Tips on visiting Ankor Wat?!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Tips on visiting Ankor Wat?!

Post by IDGAF »

Can I get a tuk tuk out there, ditch that guy, and get a tuk tuk home?

If so, what would a one way ride cost?

I am not interested in getting up at 4am to see a sunrise.

I just want to walk around for 2-3 hours and head back into town.

Can you buy water/food out there?

Anything I need to know?

TIA.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Tips on visiting Ankor Wat?!

Post by King Keil »

Take a bicycle to get around, it's a nice way to see the temples. Walking is not a good idea as the temples are quite spread out.
Even the small loop should be like 15 km.
Or you take a TukTuk that will stay with you and that would cost around 12 dollar.
Can't imagine that a Ride out and another into town would be more cost effective.
Last edited by King Keil on Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

King Keil wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:00 pm Take a bicycle to get around, it's a nice way to get around. Walking is not a good idea as the temples are quite spread out.
Even the small loop should be like 15 km.
Or you take a TukTuk that will stay with you and that would cost around 12 dollar.
Can't imagine that a Ride out and another into town would be more cost effective.
Take a bicycle as in hire one in SR?

Used to go hunting and walk 10kms and it was a bit much.
But I did the Inca Trail and that was fine (42kms) over 3 and a bit days.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Yeah, you can hire a bicycle in SR. Beetween 2 and 6 dollar depending of the quality.
Walking is not so nice as you wouldn't walk on trails but instead on a small road where traffic is not as light as it used to be.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

King Keil wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 pm Yeah, you can hire a bicycle in SR. Beetween 2 and 6 dollar depending of the quality.
Walking is not so nice as you wouldn't walk on trails but instead on a small road where traffic is not as light as it used to be.
What do you do with your bike at Ankor Wat?

Can you leave it somewhere if you want to walk some parts or are all paths bike friendly?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

IDGAF wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:22 pm
King Keil wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:11 pm Yeah, you can hire a bicycle in SR. Beetween 2 and 6 dollar depending of the quality.
What do you do with your bike at Ankor Wat?

Can you leave it somewhere if you want to walk some parts or are all paths bike friendly?
You leave your bike outside the temples. The paths are mostly highways these days. Forget walking. I love walking and run the Angkor Half most years but some of the temples are faaaaar, especially in this heat. Plenty of food/drink stalls.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

hanno wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 pm

You leave your bike outside the temples. The paths are mostly highways these days. Forget walking. I love walking and run the Angkor Half most years but some of the temples are faaaaar, especially in this heat. Plenty of food/drink stalls.
Does the bike rental place give out bike locks or do I need to buy one?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's very hot at the moment, I wouldn't advise cycling.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

Is this that nutter who was just posting asking for money? All caps username, last profile goes inactive and then this thing pops up...all in Siem Reap.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 pm It's very hot at the moment, I wouldn't advise cycling.
Once did a triathlon in 45*C temps.
Came 1st in the open age group so I wasnt struggling.

Water is your friend in the heat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic