Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

My ex is currently on one of her many mad sole cycling adventures and got skittled by a truck on the Kampong Cham - Kratie highway yesterday.
I can ride around Phnom Penh all day, no worries. But no way you will ever see me on an open highway on a bicycle or bike.

For the nutters that do, How do you ride without getting run off the road?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I don't understand why anybody would cycle across country recreationally. Masochistic lycra clad gimps.

On my motorcycles, my basic tactic is to always travel faster than all prevailing traffic. Works well.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Was she injured?

It is ridiculously dangerous.

Some people may not be aware of the risks.

Some people may be, but take them anyway.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I stick to the curbside when travelling on country roads at about 40-50 that way I can stop or get out of most idiots way ,takes longer to go anywhere but I'm in no hurry the longer it takes the more stops mixing with the locals
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

Never ridden a moto. Bicycles tend to break under my weight.

I walk or get a PassApp
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:16 am Was she injured?

It is ridiculously dangerous.

Some people may not be aware of the risks.

Some people may be, but take them anyway.
Injured yes. A huge gash above the eye and busted up elbow and shins,
She is aware of the risks but takes them anyway. Chronic adventurer.

If you see a beaten up blonde recovering in Kampot this week say hello.
Tiny, 55 yrs, nut brown and fit as a fiddle. She'll drink you under the table too.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phkachhouk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 pm Bicycles tend to break under my weight.
I dont know how much you weigh.

I ride a fat bike. The tyres spread the weight out, so they can take more weight.

I am 120 kg = 265 lb

I have ridden 15 km with 30 kg = 65 lb on the back, making the total 150 kg = 330 lb

I have had a 40 kg = 90 lb girl on the back, making the total 160 kg = 350 lb

I have had a 70 kg = 155 lb man on the back, making the total 190 kg = 420 lb

The bike did not break.

I am fitter than I would be if I did not ride the bike. I dont have high blood pressure, diabetes, or joint problems.

I have lost approximately 2 kg = 4 lb recently. It is not a lot, but I am better off than if I did not lose it.

I like to encourage others to exercise. Even a small improvement is an improvement.

I normally avoid narrow busy roads.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

atst wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am I stick to the curbside when travelling on country roads at about 40-50 that way I can stop or get out of most idiots way ,takes longer to go anywhere but I'm in no hurry the longer it takes the more stops mixing with the locals
Generally took the same approach, and spend as much time looking in your mirrors as you do the road ahead. Lane discipline is non-existent. :facepalm:

Hope your ex recovers quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

An Australian mate and I rode motos down to SHV. I was ahead of him on an open highway, some yamma'd fool in a minivan overtook him, and then slammed into me sideways, with intent to kill (presumably). The only payoff I can imagine was showing off to others in the van, who had completely freaked out at what he'd try to do. Using my cat-like super-hero skills I managed to stay upright by bouncing back into the van and leaning against it until I got my balance back, and then I took off after the little shit who shot off. I was full-berserker at this point and stayed after him for 20 minutes before calming down and going back to find my mate, who was in shock as he'd lost sight of me when I took off and thought I'd died. He confirmed that I wasn't imagining things, the punk tried to kill me.

It's probably a good thing I never caught up with this idiot, as you'd have been seeing me in the media.

I'll ride my XR650 on the open roads, but never again on a moto.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Yerg wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:36 pm Lane discipline is non-existent.
Except when Lexus Bong goes cray-cray and intentionally drives in the wrong lane against traffic, because his VIP card gives him that right regardless of how many people he crushes. When the locals pull him out of the Lexus, then you see some lane discipline.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic