Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Post by explorer »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 pm Would you consider cycling further up into Cambodia?
I dont normally do long distance cycling, and dont plan to. I take my bike on the back of a minivan. However:

Narrow roads with a lot of traffic are the most dangerous. Roads with very little traffic are not a high risk. Wide roads are much safer than narrow roads, even with traffic.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:35 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:37 pm Would you consider cycling further up into Cambodia?
I dont normally do long distance cycling, and dont plan to. I take my bike on the back of a minivan. However:

Narrow roads with a lot of traffic are the most dangerous. Roads with very little traffic are not a high risk. Wide roads are much safer than narrow roads, even with traffic.
What kind of bike do you use?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 pm What kind of bike do you use?
If you read the other posts you would have seen I ride a fat bicycle.

It is ideal for cycling in and around Cambodian villages, particularly when you come across sand and mud.

I am also fat challenged, and it takes my weight without breaking.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:56 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:50 pm What kind of bike do you use?
If you read the other posts you would have seen I ride a fat bicycle.

It is ideal for cycling in and around Cambodian villages, particularly when you come across sand and mud.

I am also fat challenged, and it takes my weight without breaking.
Sorry E, ' dreaming distracted disjointed. All three.

Truth tell, I wasn't really paying attention to the authors just then - just humming along to the tune of hard rubber over the different tarmacs/sands/gravels/clays and muds. Good posts.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

andy_morris wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 pm I've cycled most of the highways in Cambodia and at 35km/hr +/- feel pretty safe. Many locals on motos appreciate that you are going at it pretty hard as you can often keep up with them. Car and van drivers are less sympathetic but still, rarely had any too close for comfort experiences. It is often partly my fault too as going from high speed (for a road bike anyway) to tight, slow traffic past a market area causes impatience or frustration, and a keenness to get back up to a good speed.

Bokor is a different animal. They do regularly overtake on the hairpins going up and down. Absolute idiocy pretty mu h guaranteed every time.
Was that your top speed or average speed?
That’s pretty fast for a mountain bike but a proper focused road bike it’s achievable, if you’re super fit (my mate just told me. He’s 32yo fit and his average speed on a 120 min run is 26kmh on fairly flat roads. I hate him. He’s also done Bokor and he said it killed him! He does have a $4k Cannonball though. Idiot)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phkachhouk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am If you added “Micheal” at the end like “I have had a 70 kg = 155 lb man on the back, making the total 190 kg = 420 lb, Michael” you’d could be KITT from Knight Rider.
Or add "Dave" at the end of each question.
I’m 135kg. Beat that!
Literally off the scales when we arrived (most medical scales are considered inaccurate beyond 165kg) because reasons, now around 110kg. Moving to Cambodia has literally saved my life.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

phkachhouk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:35 pm
andy_morris wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 pm I've cycled most of the highways in Cambodia and at 35km/hr +/- feel pretty safe. Many locals on motos appreciate that you are going at it pretty hard as you can often keep up with them. Car and van drivers are less sympathetic but still, rarely had any too close for comfort experiences. It is often partly my fault too as going from high speed (for a road bike anyway) to tight, slow traffic past a market area causes impatience or frustration, and a keenness to get back up to a good speed.

Bokor is a different animal. They do regularly overtake on the hairpins going up and down. Absolute idiocy pretty mu h guaranteed every time.
Was that your top speed or average speed?
That’s pretty fast for a mountain bike but a proper focused road bike it’s achievable, if you’re super fit (my mate just told me. He’s 32yo fit and his average speed on a 120 min run is 26kmh on fairly flat roads. I hate him. He’s also done Bokor and he said it killed him! He does have a $4k Cannonball though. Idiot)
yep, doable on the flats an a smooth paved road with a good bike an in great condition.
my last trip in August from Kep to Koh Kong, DRIVING a car, I barely manged 40 kms /hour....:-)
Over the last several years, the winner of the tour de France has posted an overall average speed of right around 25mph (40kmph)–but that encompasses an entire tour. Uphill, downhill, time trial, flatland, it’s all averaged at 25mph. .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I took a taxi from Kohkong to Kampot then mini van Kampot to PP recently but trips scared the shit out of me crazy driving overtaking etc.
I'll stick to riding my motorcycle slowly as much as I can
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

atst wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:24 am I took a taxi from Kohkong to Kampot then mini van Kampot to PP recently but trips scared the shit out of me crazy driving overtaking etc.
I'll stick to riding my motorcycle slowly as much as I can
I don't boat just for pleasure, beauty and sanity.
As much as I have been grooving along with all these road trip stories, highways scare me s***less.

I do appreciate the road warriors tho' - Brave and fearless total nutters, all.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:10 pm
phkachhouk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am If you added “Micheal” at the end like “I have had a 70 kg = 155 lb man on the back, making the total 190 kg = 420 lb, Michael” you’d could be KITT from Knight Rider.
Or add "Dave" at the end of each question.
I’m 135kg. Beat that!
Literally off the scales when we arrived (most medical scales are considered inaccurate beyond 165kg) because reasons, now around 110kg. Moving to Cambodia has literally saved my life.
Or even The Hoff.

This heat is killing me.
Drink water like a crazy man. Sweat like a sweaty thing.

It’s making me sick.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic