doing things one day before the deadline

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

doing things one day before the deadline

Post by curiosity »

hi folks,

have you also noticed that Khmer people tend to be late on projects because they start working on it one day before the actual deadline (which often results in them not being ready when they should be). However when you tell them that they should plan ahead and work on the project day by day until the deadline, they look at you as if you are clearly crazy. As if thinking about the future is just an outlandish thing to do. Do you also encounter this behavior? How common is it here in Cambodia?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: doing things one day before the deadline

Post by Kammekor »

curiosity wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:34 pm hi folks,

have you also noticed that Khmer people tend to be late on projects because they start working on it one day before the actual deadline (which often results in them not being ready when they should be). However when you tell them that they should plan ahead and work on the project day by day until the deadline, they look at you as if you are clearly crazy. As if thinking about the future is just an outlandish thing to do. Do you also encounter this behavior? How common is it here in Cambodia?
Isn't this just common with over 90% of the (adult) people worldwide?
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Isn't this just common with over 90% of the (adult) people worldwide?
Not in the workplace. Slackers don't last long in the corporate world if they aren't slick.
Slackers are everywhere though. OP, remember the infamous and dreaded group projects in school?

May be your Khmer coworkers don't value the assignments you gave them. May be they think they don't have to listen to you. Who knows.
There's another thread about Khmer people not doing/ forgetting things just because they don't give a flying fuck. Check it out.

If it makes you feel better, it seems to be the norm in Cambodia. Don't sweat it.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I do not think that this is unique to Cambodia. In a long hotel career, I have worked with dozens of nationalities and would contend that that is pretty normal behaviour for many.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

hanno wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:10 pm
I do not think that this is unique to Cambodia. In a long hotel career, I have worked with dozens of nationalities and would contend that that is pretty normal behaviour for many.
Agreed.
There may be a slightly higher occurrence, but I’m not really in a position to positively say so.
I’ve seen some folks in an otherwise highly responsible, highly disciplined profession showing little or no sign of good planning.

I remember in days gone by where job adverts would include desirable qualities such as ability to work unsupervised, keeping to schedules. These are things that have fallen out of vogue, these days.
I’ve just ended all dealings with my accountants for just that reason.

That said- I’ve had to raise my voice quite loud recently, when dealing with the kids’ school. If teachers and administrators maintain low professional standards, low standards will be the norm.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't think it's unique to Cambodia or Khmers either. Many of us are notoriously slack, and that's why this country is so great.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Past-orientated cultures, like that of India, for example, are much more laid back in the way they look at time.
http://www.exactlywhatistime.com/other- ... -cultures/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic