Visiting an Orphanage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Visiting an Orphanage

Post by explorer »

People go from one extreme to another.

I dont see a problem when people donating money go and see how their money is being used, particularly if they give large donations.

Just do it in an appropriate way.

This is different to large numbers of backpackers passing through.
Last edited by explorer on Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:51 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm
The Last Word wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm
violet wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm

"The kids". You mean the kids of your friend? Just walk around the streets with them. There's plenty of 'the other side of life' to be seen, and they'll see the realities of those with money too.
Yes my friends children. I know about these Orphanage Tourism. The reason why i brought up Sunrise was iIve been to a couple of they fundraisers in Melbourne and seem to be doing good. And read on they website that you need to apply to visit not like some tourist attraction

From they site....."

If you are planning to travel to Cambodia and visit Sunrise, please fill in the form below. Visits are free for current donors and sponsors. If your visit has been confirmed, we would be grateful if you could make a minimum contribution of A$50.00 to cover administration costs. We will be in touch within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt of your form. Please allow for at least 3 business days to schedule your visit.

Please note the following when visiting our learning centres:

All visitors are required to present their passport for ID on arrival
All visitors must read, understand and sign a Visitor Code of Conduct on arrival and our Child Protection Policy
Filming and photography of the children is not permitted unless you have been approved by Sunrise Cambodia in this capacity
A Sunrise Cambodia staff member will accompany you at all times
If you sponsor a child, please let us know in advance
A limited number of supporters can visit Kandal and Siem Reap during business hours and Saturday mornings due to school operation hours. We are closed on Sundays
We ask that you do not bring gifts for the kids as it can be difficult to ensure they are fairly distributed. If you sponsor a child, please do not bring an individual gift. For more information on how you can assist, please click here
Please make all donations to Sunrise Cambodia online here or send a cheque to PO Box 2266 CLOVELLY NSW 2031. Please do not bring large cash donations to Cambodia. Please note that donations made in Cambodia are unable to be receipted for Australian tax purposes
If you have donations of goods in mind, please let us know in the form below so that we can confirm these goods are needed.
Sunrise is a great organization, good choice to support them. Don’t see an issue with supporters having a supervised tour.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/poverty-po ... pacf4.html

did you read this or are you in denial ?

Charlie
I understand the issue with the advertising.

Still, the organization has helped and continues to help many children and save lives.
You have read all the links posted ? you are still a supporter of the orphanage scam? fair enough.

Charlie
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm
You have read all the links posted ? you are still a supporter of the orphanage scam? fair enough.

Charlie
Some of these orphanages, such as Sunrise, are helping kids to have a better life and future and I will continue to support them.

I also understand that the orphanages are being used as an "easy way out" by far too many, and they can become a bandaid of sorts. They cover up the wound and help avoid infection but do not solve why you were cut in the first place. The real issues such as poverty, education, health care remain.

I fully support awareness about those issues, however, I believe transitioning away from orphanages is something that needs to happen gradually and that some orphanages still play an integral and positive role in the lives of the children they support. This is not an all-encompassing statement and we all know some NGO's do little to help people but a lot to separate monies from donors pockets.

Back to the OP, I have been to Sunrise and see no issue with people visiting if it is done the proper way and supervised.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pmSunrise is a great organization, good choice to support them. Don’t see an issue with supporters having a supervised tour.
That may be your experience of them, but in my personal experience they absolutely are not. But as "mum" has the ear of HE, it is unwise to make negative comments publicly.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:13 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pmSunrise is a great organization, good choice to support them. Don’t see an issue with supporters having a supervised tour.
That may be your experience of them, but in my personal experience they absolutely are not. But as "mum" has the ear of HE, it is unwise to make negative comments publicly.
I think we may have discussed it years ago but can't recall the specifics.

When my wife was a child they saved her. From where my wife was as a child with no home, to take her in and help her get an education, food, safety, medicine, a home. They even helped her transition to the world after by getting her training as a dental nurse where she was able to work and support herself. To imagine that people were trying to purchase her from her older sibling who was a teenager.

Through my wife, I have met a number of her peers that have been similarly helped. Of course, I have also met GC and other people involved as well.

Being that I personally met numerous people who are better off, and some enormously so such as my wife, it lends to my support of them as an organization.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:00 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:51 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm
The Last Word wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

Charlie
Hi Charlie, Please tell me how Sunrise is a orphanage scam? I do know they are some out there. Like i said before i have been to they fundraisers in Melbourne and have donated to them and they are registered charity body in Oz and are tax deductible.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

:please:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Children should not be a tourist attraction.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:59 pm People go from one extreme to another.

I dont see a problem when people donating money go and see how their money is being used, particularly if they give large donations.

Just do it in an appropriate way.

This is different to large numbers of backpackers passing through.
See how your 50 bucks is spent? Seriously?

An 50 bucks entrance fee to an orphanage is a bloody shame. We're talking about rich people coming to see 'real poverty'. Sick.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I agree that children should not be tourist attractions, but there's nothing wrong with the sentiment of wanting to help. It's a little odd that people like to jump down the throats of people who express a desire to help in some way.

Visiting an orphanage with the intention of donating gifts or money is at worst, a little misguided. Nothing else.

The real exploitation is coming from the people who are using these children to benefit themselves.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic