The changing face of Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The changing face of Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Can anyone translate that last line? Anybody?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:59 pm Can anyone translate that last line? Anybody?
" and do not climb with their dirty money around the world, killing him."

Do not build influence around the world with their dirty money. Killing the world.

I think that calls for a song.
Spoiler:

SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:59 pm Can anyone translate that last line? Anybody?
sorry for my bad english. :)
I wanted to say - the Chinese are buying the whole world with their money.
and then they destroy nature, the foundations, bring their own order.
and make their next Chinese republic.
The Chinese slogan of our days is "Everything will be soon China!"
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

SINUS wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:02 am So let them invest in their own country!
and do not climb with their dirty money around the world, killing him.
sorry for my bad english. :)
I wanted to say - the Chinese are buying the whole world with their money.
and then they destroy nature, the foundations, bring their own order.
and make their next Chinese republic.
The Chinese slogan of our days is "Everything will be soon China!"
"and do not climb with their dirty money around the world, killing him."
Don't apologise Sinus, I like the first version.
Only a Russian could say it so poetically.
:bow:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

...which reminds me, Sinus,

I read lots of scientific docs. Lots. Mostly biology and about the environment.
The only times i have seen words like "beauty" or "pleasure" in scientific papers, they have come from members of the august Russian Academy of Sciences.

I once even saw the word "love" in a paper about butterflies.
No cold hearted western scientist would ever admit to being so human, and it would certainly never get through the peer review process.

Давайте всегда наслаждаться жизнью, как этим бокалом вина!

(the toast is cut and pasted, I don't read cyrillic nor speak russian)
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:42 am ...which reminds me, Sinus,

I read lots of scientific docs. Lots. Mostly biology and about the environment.
The only times i have seen words like "beauty" or "pleasure" in scientific papers, they have come from members of the august Russian Academy of Sciences.

I once even saw the word "love" in a paper about butterflies.

No cold hearted western scientist would ever admit to being so human, and it would certainly never get through the peer review process.

Давайте всегда наслаждаться жизнью, как этим бокалом вина!

(the toast is cut and pasted, I don't read cyrillic nor speak russian)
Oh dear god, you have just reinforced my crush on Russian men (of intellect....not those mafiaring it down south etc.)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

violet wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:36 am Oh dear god, you have just reinforced my crush on Russian men (of intellect....not those mafiaring it down south etc.)
Not Victor then.. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:15 am
violet wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:36 am Oh dear god, you have just reinforced my crush on Russian men (of intellect....not those mafiaring it down south etc.)
Not Victor then.. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Correct. Her accent is atrocious
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

I think that calls for a song.
We Russians sing when we feel good and when we feel bad. :)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

‘Everywhere is broken’: how land grabs in Cambodia are demolishing lives
The government has a ‘masterplan’ for the coastal province of Preah Sihanouk, with tourist meccas built on land given to elite families while the poor and powerless face the bulldozers
Fiona Kelliher and Keat Soriththeavy
Tue 11 Apr 2023 07.00 BST

Sitting on the veranda of a stilted house, a group of Cambodian fishers drink tea and sort crabs into buckets as they discuss when they might have to leave their homes. In 2020, Boeng Thom Angkep, a finger-shaped lake tucked below the forested hills of Ream national park on Cambodia’s south-western coast, was granted to an elite family to develop.

After nearly two decades of peaceful existence, hundreds of lakeshore residents now face eviction. Weekly the authorities cross the rickety footbridges that link the stilt houses to the shore to take photos and warn that demolition could start at any time.

“I don’t want to leave my home for even one day or they might come destroy it,” says 42-year-old Khun Dina. “We’re like small birds in a cage. They can smack us down whenever.”

Theirs is not an isolated situation. A wave of tourism and housing projects is transforming the coast of Preah Sihanouk province. Signs of development are everywhere: Along the curve of Ream Bay, trucks dump sand into the Gulf of Thailand for a multibillion-dollar megaproject called the Bay of Lights, 934 hectares (2,300 acres) to include luxury homes, a beach club, go-kart track, and a reverse bungee jump.

A few kilometres north, excavators dig up a hillside where signs advertise a new gated community overlooking the bay. To the south, cranes loom over the edge of the national park where tourist resorts are being built.

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... hing-lives
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic