Some rooms are naturally hotter or cooler than others

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Some rooms are naturally hotter or cooler than others

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm I think new arrivals should be warned about potential scams and crimes. Some people think, I know about that, and I am not stupid enough to become a victim. Victims are stupid people. They live in a selfish little world. I feel strongly we should warn people.
Explorer, some of your posts are hard to understand. Perhaps part of the problem is that you have difficulty in expressing yourself clearly. Or it could be that I am the one who has difficulty in understanding some of what you say. Sometimes people think that other people know what they are talking about and they don't. Or, it might just be my comprehension skills. For example, could you explain what you mean in the quote above for me please ? I am probably not the only one who is having difficulty, so this may be of help to others. Thank you.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 pm
explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:17 pm I think new arrivals should be warned about potential scams and crimes. Some people think, I know about that, and I am not stupid enough to become a victim. Victims are stupid people. They live in a selfish little world. I feel strongly we should warn people.
Explorer, some of your posts are hard to understand. Perhaps part of the problem is that you have difficulty in expressing yourself clearly. Or it could be that I am the one who has difficulty in understanding some of what you say. Sometimes people think that other people know what they are talking about and they don't. Or, it might just be my comprehension skills. For example, could you explain what you mean in the quote above for me please ? I am probably not the only one who is having difficulty, so this may be of help to others. Thank you.
I believe people who have arrived recently, or will arrive in the future, should be warned about potential scams and crimes. I feel strongly we should warn people. For example, a lot of people get bags snatched on the way from the airport. New arrivals should be warned.

Some people dont care about warning others.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

My apartment would get the explorer seal of approval. I'll talk to the landlord about certification. I live on the third floor in a corner apartment that has balconies on the southern and western sides. The western side is sheltered by a five story building. As explorer says living in a building's shadow is a good thing here. I sort of feel sorry for the saps that live high above me at this time of year. My first apartment here had no windows to the west, but the brick wall acted as thermal mass, got hot and released heat into the room at night. I was always careful to avoid direct sun exposure from the west or east since then.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

this is in Goa but it is cooler there :beer1:

charlie
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We leased our current four-story pteah l'veang in the cooler months, and did not realise that the entire side of the house would receive direct sunlight in the hot months, for the whole day. Even if we'd realised it at the time we'd probably still have rented it, as it suits our needs very well, the landlord lives in the other side of the building and is a nice guy, and we like the neighbourhood.

We weren't expecting the extreme heat of this El Nino cycle though, and are now paying for it physically. I've started shuttering the windows with aluminum bubblewrap, which cuts the direct heat on the windows and glare which even gets through the sunblock curtains.

You can always find the coolest part of our house - it's where the pets are all flaked out. Two of the cats have a vendetta, and even they call a truce during the day.

As for explorer's Captain Obvious posts, I enjoy them and suspect he's half trolling, half bored, and half helpful - and a brilliant mathematician, like me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic