Problem: advice is needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Problem: advice is needed

Post by StroppyChops »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:04 pm Just give me some actual advice
Sadly there is no solution to the problem, and the real advice has already been given - it's just hard to see through the shitstorm.

There's a suggestion that you need to identify if it's your problem to fix, or hers. I'd look more closely into this.

I'll spell it out for new people. As a stereotype, Filipinos are known for scamming tourists and expats along Riverside. Does this mean all Filipinos are scammers? No. Are most of the scammers on Riverside Filipinos? It certainly seems that way. Is your GF one of these? Only she knows for sure.

The Filipino scams usually always start with "I like your [hat | shirt | tattoo | manliness]" and then if the mark responds favourably, the scam becomes "Where are you from?" and the scammer's response is ALWAYS "Oh, my [sister | cousin | friend] lives there, she's a [nurse | student]." If the mark is still interested, this leads to a shared meal or drink, and eventually a rigged card game, which leads to the mark either being taken to the ATM and forced to drain his funds by strong men who magically appeared, or he becomes a "boyfriend" of the scammer. Although very much a stereotype, in the case of Riverside scamming, the stereotype is proven to be the norm.

Am I suggesting your GF fits this pattern? Not at all, I don't know her - and I have many close Filipino friends who are better human beings than I, so who am I to judge?

I'm posting this only to let you in on the snide side comments.

Good luck with your way forward.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:26 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:21 pm He could be an astronaut! Or a unicorn!
I identify as a space travelling unicorn, ya bastard! What's your problem!?
Problem? I for one support your right to celebrate your uniqueness!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:29 pm
Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:04 pm Just give me some actual advice
Sadly there is no solution to the problem, and the real advice has already been given - it's just hard to see through the shitstorm.

There's a suggestion that you need to identify if it's your problem to fix, or hers. I'd look more closely into this.
Yeah, the choices are stark and unpalatable given such a lengthy overstay. I found this generic info:
It is possible to overstay for up to 30 days. After 30 days, overstayers are still liable for the $10 daily fee, but, depending on the length of the overstay, risk imprisonment, deportation, and future bans on entering the country.
https://www.movetocambodia.com/planning ... /#overstay

So it's not clear what the outcome would be in this case in terms of prison, deportation and future bans. I would think though that voluntarily reporting to the authorities would likely be treated with leniency....but hey, it's Cambodia... OTOH, letting it drag on is also fraught with danger.

There was a not too dissimilar case last year of a Frenchman (Guillaume) that was dating (with a view to marriage) a khmer woman in France who had overstayed her visa there for a number of years. A long 36 page thread, however, the indication was that she was perhaps seeking to marry him in order to gain some advantage in obtaining legitimate residency in France. I think that assertion was never substantiated however, in the end he pulled the plug on the relationship.
general-chatter/dating-cambodian-woman- ... =guillaume
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You have not answered the question about whether you are both working.

Then could you, over a period of time, save enough to pay off the debt?

Another concern is if you work, you support her while she does not work, then you are responsible for her debts.

She should be working.

If you are never going to be able to save enough to pay off her debts, you have to look at other options.

A good option would have been to have a credit card while you were in Europe, then keep it for emergencies when you need money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm You have not answered the question about whether you are both working.

Another concern is if you work, you support her while she does not work, then you are responsible for her debts.

She should be working.

If you are never going to be able to save enough to pay off her debts, you have to look at other options.

A good option would have been to have a credit card while you were in Europe, then keep it for emergencies when you need money.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

OP, since you don't have the money to pay your g/f's overstay fee, either you get to stay in Cambodia forever with her, or until she gets busted, or you plan to move to the Philippines for good. If she gets deported, then she will probably have her passport confiscated on her return and cannot leave the country for a long while, but if you stay in Cambodia, she can't use her passport anyway.
Whatever way you look at it, it's not good.

The other thing is that your g/f never mentioned this problem to you.That is quite a big problem to forget about, so I guess she was keeping that from you. That's not good either. You two need to communicate better. Next thing you know you will find out that she has a family in the Philippines. I hope not, but you should ask her if there is anything else that she forgot to tell you. My 2c.
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

I do like to stay in Cambodia sice I've got some friends here but wouldn't mind a "trip" to the Philippines if that's necessary. So then my only question would be how to get her out of here with the least problems.
And let's say she would end up in jail, for how long would that be? A day, a month, a year, 10 years?
Anyway, thanks for the help
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:57 pm You have not answered the question about whether you are both working.

She should be working.

It's probably possible to save it in the end but as mentioned by others it's just a matter of time before we end up in an unlucky situation where somebody's gonna find out. Few weeks ago I was in PP and had to come down from my hotel room to show my passport to immigration. Luckily he didn't ask who was staying in the room otherwise I'd already accidentally betrayed her.

Anyway, I don't have any problems but I do want to know how to get rid of hers.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:01 pm
And let's say she would end up in jail, for how long would that be? A day, a month, a year, 10 years?
As far as I know the authorities will "size up" anyone who is an over-stayer to figure out their capacity to pay. So they'll first try to press to see if the person can possibly get the full amount paid by friends/ relatives. If this doesn't work right, they will try and cut a deal for, say, half the fee. If this doesn't work and they figure the person obviously isn't capable of paying they'll keep them for a few weeks and then deport them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm

She should be working.

It's probably possible to save it in the end but as mentioned by others it's just a matter of time before we end up in an unlucky situation where somebody's gonna find out. Few weeks ago I was in PP and had to come down from my hotel room to show my passport to immigration. Luckily he didn't ask who was staying in the room otherwise I'd already accidentally betrayed her.

Anyway, I don't have any problems but I do want to know how to get rid of hers.
I would start where it's not going to cost money, and that is inquiring at the Philippine Embassy as to what they think.

I think the Philippine Embassy here may have different priorities to their others Embassies around the world , but I know a Philippina who was sharing a cell on death row with a Cambodian girl that I visit in Malaysia received money from the Philippines Ambassador and ended up taken off death row and returned to her home.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, You should have done it yesterday , so it's top of your list of things to do today.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic