 18000 BTU aircon (about a 1 HP) can be made to cool anywhere from 180000 down to 2700 BTU. The inverter isn't 100% efficient so if the aircon has to run at full capacity, as in if it is running at full capacity it will use more power than a normal aircon that is run full-time. Inverter aircons run all the time but adjust the power they draw based on the cooling requirements.

An old style aircon does switch on and off. The startup current is quite high. So if it cycles often then it will draw more current.

I have ignored power factor correction.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I just got hit with the highest bill ever......
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

EDC writes on facebook you can contact your local EDC office and they will look into it, seriously .....

:stir:

They kindly request you not to flame them on the web, or mention it there. :hattip:
bro.s'art
Expatriate
Germany

Post by bro.s'art »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 am EDC writes on facebook you can contact your local EDC office and they will look into it, seriously .....

:stir:

They kindly request you not to flame them on the web, or mention it there. :hattip:
EDC does not check anything, and EDC then says "the electricity meter is OK"". It's all a sham, but it's not the truth!
All post on Facebook at EDC have this result!!!

The reason for the shutdowns was that Cambodia does not have enough electricity!
But if you look at the bills and the consumption, much more electricity was consumed! I wonder what the game is?
It's all a lie in favour of EDC, and who is the owner of EDC??
You can easily find it on the Internet! I will not mention the name of the family!
Big scam!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic