Visiting an Orphanage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Visiting an Orphanage

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Last Word wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 pm Hi all i have a friend that is coming from overseas and want to take they kids to visit an orphanage here in PP and let they kids see the other side of life and also donate some gifts. I know Sunrise are good any other recommendations?
Some previous CEO threads with more information and discussion about visiting and volunteering at Cambodian orphanages:

Re: Australia may outlaw Cambodian orphanage tours and volunteer programs.
post296358.html?hilit=orphanages#p296358

Re: Voluntourism
newsworthy/voluntourism-t5518.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Post by The Last Word »

violet wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:03 pm
The Last Word wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:17 pm Hi all i have a friend that is coming from overseas and want to take they kids to visit an orphanage here in PP and let they kids see the other side of life and also donate some gifts. I know Sunrise are good any other recommendations?
"The kids". You mean the kids of your friend? Just walk around the streets with them. There's plenty of 'the other side of life' to be seen, and they'll see the realities of those with money too.
Yes my friends children. I know about these Orphanage Tourism. The reason why i brought up Sunrise was iIve been to a couple of they fundraisers in Melbourne and seem to be doing good. And read on they website that you need to apply to visit not like some tourist attraction

From they site....."

If you are planning to travel to Cambodia and visit Sunrise, please fill in the form below. Visits are free for current donors and sponsors. If your visit has been confirmed, we would be grateful if you could make a minimum contribution of A$50.00 to cover administration costs. We will be in touch within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt of your form. Please allow for at least 3 business days to schedule your visit.

Please note the following when visiting our learning centres:

All visitors are required to present their passport for ID on arrival
All visitors must read, understand and sign a Visitor Code of Conduct on arrival and our Child Protection Policy
Filming and photography of the children is not permitted unless you have been approved by Sunrise Cambodia in this capacity
A Sunrise Cambodia staff member will accompany you at all times
If you sponsor a child, please let us know in advance
A limited number of supporters can visit Kandal and Siem Reap during business hours and Saturday mornings due to school operation hours. We are closed on Sundays
We ask that you do not bring gifts for the kids as it can be difficult to ensure they are fairly distributed. If you sponsor a child, please do not bring an individual gift. For more information on how you can assist, please click here
Please make all donations to Sunrise Cambodia online here or send a cheque to PO Box 2266 CLOVELLY NSW 2031. Please do not bring large cash donations to Cambodia. Please note that donations made in Cambodia are unable to be receipted for Australian tax purposes
If you have donations of goods in mind, please let us know in the form below so that we can confirm these goods are needed.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

So its free if you are already giving them money, ie donors and sponsors ? its a petting zoo !

Charlie
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

I'd like to ask the OP if he has any qualms about any random stranger turning up to his kids school to hang around with them for a day as long as I gave them $50 yeah? If it ain't ok in your country it ain't ok in any country. As for Sunrise an absolute joke here are some stats 80% of "orphans" have a living parent, thanks to assholes like sunrise and other places at one point (2016)it was estimated 1 in 100 or 1 in 300 Cambodian children were in an orphanage. Most parents having been deceived it was for the good of the child not realizing they'd be exploited for westerners to come and ogle them and prey on them like it was a goddam zoo. Fortunately the government with partners - here https://www.familycarefirstcambodia.org/ are working to close these down and get the kids pack with their folks and stop kids needlessly being ripped away from families to tick a box for whitey to think they've done good and yes that will include Sunrise. So think on buddy and tell your friend to donate to either one of the organizations in Cambodia working for Family Care or here https://rethinkorphanages.org/ if he really wants to help his kids understand how you actually help people.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From the link above: https://rethinkorphanages.org/

There's a better way to care
Most children in orphanages aren’t orphans - they have family who could care for them. Join us in being part of the solution to help keep families together.

Watch this film to find out why volunteering in an orphanage is not the answer.
www.loveyougive.org

#changevolunteering
Poverty is the main reason why millions of children still live in orphanages.

It is often the only way these children can get an education and are sent to live away from their families.

Decades of research show that growing up in a residential care institution is harmful for a child's development and well-being. This has led to a global effort to move away from this model of care as a response to poverty.

But well-meaning support for orphanages - through donations, volunteering, tourist trips and faith-based mission work – is weakening this effort and perpetuating the cycle of family separation.
The solution is to redirect support away from orphanages towards programs that help to strengthen communities and keep families together. Find out more.
No child should be needlessly separated from their family.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

The Last Word wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm
"The kids". You mean the kids of your friend? Just walk around the streets with them. There's plenty of 'the other side of life' to be seen, and they'll see the realities of those with money too.
Yes my friends children. I know about these Orphanage Tourism. The reason why i brought up Sunrise was iIve been to a couple of they fundraisers in Melbourne and seem to be doing good. And read on they website that you need to apply to visit not like some tourist attraction

From they site....."

If you are planning to travel to Cambodia and visit Sunrise, please fill in the form below. Visits are free for current donors and sponsors. If your visit has been confirmed, we would be grateful if you could make a minimum contribution of A$50.00 to cover administration costs. We will be in touch within 1 to 2 business days upon receipt of your form. Please allow for at least 3 business days to schedule your visit.

All visitors must read, understand and sign a Visitor Code of Conduct on arrival and our Child Protection Policy
Filming and photography of the children is not permitted unless you have been approved by Sunrise Cambodia in this capacity
A limited number of supporters can visit Kandal and Siem Reap during business hours and Saturday mornings due to school operation hours. We are closed on Sundays
We ask that you do not bring gifts for the kids as it can be difficult to ensure they are fairly distributed. If you sponsor a child, please do not bring an individual gift. For more information on how you can assist, please click here
Please make all donations to Sunrise Cambodia online here or send a cheque to PO Box 2266 CLOVELLY NSW 2031. Please do not bring large cash donations to Cambodia. Please note that donations made in Cambodia are unable to be receipted for Australian tax purposes
If you have donations of goods in mind, please let us know in the form below so that we can confirm these goods are needed.
Sunrise is a great organization, good choice to support them. Don’t see an issue with supporters having a supervised tour.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

From they site....."

Sunrise is a great organization, good choice to support them. Don’t see an issue with supporters having a supervised tour.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/poverty-po ... pacf4.html

did you read this or are you in denial ?

Charlie
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:33 pm

From they site....."

https://www.smh.com.au/world/poverty-po ... pacf4.html

did you read this or are you in denial ?

Charlie
I understand the issue with the advertising.

Still, the organization has helped and continues to help many children and save lives.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic