Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers Beat Up Pass-App Driver in Territory Dispute

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
iheartheenim
Tourist
Somalia

Re: Phnom Penh Tuktuk Drivers Beat Up Pass-App Driver in Territory Dispute

Post by iheartheenim »

I have a lot of tuktuk driver friends here in Siem Reap. Looks like some of the guys in PP are more savage. I feel sad for this country. It's not going to go anywhere beacuse the wheels in the minds are broken.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

He might have got away if only he'd had one of these:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 am Some of them are fine if you get to know them but a lot of them are overcharging twats.
Yeah, that is their job, out there overcharging the twats.
I take a tuktuk only a small handful of times per year, usually to the airport. I count one tuktuk driver as a friend, and no one is saying they can't be good humans or anything. Away from the riverside they're usually fine. However, the business model was flawed from the start: sit around and do nothing for 20 hours per day, and then try to gouge people for short trips around town. As usual with Cambodia, you quickly get all the copycats so it didn't take long for every corner to have ten guys, thus making it 22-23 hours of doing nothing, then trying to compensate by asking for a higher price because they didn't have any customers that day... Well, it's the 20th century so things have caught up to them. They should just be thankful they didn't have to buy taxi licenses like many had to do in the west.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Utter pricks, just doing his job.

I have about 5-6 tuk tuks outside my apartment none of whom feel like going via meter and cost double what I pay via pass app - not to mention having to negotiate a price for five minutes before we set off. So I always go via pass app now. I get dirty looks and comments every time I walk past the them, quite unnerving but what do they expect me to do, pay double for the fun of it?

The days of attempting to charge foreigners obscene amounts are over, they just need to deal with it.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Industry disruption at work. I seem to recall when Uber first started in Australia, there were a few reported altercations between them and taxi drivers.

Of course, there's still a place for the regular tuktuk over the indian Passapp ones. You still can't get your khmer family of 5-6 on a Passapp nor if your scooter has broken down and you need to load it to the repair shop.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

LIVIDZX wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:11 am Utter pricks, just doing his job.

I have about 5-6 tuk tuks outside my apartment none of whom feel like going via meter and cost double what I pay via pass app - not to mention having to negotiate a price for five minutes before we set off. So I always go via pass app now. I get dirty looks and comments every time I walk past the them, quite unnerving but what do they expect me to do, pay double for the fun of it?

The days of attempting to charge foreigners obscene amounts are over, they just need to deal with it.
And the beauty of the pass app system is that the pass app driver doesn't even have to be "in their spot". He can just park on the next corner or down the street and wait for the app to pop up.
I see this quite often if i eat on the riverside. The pay-to-sit-outside the business tuktuks clearly look miffed as i sit there waiting for my pass app to arrive.
Get with the times or get left behind.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:51 am
Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: During the night of April 18, 2019, a 36-year-old PassApp tuk-tuk driver, Chon Reth, was beaten until he passed out near Chroy Changvar bridge, Sangkat Sras Chok, Khan Don Penh, Phnom Penh.

A gang of local tuktuk drivers attacked the Pass-App driver when he came to pick up a fare in an area that the other drivers considered to be their pick-up territory. The outsider was severely beaten, but either did not want to, or was afraid to lodge a complaint or go to hospital until police arrived on the scene.

After the police intervention, the beaten driver was sent to hospital and a complaint was filed against the attackers.
I would be interested to know about the charges, and do they get time. This should be treated as a serious crime.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:42 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:30 am Some of them are fine if you get to know them but a lot of them are overcharging twats.
And that is why barely anyone wants their services anymore.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:51 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote:
I take a tuktuk only a small handful of times per year, usually to the airport. I count one tuktuk driver as a friend, and no one is saying they can't be good humans or anything. Away from the riverside they're usually fine. However, the business model was flawed from the start: sit around and do nothing for 20 hours per day, and then try to gouge people for short trips around town. As usual with Cambodia, you quickly get all the copycats so it didn't take long for every corner to have ten guys, thus making it 22-23 hours of doing nothing, then trying to compensate by asking for a higher price because they didn't have any customers that day... Well, it's the 20th century so things have caught up to them. They should just be thankful they didn't have to buy taxi licenses like many had to do in the west.
Hey, no one is telling anyone to pay the high prices and not like there only a few of them around
There only tuk tuk drivers cause there to fucking lazy to do a real job :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:51 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:42 am
And that is why barely anyone wants their services anymore.
Similar stories of over-charging, with a twist. Where I used to live, 5 regular tuk-tuks were always waiting outside my apartment building. 3 of the 5 switched from old-fashioned tuk-tuk to the Indian PassApp scooters within weeks of each other in early 2018.

I had an interesting 'altercation' with a tuk-tuk some time back. Coming back to my apartment from somewhere near the Soviet hospital. Agreed a price of $3. Got to my apartment and the guy tried to charge $5. Said traffic was busier than he expected so ride took longer. I refused to pay the extra, he got all up in my face and shouting that I was stealing from him. 3 of the 5 guys who were always stationed outside my apartment stepped in and told him to take his $3 and leave. He took his $3 and left. They're not all bad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic