Dealing with trolls

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Dealing with trolls

Post by BR549 »

So, disagreeing with someone and voicing a different opinion is now called trolling?
I suppose I am therefore being a reptilist if I don't agree with lizard men from andromeda who blame some Khmer girl for fucking up their life plan...and not being able to carry on a meaningful conversation about being protectected from harm by aliens.
I guess I should have Scotty beam me to another forum....
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Admins and mods do not read each and every thread so offensive posts often go unnoticed.
Trolls love to provoke people to anger and when you respond you are giving them exactly what they want.

Trolls destroy forums so you need to do your part to preserve the forum as an enjoyable place.
Forum creators should create rules in the forum about what types of comments will not be tolerated if they are different from the obvious. When I create a post in a forum I look at the rules for the forum and will word my post accordingly or else simply not make posts in it. Obvious posts that would be trolling would be those which are abusive, threatening, racist, sexist or are an all-out attack on other people. If a person were to come into a forum posting racist or abusive things about Cambodians that is a problem. If you do not like Cambodian you should probably not be living in Cambodia as Cambodia is full of Cambodians as that is where they were invented and are mass-produced.
When I make posts, I strive to not only state the event but also what led up to the event and my current strategy on how I wish to resolve it. It is my understanding that trolls are people who go online and attempt to get people angry or simply ruin people's enjoyment. I would not understand the attraction to this because it provides me little benefit in life to annoy people I have never met and who I will likely never meet in a virtual forum. It would be similar to trying to figure out why my roommates spend 800usd a month on phonesex. Usually, unless I see posts that fall into the intolerable category above I would just ignore them.
Yes, and so is polluting the forum with your diatribe of off topic stories about Russia, Brazil, US, girls et al and digging up old threads. Enough is enough. Some of those stories were sort of entertaining initially but it's clear you're out to troll and/or get attention and members are getting sick of it. Take a week off to settle down.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

michael.stewart1 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:38 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am You need to report posts you consider to be trolling. Best cut and paste the offending text so that later editing does not destroy the evidence.

Admins and mods do not read each and every thread so offensive posts often go unnoticed.
Trolls love to provoke people to anger and when you respond you are giving them exactly what they want.

Trolls destroy forums so you need to do your part to preserve the forum as an enjoyable place.
Forum creators should create rules in the forum about what types of comments will not be tolerated if they are different from the obvious. When I create a post in a forum I look at the rules for the forum and will word my post accordingly or else simply not make posts in it. Obvious posts that would be trolling would be those which are abusive, threatening, racist, sexist or are an all-out attack on other people. If a person were to come into a forum posting racist or abusive things about Cambodians that is a problem. If you do not like Cambodian you should probably not be living in Cambodia as Cambodia is full of Cambodians as that is where they were invented and are mass-produced.
When I make posts, I strive to not only state the event but also what led up to the event and my current strategy on how I wish to resolve it. It is my understanding that trolls are people who go online and attempt to get people angry or simply ruin people's enjoyment. I would not understand the attraction to this because it provides me little benefit in life to annoy people I have never met and who I will likely never meet in a virtual forum. It would be similar to trying to figure out why my roommates spend 800usd a month on phonesex. Usually, unless I see posts that fall into the intolerable category above I would just ignore them.
Dear Michael,

I'm sorry to inform you that we are receiving numerous complaints about you each and every day. People complain about you bumping old threads all the time (like this one). People complain about your long-winded posts which are often boring and irrelevant. People complain about your beliefs. People just complain about you everyday.
I'm tired of people complaining. I want to ban them all for complaining all the time, but then I thought that perhaps it would be so much easier just to ban you.
It's not a permanent ban. It's only for 7 days. However, feel free to stay away for 12 months or more.
Русские зимы холодные. Оставайтесь в тепле. оставаться в безопасности.
:beer3:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Looks like clutch beat me. :thumb:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

If i said "No!! two weeks" would that be trolling?
It should be
i mean, the poor bloke can't even post a perfectly reasonable 630 page defence argument.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:12 pm Looks like clutch beat me. :thumb:
LOL. But your rebuttal was more humorous, UT :clap:

Anyway, good move guys. That was getting tedious.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

At some point senior citizens turn into snowflakes too, cannot take any heat just like those millennials they like to point fingers to for being immature whiners :stir:
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

hunter8 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:40 pm At some point senior citizens turn into snowflakes too, cannot take any heat just like those millennials they like to point fingers to for being immature whiners :stir:
Don't you get tired of trolling? Being pathetic isn't much of an aspiration.
up to you...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Did anyone actually bother to read his wall-of-text posts?
A long well laid out post.. hell even if it’s a rant.... I’ll read.. but as I have been scrolling through the posts and all I see is a solid block of text that fills my screen I don’t even bother. The fact that the user can’t get a message across in a well presented way (visually) means it ain’t gonna be worth reading tbh.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As a rule*, forum posts should be like short skirts-

Long enough to cover the subject matter, yet short enough to maintain interest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic