Birthing clinic for Khmer nationals? (Why rush these things)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Birthing clinic for Khmer nationals? (Why rush these things)

Post by StroppyChops »

Young miss is about to sprog at any point, and naturally she and her husband are yet to make any birthing plans. Why rush these things, right?

Mrs Stroppy and I figured we'd better get things planned before the baby is actually crowning - although this does seem to be taken with a little surprise by the young couple. Why rush these things, right?

The husband figures he'll just drag the mother to be across town on the back of the moto once her waters have broken, regardless of traffic, to Calmette as all good unwealthy Khmer do, with no knowledge of what that will do to her, or cost at the other end, and no real intention to find out. Why rush... never mind.

There is or was a government birthing clinic near Ouressey that everyone has recommended, a flat fee structure, extra $ for a room per night. All good. However, their Khmer friends are saying that clinic is closed or has moved.

Questions - does anyone know if that clinic is still there? I know that sounds vague, but you'll either know of it or you won't, it's the government clinic for birthing. If it's moved, do you know to where?

Does anyone know of any other government clinics in the Boeung Tompun, Boeung Trabek, Toul Tom Poung area?

Cheers
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Birthing clinic for Khmer nationals? (Why rush these things)

Post by John Bingham »

My kid was born in a private clinic that was highly regarded at the time, it had nice suites but I wasn't so sure about the medical facilities. It was in that general area too. They butchered his mother's belly, I've never seen such a huge C section scar. I heard about other women dying there. Anyway, what surprised me about the whole thing, other than the bill, was when I learned that if there was any complication she would be brought to Calmette anyway. For a few hundred dollars I could have gotten a suite in Calmette and a better service. Calmette has some of the best facilities in the country for emergency care. How effectively those resources are used is another thing. The public wards are messy. Kantha Bopha is worth looking at too.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:18 pm My kid was born in a private clinic that was highly regarded at the time, it had nice suites but I wasn't so sure about the medical facilities. It was in that general area too. They butchered his mother's belly, I've never seen such a huge C section scar. I heard about other women dying there. Anyway, what surprised me about the whole thing, other than the bill, was when I learned that if there was any complication she would be brought to Calmette. Calmette has some of the best facilities in the country for emergency care. How effectively those resources are used is another thing. Anyway, for a few hundred dollars you can get a suite in Calmette and a better service. The public wards are messy. Kantha Bopha is worth looking at too.
Thank you. The only concern with Calmette is the distance from BT, particularly if it's peak hour(s) for a first birth. I've visited other friends who have birthed at Calmette, it's ... okay.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital is closer to there. Again you'd need to go in and organize a private package because the public wards are even worse than Calmette ( and they are still far from the worst!) . The only birth clinics I know of are private.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, and I could very well be wrong about this place, but I know this place seems to be govt run and has something to do with maternity. There are several entrances so maybe different departments. It's near the Sihanouk Hope hospital.

https://www.google.com/maps/@11.5671031 ... 312!8i6656
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:34 pm Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital is closer to there. Again you'd need to go in and organize a private package because the public wards are even worse than Calmette ( and they are still far from the worst!) . The only birth clinics I know of are private.
Thanks. I suggested this and was met with shudders of horror - as I've been there with a fellow expat I completely understand. The toilet in the A&E section was inches deep in urine, so you stood in the doorway and added to it. I have no idea what the women did.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:47 pm I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase, and I could very well be wrong about this place, but I know this place seems to be govt run and has something to do with maternity. There are several entrances so maybe different departments. It's near the Sihanouk Hope hospital.

https://www.google.com/maps/@11.5671031 ... 312!8i6656
Thanks, we'll look into that in the morning. Chasing the wild geese is kinda just what is done here, no?

Sidenote, I never knew there was a Czech Republic Bvd here. Is there an Australia Bvd somewhere?
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

That's crazy, I cannot imagine being in labor after your water broke and sitting side saddle on the back of a moto to hospital.

Wouldn't a good midwife be a good alternative?
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am That's crazy, I cannot imagine being in labor after your water broke and sitting side saddle on the back of a moto to hospital.

Anything other than that would be a good alternative. Picture how the baby is positioned (crown down) and the nature of the skull (the foramen), and now sit the weight of the mother over that as you crush it into the seat while the moto bounces it's way over fine Cambodian roads.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:54 pm
RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:42 am That's crazy, I cannot imagine being in labor after your water broke and sitting side saddle on the back of a moto to hospital.

Anything other than that would be a good alternative. Picture how the baby is positioned (crown down) and the nature of the skull (the foramen), and now sit the weight of the mother over that as you crush it into the seat while the moto bounces it's way over fine Cambodian roads.
They should splurge for a PassApp rickshaw
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic