Downstairs at Oscar

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Downstairs at Oscar

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm Now got the full Oscar’s experience. Most importantly, got to see the great and magnanimous rozzieoz in action. Also managed to catch a bit of the live music upstairs as well.

Unfortunately, I’m well past my bar days. The late hours, the cigarette smoke, all got to me. Outweighed the unfolding human spectacle.

That and the local mamasan giving missus tips on picking up customers when she was in bathroom.

Something along the lines of telling her not to act like a proper Khmer lady.

Wish rozzieoz all the luck with Oscar’s.
Oscar's has a mamasan?
Yes, it would be great to enjoy smoke-free bars in PP.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

There is the upstairs and there is the downstairs. Two bars. Different.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

armchairlawyer wrote:Oscar's has a mamasan?
Some lady who isn’t much older than her sister and addresses missus as ‘daughter’ then proceeds to tell her on how NOT to act like a proper Khmer. Missus told me that this kind of person was a ‘mama’.

Both upstairs and downstairs are good places and rozzieoz is doing a terrific job. However it’s a different world from ours. The late hours, the cigarette smoke, etc.

Actually, she and her family are quite shocked I brought her there. It is definitely not lady friendly.

Any music venues that start at 6 or 7 PM, non-smoking, and non-girly?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 am Actually, she and her family are quite shocked I brought her there. It is definitely not lady friendly.
You posted before that you brought the whole in-law family to Soi 4 Nana Plaza. Surely Roz's downstairs is remarkably tame in comparison?

Did you bring the homosexual?
Last edited by fax on Tue May 14, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 am
Some lady who isn’t much older than her sister and addresses missus as ‘daughter’ then proceeds to tell her on how NOT to act like a proper Khmer. Missus told me that this kind of person was a ‘mama’.

Both upstairs and downstairs are good places and rozzieoz is doing a terrific job. However it’s a different world from ours. The late hours, the cigarette smoke, etc.

Actually, she and her family are quite shocked I brought her there. It is definitely not lady friendly.

Unsure how it is now but I remember Sharkys had bands.. Eclipse sky bar has live music and Darlin Darlin in Naga has live music ... Probably Eclipse is best if ur looking for a venue w out the "girly" vibe. Having said that--- maybe it's only certain nights w/ live music at Eclipse..not positive
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:44 am

When Oscar's upstairs has live music (usually between 10pm and 1am), it is an OK place to take your lady imho. It helps if you lady is dressed conservatively and wears a prominent handbag. Then she should not get mistaken for a working girl. The live bands are usually very good btw.
As for other live music places, earlier starts at places like Alchemy, Bouchon, and Farm to Table (9pm?) but not every night. The problem with those places is that most of the customers have no interest in the music and they talk loudly over it. Good Times Bar, Tacos Tacopelli, Bonas Pub and LF Social Club have music regularly with starts about 9pm. Lengpleng.com is back in action as a weekly gig guide.
But Oscar's is the best by a country mile.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

newkidontheblock wrote:Now got the full Oscar’s experience. Most importantly, got to see the great and magnanimous rozzieoz in action.
Oh god, what did I do?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

rozzieoz wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote:Now got the full Oscar’s experience. Most importantly, got to see the great and magnanimous rozzieoz in action.
Oh god, what did I do?
Be yourself, of course. It’s one thing to follow the adventures of an internet ‘celebrity’ on CEO, and quite another to watch through the giant bar mirror, while nursing a ginger ale and a cranberry juice. (Neither of us drink beer).

And trying not to fall asleep since it’s well past our bedtime.

And not choke on cigarette smoke. More her than me.

Missus does not wear expensive clothes or name brand handbags when she goes out.

She believes those attract jaow and increase the likelihood of being robbed.

Plenty of working girls carry luxury handbags.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Thank you so much for checking it out!

Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:51 am
Missus does not wear expensive clothes or name brand handbags when she goes out.

She believes those attract jaow and increase the likelihood of being robbed.

Plenty of working girls carry luxury handbags.
You missed the point. The cost of the clothes is not relevant, it's the style that matters. Re the bag, girls working in the bar (not necessarily available for taking out btw) do not carry a handbag (they have to stash them behind the bar or wherever). If you see a lady in a bar wearing a bag (whatever its cost), she is not working there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic