Problem: advice is needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Problem: advice is needed

Post by Shantaram »

Since this is my first post on this forum; hi everybody!
So I've got a bit of a problem. I've been in Cambodia for about 5 years and have managed to live here for that time without any problems. Now, I found the love of my life about a year ago and recently found out that she's got a 1 year overstay. I'm aware of the $10 fee that's adding up the moment I'm writing and I'm also aware that I'm not able to pay that right now.
We've got a stable income of about $1200 a month but because low season is here that's probably gonna be less. Anyway, I want this problem to be solved ASAP but, as mentioned, don't have the finances. Is there any advice you guys could give me to fix this? I'm not looking for a deport (is that possible after a year?) I'm looking for something less drastic.
Any help/advice is appreciated a lot.
Thanks
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Problem: advice is needed

Post by logos »

Gofundme, what else ?
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

You have three choices:
1. What logos said (or buy lottery tickets), get prepared to leave the country and live somewhere else for a few years until she's
allowed back in.
2. Break up with her.
3. Live in fear/on the run for the rest of your life/until she's caught.
You could be next.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Many men have taken on women with debt, and cleared it for her. I would not.

How come you are just learning about this now. Would you say she was slightly deceitful in being less than forthcoming about this with you?

You have known her for about the same time amount of time as her overstay. It would seem perhaps you're a bit complicit in this error now. I mean, how does this visa issue not come up before now, in conversation?

If It was me, I would not shoulder this problem. I would send her off, in spite of my love, and ask her to resolve this and then. come back to you. Its her problem not yours.

BUT, I suspect that you are sharing resources, and you each have a shit income to only have $1200/mo between the two of you. So you kind of need each other to keep the boat afloat. It seems you're in a bit of a pickle, as you cannot likely make it on your own if you boot her, is that true?

I always wonder how people get to this place, without any contingency plans, or safety net, and how they could have burned all their bridges to their past; family and friends, who could assist in an emergency. $3650 dollars is a lot of money, but should not be a crisis. If you don't have that, you are in big trouble already should medical tragedy strike, or you would need to purchase a flight home.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Khartoum
Expatriate
Sudan

Post by Khartoum »

Wrong. You do not have a problem, she does. Walk away, 'the love of your life' concept is merely a state of mind.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:10 am Since this is my first post on this forum; hi everybody!
So I've got a bit of a problem. I've been in Cambodia for about 5 years and have managed to live here for that time without any problems. Now, I found the love of my life about a year ago and recently found out that she's got a 1 year overstay. I'm aware of the $10 fee that's adding up the moment I'm writing and I'm also aware that I'm not able to pay that right now.
We've got a stable income of about $1200 a month but because low season is here that's probably gonna be less. Anyway, I want this problem to be solved ASAP but, as mentioned, don't have the finances. Is there any advice you guys could give me to fix this? I'm not looking for a deport (is that possible after a year?) I'm looking for something less drastic.
Any help/advice is appreciated a lot.
Thanks
This cannot be fixed easily and given your meagre income it could never be fixed. There’s also the question of work permits, to add to your problem!
And, seriously, $1,200 a month combined? Jeez what ever your line of business is I would be looking to change it.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Accidentally jump the border to Laos and lose your passport

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Which country is she from ?

Hope she was not commenting on your hat when you first met .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Duncan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:29 am Which country is she from ?

Hope she was not commenting on your hat when you first met .
Exactly what I was thinking!

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:19 am Accidentally jump the border to Laos and lose your passport

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
That's only going to work if you have no intention to return to Cambodia anytime soon.

The DoI is pretty well organized now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic