Is Cambodia a country full of Expat:-

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Is Cambodia a country full of Expat:-

Post by newkidontheblock »

Can’t speak for how Cambodians view Expats in general, but lots of villagers work in Temple Town and they see lots of foreigners.

The impression is that all foreigners are rich, drunken, womanizers.

Villagers were shocked that I wasn’t rich, don’t drink, and don’t womanize (anymore).

Walking down the local road with the in laws kids and dog, the locals had to come and and gawk.

Something about how I didn’t fit the stereotypical foreigner mold they were expecting.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Don't fool yourself, they still think you are a rich and drunken womanizer. They are just waiting for you to reveal yourself!
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:Don't fool yourself, they still think you are a rich and drunken womanizer. They are just waiting for you to reveal yourself!
Thanks JB. My day feels brighter already!
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I sure don't see how the average Khmer could buy and sell most expats...
That is a false statement.
I never liked being part of a group .. categorized..
expat is certainly a group I don't feel like being a part of.
especially lumped in with so many people I have nothing in common with other than I am from another country.
I don't have many 'expat' friends and sure don't crave any more.
whatever country I am living in, I prefer to be with locals...
if I wanted to hang out with Aussies ...just for example... I would go there and do it.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 am
John Bingham wrote:Don't fool yourself, they still think you are a rich and drunken womanizer. They are just waiting for you to reveal yourself!
Thanks JB. My day feels brighter already!
Yeah well that's JB's job.
Along with being mr reasonable.
We thank him for at least one of those roles anyway.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Most people, Cambodians and foreigners, are aware that people are individuals, and not all the same. There are some alcoholic stupid foreigners, and there are some good foreigners. A lot of people dont want to be friends with the stupid alcoholics, but they want to be friends with the good people.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

The Whisperer wrote: ↑Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:47 pm
Post by phkachhouk » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:26 pm

Are Chinese (Mainland) classed as expats or is that racist to preclude them?

Not sure if they are classed as expats, but if you go onto the work permit website. a Chinese work permit is for 3 years, for a 'westerner' its one. Is that racism or does money count.

Pleased I have now retired.
Can you learn how to use the quote function?

Is that true or an urban myth?
I can’t find anything online. I know Japan can get long visas.

From memory, I believe I read it on a recent post on the Cambodia Visa & Work Permit Group. Apparently at the end of the application it asks how long are you applying for, one or three years. When checked out the person was told 3 years is only available for Chinese Nationals. As it was not my post I can't say if it was true or not.
I'm fairly new on this site, what is the "quote" function.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

OP’s original question is was do Khmer think of expats. ie, what stereotypes of the typical expat does the typical Khmer have.

Let’s turn the question around.

Are there any stereotypes of tuk tuk drivers that expats have?

Or should a typical foreigner approach a Khmer driving a tuk tuk with the same assumptions one makes of a New York Cabbie? That the driver is a foreigner himself with a high level education just arrived in America struggling to make a future. That he will have a thorough knowledge of the streets and won’t ever dream of overcharging.

Just my opinion. As always everyone is always welcome to express their opinions on this forum.

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The Whisperer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:56 am I'm fairly new on this site, what is the "quote" function.
When you want to quote someone click on

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

explorer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:47 am
The Whisperer wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:56 am I'm fairly new on this site, what is the "quote" function.
When you want to quote someone click on

Many thanks- much appreciated.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic