The changing face of Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The changing face of Cambodia

Post by Ravensnest »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 pm Quote from cambodianduck ]

most of the people did not have proper education after the war and as a result their mentality when it comes to working responsibility is different from what we expect of them.

I hate it when people keep blaming a war on not getting a education.

How long ago was it that the KR war ended,,, 40 years ago. How long does it take to educate one self ?
In my opinion higher education will take a generation or two to replace what happened. Book smart and then to apply it to common sense.
Still here, in country...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

How is it a pseudo state of China when all the people in charge of the province is still khmer
When most of the visitors are exclusively chinese and support chinese owned and operated businesses and investments.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

poster is a prc shill
everything he said is bs
we have a couple here fb is full of them
wu mao
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:01 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 pm Quote from cambodianduck ]

most of the people did not have proper education after the war and as a result their mentality when it comes to working responsibility is different from what we expect of them.

I hate it when people keep blaming a war on not getting a education.

How long ago was it that the KR war ended,,, 40 years ago. How long does it take to educate one self ?
In my opinion higher education will take a generation or two to replace what happened. Book smart and then to apply it to common sense.
75-79 the KR killed all the teachers
so those 5-18 year old had no schools, no teachers, didn't learn anything
Mid 90's, still few teachers so those kids born in the 90- 2005 learned little, but more than the previous generation
2005...NOW kids 6-18 might have real teachers, BUT its still another generation till the effects of the war are over...

maybe some one can confirm, have been told that khmers, 6-15 dont learn history, science or geography.
True or not??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Queef wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:10 pm
John Bingham wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:43 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:14 pm
How long ago was it that the KR war ended,,, 40 years ago.
Just over 20 years ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/surr ... 89671.html
Though it is a fact that the KR were active in some remote province until the late 90s, weren't the UN and other organizations actively working to make Cambodia great again (at least the main cities)? Education barely improved but the market for Bentleys and RRs grew at a rapid rate. The Khmer guy across the street from my office has two R35s but never completed HS... Nice guy though. Simple but nice
UNTAC left in 1993. There's this huge myth that they brought peace to Cambodia. While they certainly helped bring three of the factions together (and that only lasted till 97), the security situation became worse than it had been since the early 80s after their departure. There were Khmer Rouge units operating all over the country, in Kampot for example which only came back under government control around 1995. Kampong Speu, especially around Aural was in rebel hands for a long time too. Battambang city was briefly taken over by Khmer Rouge in the early 90s, as was Siem Reap city. Remnants of FUNCINPEC (from the factional fighting in the capital) forces joined with the remaining die-hard Khmer Rouge in 1997-98, and there was quite a bit of fighting in the west in this period, evenj after Pailin defected to the government in 1996. Phnom Malai/ Samlot were still KR areas till 1998. There was a lot of insecurity, with demobilized and serving security forces actively involved in banditry all over the country. There were road-blocks manned by drunken soldiers. All this has a knock on effect on trade, services, education etc.
There's a good publication by HRW called "Cambodia at War" from 1995 which is here, it has some good info: https://www.hrw.org/legacy/summaries/s.cambodia953.html

As for Rolls Royces and Bentleys, I don't remember there being many at all until a couple of years back. The official dealership sold nearly 100 RRs in their first year though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Just my view;
Cambodian mindset goes back a long way before KR.

More than a millennium of a God-King led philosophy which absolutely discouraged anybody thinking/acting/concerning themselves, with anything outside their particular role.
No sideways, lateral vision. Just obedience and duty to a rigid linear line of instruction from top to bottom.

Khmers lack of "initiative". Their seeming lack of "savy". Their relatively low inclinations to serious education.
Even to the fact that they do not use the Cartesian logic operating system - can all be traced back to 1-2 thousand years of Khmers particular incarnation of the God-King thing.

Add to that three decades of multiple horrors.
Every institution from family to government and everything in between, either total destroyed or near to it.
All high culture, trade skills, educated people eliminated.
50% of the current population having high-end PTSD.
And that 50% parenting the rest.

This is just my personal basis for understanding Cambodian "disfunction".
It is not inherent - it is imposed.
(Hence will change)
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:34 pm It is not inherent - it is imposed.
(Hence will change)
As soon as the imposition is removed

monstra mihi bona!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have only been here since 2003, and there has been no war or fighting during that time which has stopped Cambodians from getting educated. There are qualified
dentists, doctors, lawyers, computer operators, maintenance people for ATM's ,,, if fact every trade imaginable. The lack of teachers caused by the KR has had no impact on those Cambodians from getting qualified and educated . Maybe that's why some people cannot get money from ATM's,,, because the KR killed all the teachers that knew all about ATM's and computers .

What a load of shit, it's about time we stop putting all the blame on something that happened years ago and started blaming on the present generation that dont want to learn.

I have two members in my family, 19 years and 40 years old, that I have offered to pay for driving lessons, but guess what. Too lazy ,,, or should I blame it on the KR killing all the teachers.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm I have only been here since 2003, and there has been no war or fighting during that time which has stopped Cambodians from getting educated. There are qualified
dentists, doctors, lawyers, computer operators, maintenance people for ATM's ,,, if fact every trade imaginable. The lack of teachers caused by the KR has had no impact on those Cambodians from getting qualified and educated . Maybe that's why some people cannot get money from ATM's,,, because the KR killed all the teachers that knew all about ATM's and computers .

What a load of shit, it's about time we stop putting all the blame on something that happened years ago and started blaming on the present generation that dont want to learn.

I have two members in my family, 19 years and 40 years old, that I have offered to pay for driving lessons, but guess what. Too lazy ,,, or should I blame it on the KR killing all the teachers.
Dunk, you seem to think everybody here is born with the same values and the mental formation that you got from a couple of millennium of cultural development.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:18 pm
Duncan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:56 pm I have only been here since 2003, and there has been no war or fighting during that time which has stopped Cambodians from getting educated. There are qualified

Dunk, you seem to think everybody here is born with the same values and the mental formation that you got from a couple of millennium of cultural development.

I left school at the age of 15, infact my teacher said I had a learning disability and I should leave school and get a job. Which I did , because as we all know ,,,,, school teachers know everything.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic