Bring back the holidays

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bring back the holidays

Post by timmydownawell »

Over KNY my power and water stayed on the whole time. Things seem to work better when everybody's on holiday. Can we make that permanent?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bring back the holidays

Post by John Bingham »

May has a whole lot of holidays too but I don't think any are long enough to affect anything. I had one power cut over KNY, and I'm not sure how long it lasted because I got out of there sharpish. There's some insane heat at the moment and I believe the EDC and other bodies have not planned ahead enough for the vast number of new constructions. It was working pretty well for about ten years but now it isn't and we are all back to 2008. It's gruesome here at the moment if your power cuts out.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

An EDC notice here about the days ahead post331984.html#p331984
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 pm Over KNY my power and water stayed on the whole time. Things seem to work better when everybody's on holiday. Can we make that permanent?
Yep,, agree with that one. For the first time in about 6 weeks we did not have to carry water up the 60 plus steps in Takhmau, to flush the toilet.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Same in Temple Town: no power cuts at all during the entire KNY; that has changed since with almost daily cuts. Luckily, we are apparently on the same line as a hospital and the cuts are short (30 minutes yesterday where other areas had no power for 12 hours).
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I like to have a shower around 9pm. Last two nights I've had no water.

The one thing that didn't work over the holidays was Cintri. But I care less about piles of rubbish than I do about having reliable water and power.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Anyone else's power bill unexplainably go up? Our bill at work went up 25% despite spending over $100 on fuel for the genny.

We also close at 5, so it doesn't matter if the power is consistent at night.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

In Street 23 we had no cuts from Thursday 11th until Monday 22nd inclusive. They started again on Tuesday 23rd in the afternoon and again yesterday in the morning. I expect today they will cut in the afternoon and so on.

4 hours a day is manageable; 8 hours a day is not.

Plan B is now my number one thought... #getthefuckoutofhere
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

JerryCan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am Anyone else's power bill unexplainably go up? Our bill at work went up 25% despite spending over $100 on fuel for the genny.

My bill went to a whopping, heart-stopping, $600 in March and I wasn't even home most of the month.....
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

hanno wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:46 am
JerryCan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 am Anyone else's power bill unexplainably go up? Our bill at work went up 25% despite spending over $100 on fuel for the genny.

My bill went to a whopping, heart-stopping, $600 in March and I wasn't even home most of the month.....

Get Teems to fit one of these Schneider fuse switches that have a meter so you can keep a close track of what you are using in each room or air-con.
They are not expensive..

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic