Tips on visiting Ankor Wat?!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Tips on visiting Ankor Wat?!

Post by IDGAF »

JerryCan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 pm Is this that nutter who was just posting asking for money? All caps username, last profile goes inactive and then this thing pops up...all in Siem Reap.
How do you know that that person was a nutter?
Do you assume that just because he/she/it/they needed money?

Seems pretty cold/harsh if you think people asking for help are "nutters".

Normally those that are quick to judge are gaslighting (ie seeing themselves in other people).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

unless ur in amazing condition and used to the heat , forget the bicycle, the distances are not small. Just to get to the temple is 5-6 kms from downtown.

a tuk tuk will set ya back Max $15-20... well worth the price as you enter at one end of the temples, ( except angkor) and he drives around and meets ya at the other end, with bicycle you need walk back.

do the 4 am sunrise, back home at 10:30 for nap, lunch, return at 3 for the sunset/ home at 7.
Buy the excellent book "Ancient Angkor "

I also recommend a visit to the Museum in town BEFORE you head out to the temples, set aside 2 hours to explore
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 pm Just to get to the temple is 5-6 kms from downtown.
So you are saying I could run there and back?
JerryCan
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by JerryCan »

IDGAF wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 pm
JerryCan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 pm Is this that nutter who was just posting asking for money? All caps username, last profile goes inactive and then this thing pops up...all in Siem Reap.
How do you know that that person was a nutter?
Do you assume that just because he/she/it/they needed money?

Seems pretty cold/harsh if you think people asking for help are "nutters".

Normally those that are quick to judge are gaslighting (ie seeing themselves in other people).
A bit salty because someone dug up your post history?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

IDGAF wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:58 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:55 pm It's very hot at the moment, I wouldn't advise cycling.
Once did a triathlon in 45*C temps.
Came 1st in the open age group so I wasnt struggling.

Water is your friend in the heat.
But visiting the temples is not a race. Trust me, I have lived, and raced, in the region for 20+ years but traipsing through temples in this heat is another matter entirely. Bike is OK, but running/walking?
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Take an umbrella for shade. It will be really hot, dusty and dry.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

IDGAF wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:06 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 pm Just to get to the temple is 5-6 kms from downtown.
So you are saying I could run there and back?
I think he was suggesting that a man in your incredible physical shape with exceptional good looks could probably hop one-legged on the ay out to Angkor Wat and return doing handstands with two of the many Korean tourists you will no doubt absolutely charm with your fabulous personality, strapped to your inverted back. At least that is the way I interpreted it.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

JerryCan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:23 pm

A bit salty because someone dug up your post history?
Sorry mate I dont engage idiots on the internet.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 pm
I think he was suggesting that a man in your incredible physical shape with exceptional good looks could probably hop one-legged on the ay out to Angkor Wat and return doing handstands with two of the many Korean tourists you will no doubt absolutely charm with your fabulous personality, strapped to your inverted back. At least that is the way I interpreted it.
Its 5-6kms not a trek across a desert.
Not sure why you are so passive aggressive because some people are fitter/tougher than you are?
Sorry to burst your bubble.
IDGAF
Expatriate
Australia

Post by IDGAF »

hanno wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm
But visiting the temples is not a race. Trust me, I have lived, and raced, in the region for 20+ years but traipsing through temples in this heat is another matter entirely. Bike is OK, but running/walking?
Not saying it was, or that I would run around it, just saying that its possible.
Prob only do 2-3 hours out there as I am not that much into temples etc.
Heading to Cairo next week so am hanging out for that really.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic