Best cheap hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam for backpacking in style

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Best cheap hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam for backpacking in style

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian hostels only get three mentions here, one in Siem Reap and two in Kampot.

The best cheap hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam for backpacking in style
Want quality and a bargain? Check in to these 10 Southeast Asian hostels
By Roshina Jowaheer
Apr 23, 2019
Hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam
A classic destination for backpackers, whether you're taking a gap year or spending a few weeks exploring the region with your pals, Southeast Asia is a must-see.

Loved for its quality accommodation at cheap-as-chips prices, travellers from all around the world head here to soak up the sun, culture and incredible beaches, while backpacking on a shoestring.

Hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam offer stays from as little as £2.50 per night and with flights available for as little as £350, there's never been a better time to jet off to these beautiful locations.

To help you pick the best hostels during your trip, our friends at Hostelworld have rounded up the best hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam that combine quality and affordability - and you're going to love these...
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/enterta ... a-vietnam/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Best cheap hostels in Cambodia and Vietnam for backpacking in style

Post by StroppyChops »

Entitlement (noun): any sentence that includes the words "best" and "cheap" with "backpacking" and "hostel".
It's like "good fast food" - as in, you can have good food or fast food, pick one.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm
Entitlement (noun): any sentence that includes the words "best" and "cheap" with "backpacking" and "hostel".
It's like "good fast food" - as in, you can have good food or fast food, pick one.
You forgot to mention cheap as one of the three kinds of services on offer, pick two of three:

I had a quick look at Hostelworld, it is definitely for a different target group than Booking or Agoda and the like. Yellow Sun in Kampot gets mostly stellar reviews (same owner as Yellow Moon on Koh Rong Samloen and previously JJ's at Ocheteal).

https://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetai ... pot/290215
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Depends on your standards really, I've had good fast food, and good cheap accommodation.

I guess when you've seen/experienced what shit actually is you become a lot more accepting
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm Depends on your standards really, I've had good fast food, and good cheap accommodation.

I guess when you've seen/experienced what shit actually is you become a lot more accepting
Yep - I was overgeneralising. I actually don't mind a feed of fried chicken at Lucky Burgers, although it's a toss on any day as to whether it's going to be fast or not.

I was sneering at the soap-dodgers who won't spend money for decent accommodation, yet feel they're somehow entitled to the "best" of everything. While we were lucky with the tenants in our homestay (because we screened heavily) one or two got through the filters that expected a turn-down service and chocolate on the pillow while paying under $8 per night.

It's a bit like those constant posts you see on FB looking for "the best" dentist, or doctor, or whatever. Why does it have to be "the best"? Can't "good" be enough? I've been to "the best" dentists in town, and while it was a fraction of the price of what I'd have paid in Australia, it was an unnecessary expense when a "good" dentist would have done the same procedures for half that again.

Long ago Mrs Stroppy and I were big earners and we consciously didn't want our expectations of life to grow with our take-home. We changed our mindset from "the best" to "enough" and it changed our view of material things. We have enough, life is good.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Good enough is good enough!
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

When i went overland to India in the early 70s costs of accomodation was high on the list, we were travelling with very little money, i remember spending hours in Kabul/Bombay and other places looking around for a cheap hotel to save a few rupees, we could not have gone to india otherwise.

Charlie
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm Depends on your standards really, I've had good fast food, and good cheap accommodation.

But was that good fast food then also cheap, and was that good cheap accommodation then also fast? :D

I added the picture also to indicate that often expectations are unrealistic, this sign is used tongue-in-cheek to manage just that, and/or to implicitly state that if something (your food) takes a while it must be cheap AND good. I do agree with what you said: standards differ a lot between people and are not absolute. Your cheap could be my expensive.

A while ago I had a look at a second-hand turntable/record-player, as twenty year old higher-end ones are often better quality than brand-new models and the technology has already peaked ages ago. Talking to a seller by phone, I stressed that although his advert stated that this model was impeccable and without any blemishes such views differ from person to person and I had been burned in the past with similar statements from sellers. He explained again that it was 'like new' so I remained interested and visited to have a look - only to find that there were quite some scratches and minor dents. The narrative then changed into 'but it looks very good if you take the age into consideration'.

Similar to some people who equate 'a lot of it' with 'good' regarding food, which explains high ratings on establishments that sell only mediocre food but offer things like 'bottomless French fries' or 'all-you-can-eat-for-one-price'.
Bangkoktrapper
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Bangkoktrapper »

Flexxman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 pm

But was that good fast food then also cheap, and was that good cheap accommodation then also fast? :D

I added the picture also to indicate that often expectations are unrealistic, this sign is used tongue-in-cheek to manage just that, and/or to implicitly state that if something (your food) takes a while it must be cheap AND good. I do agree with what you said: standards differ a lot between people and are not absolute. Your cheap could be my expensive.

A while ago I had a look at a second-hand turntable/record-player, as twenty year old higher-end ones are often better quality than brand-new models and the technology has already peaked ages ago. Talking to a seller by phone, I stressed that although his advert stated that this model was impeccable and without any blemishes such views differ from person to person and I had been burned in the past with similar statements from sellers. He explained again that it was 'like new' so I remained interested and visited to have a look - only to find that there were quite some scratches and minor dents. The narrative then changed into 'but it looks very good if you take the age into consideration'.

Similar to some people who equate 'a lot of it' with 'good' regarding food, which explains high ratings on establishments that sell only mediocre food but offer things like 'bottomless French fries' or 'all-you-can-eat-for-one-price'.
Most tourist areas serve garbage food for exorbitant prices.

Currently im in the country side of cambodia and food is way better than those backpacker establishments.

Backpackers and tourists will never see the real cambodia or taste genuine khmer home cooking unless they goto a locals house where it is some of the best food in SEA hands down.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Bangkoktrapper wrote:
Flexxman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 pm

Most tourist areas serve garbage food for exorbitant prices.

Currently im in the country side of cambodia and food is way better than those backpacker establishments.

Backpackers and tourists will never see the real cambodia or taste genuine khmer home cooking unless they goto a locals house where it is some of the best food in SEA hands down.
Hey! Pineapple! Long time kid.
We have a new guy here, Mr. Explorer. You and he should get together. I feel you are kindred spirits!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic