Problem: advice is needed

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Problem: advice is needed

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Let's be honest here. Would anyone be as unsympathetic if his girlfriend was an overstayer from a western country? How do we know he's being scammed? Simply because his GF is Filipina?
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

Duncan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:41 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:27 pm What a cynical bunch some folks are! Unless you know this fella in a different setting, it seems that any new members are being somewhat negatively judged simply for posting. What is this? Some boarding school, new kid treatment?
The questions being asked by the op, and the sticky situation he’s found himself in are fairly concisely stated in the first post. For all those wanting further info on his partners nationality; has that info guided you to provide him with more specific help?

Yep,, and your right. But he has been given the good advice by some posters and now knowing which country she is from makes it now easier to determine if that advice was right.

Sorry if Shantarum has become the subject of jokes, but all he has to do now is do a search on CEO, on Philippine, scammers , hats and he will be much wiser in the future if he stays in Cambodia.
I understand your comment and I understand all the previous replies. I might be new on CEO bit I'm not new in sea. Maybe all these witty comments are warnings or whatever, but I don't need them. Just give me some advice with my problem. Sure, 99/100 are scams but that's for me to decide/accept. I can tell you my whole past but it wouldn't change your opinion anyway.
So instead of making fun of the "stupid" barang, just give me an actual advice. I've seen it all, laughed about it, just like you. Bit if I wanted that I would have gone to a $0.50 beer bar. But I'm not looking for the kinda people that base their stories on experiences from half a century ago.
Btw I will even give you the aftermath so you can laugh your asses of or doubt your own opinions. Just give me some a tual advice
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm
explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 pm If you are going to stay in Cambodia, you will be in the best financial situation if you both work, and minimize expenses.
Which is quite unlike all other parts of the world. :wink:
He could go to Europe and get a high paying job.
Yeah I can do that, but I don't want to. Everybody here's got their own reason to be here, so do I. I'm smart enough to come up with that solution by myself.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Apologies to anyone who was offended by my comment. It wasn't intended to insult. [Mod Edit: Thanks for that, and this topic has been cleaned up a bit.]
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Fair enough.
:thumb:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Shantaram wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:04 pm
Freightdog wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:27 pm What a cynical bunch some folks are! Unless you know this fella in a different setting, it seems that any new members are being somewhat negatively judged simply for posting. What is this? Some boarding school, new kid treatment?
The questions being asked by the op, and the sticky situation he’s found himself in are fairly concisely stated in the first post. For all those wanting further info on his partners nationality; has that info guided you to provide him with more specific help?

Yep,, and your right. But he has been given the good advice by some posters and now knowing which country she is from makes it now easier to determine if that advice was right.

Sorry if Shantarum has become the subject of jokes, but all he has to do now is do a search on CEO, on Philippine, scammers , hats and he will be much wiser in the future if he stays in Cambodia.
I understand your comment and I understand all the previous replies. I might be new on CEO bit I'm not new in sea. Maybe all these witty comments are warnings or whatever, but I don't need them. Just give me some advice with my problem. Sure, 99/100 are scams but that's for me to decide/accept. I can tell you my whole past but it wouldn't change your opinion anyway.
So instead of making fun of the "stupid" barang, just give me an actual advice. I've seen it all, laughed about it, just like you. Bit if I wanted that I would have gone to a $0.50 beer bar. But I'm not looking for the kinda people that base their stories on experiences from half a century ago.
Btw I will even give you the aftermath so you can laugh your asses of or doubt your own opinions. Just give me some a tual advice
i gave u advice and it applies to any nationality could care less if she is a filipino scammer or not

'"Turn her in, sit in jail till it goes to court at which time she will be fined, (less than $10/day) and deported, so you better have enough money for the fine and for her ticket home.."

do what ya want... her embassy doesn't give a shit nor does anyone else exceptt you

tick tock, tick tock $10/day roles on by
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Btw I will even give you the aftermath so you can laugh your asses of or doubt your own opinions. Just give me some actual advice
As I said earlier, cruisemonkey summed the advice up pretty well in post 3 and others have alluded to the options along the way. Not sure there can be any further choices..

The only thing that perhaps needs elaboration is what happens exactly if you pay the $3650 fine. Does she still get deported? How long before she can return?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

explorer wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:49 pm If you are going to stay in Cambodia, you will be in the best financial situation if you both work, and minimize expenses.
He could be an astronaut! Or a unicorn!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Btw I will even give you the aftermath so you can laugh your asses of or doubt your own opinions. Just give me some actual advice
As I said earlier, cruisemonkey summed the advice up pretty well in post 3 and others have alluded to the options along the way. Not sure there can be any further choices..

The only thing that perhaps needs elaboration is what happens exactly if you pay the $3650 fine. Does she still get deported? How long before she can return?
Well, okay. Thanks for the replies and everybody that tried to come with a solution. I know enough and will figure something out. I'll give you a heads up when I know more
Shantaram
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by Shantaram »

StroppyChops wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:21 pm
He could be an astronaut! Or a unicorn!
I identify as a space travelling unicorn, ya bastard! What's your problem!?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic