Australian Elections

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Australian Elections

Post by explorer »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:15 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:52 am
Splashback wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:01 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:13 am 6 am election day
Latest Sportsbet prices;

Labour $1.10
Coalition $7.00
Sportsbet paid out $1.3 mil on Labor for the win on Wednesday or Thursday I think. And with no major fuck ups from Shorten it looks like it's over. Most polling had it tighter.

Let me know if they've got a spread on at the embassy and I'll pop in again...
So, did the bookies get a 'flogging' or did they make a killing?
The straight answer;
The bookies always make a profit if they frame their prices right.

The punters conspiracy theory;
Sportsbet paid out Aus$1.3 mill (on a $1 mill bet on Labor.) on Thursday. Two days before the election. It was supposed to be that certain.
The straight-heads say this was a legitimate promo stunt, just to stimulate turnover.

But some punters say that Sportsbet had seen the fastidious private polling that the two parties were doing every day. Having this inside information they figured that Labor would loose - so they sucked everybody in to take the "sure thing" 15-25% profit.
"Ah hell, if Sportsbet is gonna pay out $1.3 mill even before the election is held, then it must be a certainty, eh"

Either way, straight or shifty, you can be sure the bookies made their killing.
It really boils down to what percentage of people bet on Labor before the payout, and what percentage bet after the payout. I suspect they may have lost money on this event. But they make money on so many other events, it doesnt take long to recoup their losses. It is a calculated risk they take. It generates publicity. They definitely lose on some events, but overall they make a lot of money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

These are absolutely fantastic. I wish they'd do the same for the UK.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Tony Abbott scores $300,000 pension

Former Prime Minister and member for Warringah, Tony Abbott lost his seat on Saturday to Independent Zali Steggall, but if there’s one thing to assuage the spectacular defeat, it would be the hefty pension Abbott will now receive.

The former leader of the Coalition will receive a parliamentary pension of nearly $300,000 - an income significantly higher than the $207,000 he was receiving as an MP.

Abbott is part of a group of politicians elected prior to 2004 who are eligible for the Parliamentary Contributory Superannuation Scheme (PCSS), and as Abbott has been in power for more than 25 years, he will receive a payment of 75 per cent of his base wage, plus a loading for his official roles.

The total sum: $295,720 a year, freelance researcher William Summers revealed.

And if Abbott wanted to, he could claim $1.48 million of that sum now if he chooses to.

“His income will be far higher as an ex-MP, even before you factor in any directorships, ambassadorial positions or Sky News roles he may or may not be offered, or the free travel and office allowance he will get as an ex-prime minister,” Summers said on his blog.

“And remember, because parliamentary pensions rise each year in line with the pay of sitting MPs, this is not $296,000 “each year”, it is merely $296,000 this year (2018/19).”

That means that as of 1 July, Abbott will score an increase to his pension, pushing it to above $300,000.

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/tony- ... 13585.html

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Also, this man with 'immense talents' is looking for a cushy job..maybe ambassador to the US..

If I was Scott Morrison I'd be saying 'fook off party wrecker'. He might have been in parliament a long time but he clearly showed he put his own personal ambition and revenge ahead of the party's best interests.

https://www.smh.com.au/federal-election ... 51pa9.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic