British Army veterans march on London

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

British Army veterans march on London

Post by phuketrichard »

Not reported on BBC
Not reported in newspapers
and a disgrace that a soldier can be charged for murder 47 years after the fact and after 3 court appearances where the case is thrown out
Thousands of veterans demonstrated today in protest of the prosecution of 'Soldier F' - who faces murder charges over the Bloody Sunday shootings.

The march in central London, organised by the Justice for Northern Ireland Veterans group, is to voice opposition for the pending prosecution of Soldier F - which is the code name for the only serviceman set to stand trial for the massacre, which took place at the height of the Troubles.

Soldier F is one of 17 former members of the 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment who were investigated over the violence which left 13 people dead in Londonderry in 1972.

The Crown Prosecution Service announced last month that the man, whose identity is being protected, is to face prosecution for the murders of James Wray and William McKinney.

Critics of the prosecution have pointed out that roughly 200 IRA fugitives, thought to be behind a series of terror attacks during the Troubles, were sent so-called 'comfort letters', assuring them they were no longer suspects.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ZX0sfGtzo0

The uk is imploding
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British Army veterans march on London

Post by Yerg »

A bunch of ex-army returned their medals along with white feathers in protest too. It is a very sad state of affairs.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:43 pm Not reported on BBC
Not reported in newspapers
and a disgrace that a soldier can be charged for murder 47 years after the fact and after 3 court appearances where the case is thrown out

Besides the newspaper report you inserted in your post a number of other newspapers also reported the march.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/12/tho ... otorbikes/
www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1113460/soldi ... cle-london
www.thesun.co.uk/news/8850252/soldier-f ... st-london/
www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/norther ... cution-380
www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandn ... n-1596813/
try google news, you will find at least 20 more newspapers that reported the event as well as ITV and Sky News if you prefer television

ITV /www.itv.com/news/utv/2019-04-12/bikers- ... osecution/
Sky News / news.sky.com/story/bikers-protest-in-london-over-bloody-sunday-prosecution-11691630
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... peach-1979

This happened 40 years ago this week, i moved out of London and up to Suffolk soon after, the toxic atmosphere in london was getting to me.

Charlie
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Without really knowing all the details of the incident, it is common that murder is not statute-limited.

Nazis have also been prosecuted until they were 90 and older...

[Edit] I just read that the soldiers shot at unarmed civilians that were fleeing. They should have been incarcerated decadea ago, and for the rest of their lives, for auch a disgraceful abuse of power.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

It is and has been a contentious issue. However many IRA /UDA killers were given amnesty and are now free. Where will this end ? The link i posted regarding Blair Peach is now back in the news on the 40th anniversary of his death, also the Amritsar massacre has been on the news this last week.
Forgive and forget maybe ?

Charlie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Charlie
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

From 1976 until 1980, I attended university in Scotland. Once I was travelling to Dublin and spent a night in Belfast. A fish out of water, I stopped at a pub on the Short Strand. After entering the pub and seeing the posters on the wall, I became concerned for my safety and left. At no time were the people in the pub aggressive towards me, in fact, quite the opposite. My main recollection of being in the pub was Elvis Presley singing "My Way" on the jukebox. When I reach Albertbridge Rd a grey landrover pulled up beside me and in no time at all, I was bundled into the back. I was terrified, the men inside the back were carrying sten guns and were members of the RUC.

I was transported to an RUC station and treated with far less courtesy than those in the pub. After an evening of less than cordial conversation, it became apparent to the Crown's forces that I was a naive traveller with no ill intention. I was released in the morning with a rather stern warning that if I were to return to Belfast that I was to stay in Loyalist areas only.

The RUC, SAS, IRA, UFV, UDR amongst many others all had blood on their hands and yet most of the Northern Irish were very friendly and it was impossible to sit on a bus without the person sitting next to you engaging in conversation. I believe that most NI peoples were victims of the paramilitaries/ criminal organizations and would have preferred to have lived in peace, have a job and a future without sectarian violence.
I know at University, many NI students could be friends regardless of their religion but when they returned to Ulster, their friendship would have caused them trouble.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

While it seems pointless prosecuting a soldier this much later....
.....do you even realize you are posting photos of Loyalist terrorists?
You think it's okay for paratroopers to shoot unarmed civilians?
You obviously don't understand anything about the conflict so I suggest not posting dumb knee-jerk reactions to Daily Mail stories..

Here's another massacre from 1975, which shows collusion between the British Army and terrorists.
Men in uniforms of the Ulster Defence Regiment (UDR) ordered the band to get out and line up. A man with a British accent appeared to be in charge. Trumpeter Brian McCoy reassured everyone: “this is the British army.” “Uniform, to me, meant law and order,” Travers says. “They were there to protect us.”

Moments later the Showband’s bus was a twisted and fiery wreck. Two British soldiers had placed a timed bomb on the minibus that then exploded. Travers believes they intended it to explode after the bus crossed the border, killing the Showband in order to frame them as IRA members and pressure the Irish government into sealing the border.

McCoy was executed alongside frontman Fran O’Toole and guitarist Tony Geraghty, at least one heard pleading for his life. Travers was shot and nearly died. The sax player Des Lee, born Des McAlea, was blown clear and ran for help. Two serving soldiers with the British Army and one former soldier, all belonging to the UVF, were sentenced to life in prison. They were released in 1998 as part of an amnesty.

https://www.newstatesman.com/miami-show ... resurfaces
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I see no time bar on war crimes. You guys always do it bigger and better.

http://theconversation.com/my-lai-50-ye ... ered-93516

Rather than the UK imploding, I see the public reaction to the murder of Lyra McKee as a more positive step by the general public directly affected, shaming the political and military/criminal bigots and sending a message that a return to the past is not acceptable to the majority,.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic