Old Old News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Old Old News

Post by Duncan »

It's not every day that you stumble on a news item that's in a Monday August 1982 newspaper that is jammed between the pages of your books.
But interesting to me as my ancestors came from Derbyshire ,, Horsley Woodhouse.

Other side of the paper. Mud bricks built in 1912, still standing in 1982
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Old Old News

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

What a coincidence, i was going through some trunks the other day and found a load of newspapers i had kept. John lennons death, the paper from the day the Belgrano was sunk "Gotcha" was the headline, Gerorge Harrisons death and a few other cut outs of various rock star deaths over the years, also one of the day Margaret Thatcher was thrown out. I wonder what my ancestors will think when they find them?

Charlie
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Duncan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 pm It's not every day that you stumble on a news item that's in a Monday August 1982 newspaper that is jammed between the pages of your books.
But interesting to me as my ancestors came from Derbyshire ,, Horsley Woodhouse.
Good to see the tradition continues with you Dunk.

The final sentence in that newspaper report -
"Some of the men were rugged individuals, some had scars from old healed wounds well as the fresh ones from their last battle"
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm What a coincidence, i was going through some trunks the other day and found a load of newspapers i had kept. John lennons death, the paper from the day the Belgrano was sunk "Gotcha" was the headline, Gerorge Harrisons death and a few other cut outs of various rock star deaths over the years, also one of the day Margaret Thatcher was thrown out. I wonder what my ancestors will think when they find them?

Charlie
Good clipping TUV1.

The day John Lennon died -
I could not have been anywhere better.
I forget the name now - theee most iconic hippy hotel in Paharganj Delhi. (maybe Vishaal Hotel ???)
I just flew in that day from singapore, on a "biz trip" to Manali.

We sat around in a great circle on the roof all night, passing chillumns and singing JL/Beatles songs.
Perfect send off, perfect place, for our (nearly-) perfect prophet.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic