Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Bicycles/motor bikes on country highways

Post by StroppyChops »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:04 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:21 pm If I did it, would be a definite 'all the gear all the time' ride and I'd take my chances cruising along sub 100kmh hoping Stroppy's split-second sidecar pilot took the day off!
Yeah, I was overtaking everything else on the road except for the prat that hit me - this was an "all gear" ride which probably looked a bit dick, but I might have survived had he actually taken me off the road as a result - but I doubt it. Tree country.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I ride all the time and clock around 20k per year (though not all on highways). The basic rule is to practice defensive driving (if you know what that is).

-Always be aware of your surroundings. Look ahead, at the shoulders, etc. Basically anticipate problems.
-Glance at your mirrors often (so you know when a car going 40kmh more than you will overtake).
-Only overtake when you know you'll make it for sure (easy to get complacent with that).
-Be comfortable with your vehicle. If you're not able to handle slamming the brakes and skidding, you're not a "good" rider. It's a good idea to practice traction control on a dirt road by locking up the front and rear alternatively and sliding forward to a halt. You want to maintain traction at all times (learning proper braking technique), but you also want to remain calm and not panic (keep balanced as well) if/when you slam the brakes in an emergency and lock up the front and/or rear. It's a life saving skill that's often overlooked.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:49 pm I ride all the time and clock around 20k per year (though not all on highways). The basic rule is to practice defensive driving (if you know what that is).

-Always be aware of your surroundings. Look ahead, at the shoulders, etc. Basically anticipate problems.
-Glance at your mirrors often (so you know when a car going 40kmh more than you will overtake).
-Only overtake when you know you'll make it for sure (easy to get complacent with that).
-Be comfortable with your vehicle. If you're not able to handle slamming the brakes and skidding, you're not a "good" rider. It's a good idea to practice traction control on a dirt road by locking up the front and rear alternatively and sliding forward to a halt. You want to maintain traction at all times (learning proper braking technique), but you also want to remain calm and not panic (keep balanced as well) if/when you slam the brakes in an emergency and lock up the front and/or rear. It's a life saving skill that's often overlooked.
Or get a bike with ABS!! (JOKE)

Completely agree with mirrors. They are your friend. What's that saying, don't dress for the ride...?? The hardest part for me was not just riding for myself, but driving for everyone else on the road. So unpredictable. Two events spring to mind. One group ride to Kampot, long straight highway, cruising at 100. Big artic truck edges up to a junction on the right, and just yanks out right in front of us, that one had my heart in my mouth. The other riding back down Bokor mountain, taking one of those amazing hairpins. Asshole in a Camry overtaking up the hill around said hairpin. I think I actually touched cloth on that one. :roll:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Jerry Atrick wrote:
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:48 pm

Riding with a group is safer, but not actually safe. On my first visit to Cambodia I saw the results of a truck that failed to stop for 20 or so Khmer on motos, waiting to turn a corner. The driver was apparently not concerned about the pink paste under his truck, only that it had slowed him down and he therefore wouldn't get his speed bonus.
Riding in a group is inherently more dangerous, for many different reasons.

However, keep your average speed above 100km/ph and its extremely unlikely that you will be overtaken by anything at all.
Bullshit. I drive and ride faster than that and there's always a few.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I have ridden my bicycle to Kampot and Tay Ninh in Vietnam from Phnom Penh this year and would do it again as it is always more fun for me then riding a bus or moto.
Some short stretches are awful, for example coming back from takeo into town past these factories on road nr. 2 and highway 7 was not nice. But most of the way there was a nice shoulder and completing a day of cycling is really good feeling. You have travelled quite a large distance without using oil etc. and the food and beer tastes wonderful when you arrive.
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:33 pm
phkachhouk wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 pm Bicycles tend to break under my weight.
I dont know how much you weigh.

I ride a fat bike. The tyres spread the weight out, so they can take more weight.

I am 120 kg = 265 lb

I have ridden 15 km with 30 kg = 65 lb on the back, making the total 150 kg = 330 lb

I have had a 40 kg = 90 lb girl on the back, making the total 160 kg = 350 lb

I have had a 70 kg = 155 lb man on the back, making the total 190 kg = 420 lb

The bike did not break.

I am fitter than I would be if I did not ride the bike. I dont have high blood pressure, diabetes, or joint problems.

I have lost approximately 2 kg = 4 lb recently. It is not a lot, but I am better off than if I did not lose it.

I like to encourage others to exercise. Even a small improvement is an improvement.

I normally avoid narrow busy roads.
I like the way you write. Can’t put into words but it’s like a robot giving instructions - no humour just a matter-of-fact.

If you added “Micheal” at the end like “I have had a 70 kg = 155 lb man on the back, making the total 190 kg = 420 lb, Michael” you’d could be KITT from Knight Rider.
I suspect you’re some kind of AI who’s be sent to work in the SE Asian region because you’re a bit broken, like a Spectrum 48K.

Saying that I like your insightful, if obvious, posts. You fat bastard.

I’m 135kg. Beat that!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

King Keil wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:35 am I have ridden my bicycle to Kampot and Tay Ninh in Vietnam from Phnom Penh this year and would do it again as it is always more fun for me then riding a bus or moto.
Some short stretches are awful, for example coming back from takeo into town past these factories on road nr. 2 and highway 7 was not nice. But most of the way there was a nice shoulder and completing a day of cycling is really good feeling. You have travelled quite a large distance without using oil etc. and the food and beer tastes wonderful when you arrive.
Thanks King. Good to hear some dedicated nutters are still around.
Would you consider cycling further up into Cambodia?
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

I've cycled most of the highways in Cambodia and at 35km/hr +/- feel pretty safe. Many locals on motos appreciate that you are going at it pretty hard as you can often keep up with them. Car and van drivers are less sympathetic but still, rarely had any too close for comfort experiences. It is often partly my fault too as going from high speed (for a road bike anyway) to tight, slow traffic past a market area causes impatience or frustration, and a keenness to get back up to a good speed.

Bokor is a different animal. They do regularly overtake on the hairpins going up and down. Absolute idiocy pretty mu h guaranteed every time.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

andy_morris wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 pm I've cycled most of the highways in Cambodia and at 35km/hr +/- feel pretty safe. Many locals on motos appreciate that you are going at it pretty hard as you can often keep up with them. Car and van drivers are less sympathetic but still, rarely had any too close for comfort experiences. It is often partly my fault too as going from high speed (for a road bike anyway) to tight, slow traffic past a market area causes impatience or frustration, and a keenness to get back up to a good speed.

Bokor is a different animal. They do regularly overtake on the hairpins going up and down. Absolute idiocy pretty mu h guaranteed every time.
You bicycle at 35 kms an hour>>> fuck are you super fit :beer1:
for how long?
on my 18 month bicycle trip thru se asia, back when i was fit an crazier than i am now, i probably averaged 10 kms/hour
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

phkachhouk wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am I’m 135kg. Beat that!
A fat bike would hold up to your weight for a long time. I would be surprised if you did not get a number of years out of it. Something will break eventually, even with a light rider.

I am not only heavy, but sometimes go on rough roads. That is when bikes are more likely to break, but mine is good so far.

I like to encourage people to exercise and lose weight. I have recently lost approximately 2 kg. It is only a small improvement, but it is an improvement.

When you have not been exercising for some time, it takes time to build up your fitness level, but you do get fitter.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic