31-year-old South African Teacher at Western International School, ISAK VAN SCHALKWYK, Allegedly Dies from Heart Attack

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: 31-year-old South African Teacher at Western International School, ISAK VAN SCHALKWYK, Allegedly Dies from Heart Att

Post by Kuroneko »

explorer wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:07 am
Albror wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:30 am Dont have to do drugs for heart to fail. Dehydration can be bad for the heart as well and would explain why there is so many so called heart attacks among westerners who go live in a much hotter climate. Sense of thirst gets weaker with age and its said that a big part of the people dont drink enough water in the west to begin with so what will then happen when they live in Cambodia and its 38c outside compared to the 28 they are used to?
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:24 am Most locals don’t drink enough water to begin with and they were born and raised in the Kingdom! Sometimes it’s a mistake to follow the locals. They are a lot hardier than the foreigners and can survive abuse that would cause foreigners ...

... to have have heart attacks and die.
I dont believe that. If people were that dehydrated they would feel very thirsty.
Yes but for various reasons they often forget to re-hydrate, this can be due to focusing on the task in hand, for example during extreme exertion, such as running, or military exercises,etc. Also alcohol can lead to dehydration. "Excess alcohol consumption can cause dehydration in a variety of ways. Firstly, alcohol decreases the body's production of anti-diuretic hormone, which is used by the body to reabsorb water. With less anti-diuretic hormone available, your body loses more fluid than normal through increased urination."

Dehydration

When you’re dehydrated, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: dark-colored urine, muscle fatigue, dizziness, extreme thirst. Thirst occurs at about 2% dehydration.

Chronic dehydration presents a bit differently. You may experience some of the above symptoms. Or you may not even notice that you’re low on fluid. This happens as your body becomes less sensitive to water intake and tries to make do with less water, regardless of how much you’re drinking. Signs of chronic dehydration that a doctor will look for include a concentrated blood volume, abnormal electrolyte levels, and reduced kidney function over time.
Pisshead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: 31-year-old South African Teacher at Western International School, ISAK VAN SCHALKWYK, Allegedly Dies from Heart Att

Post by Pisshead »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:39 pm
Albror wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:30 am Dont have to do drugs for heart to fail. Dehydration can be bad for the heart as well and would explain why there is so many so called heart attacks among westerners who go live in a much hotter climate. Sense of thirst gets weaker with age and its said that a big part of the people dont drink enough water in the west to begin with so what will then happen when they live in Cambodia and its 38c outside compared to the 28 they are used to?
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:24 am Most locals don’t drink enough water to begin with and they were born and raised in the Kingdom! Sometimes it’s a mistake to follow the locals. They are a lot hardier than the foreigners and can survive abuse that would cause foreigners ...

I dont believe that. If people were that dehydrated they would feel very thirsty.
Yes but for various reasons they often forget to re-hydrate, this can be due to focusing on the task in hand, for example during extreme exertion, such as running, or military exercises,etc. Also alcohol can lead to dehydration. "Excess alcohol consumption can cause dehydration in a variety of ways. Firstly, alcohol decreases the body's production of anti-diuretic hormone, which is used by the body to reabsorb water. With less anti-diuretic hormone available, your body loses more fluid than normal through increased urination."

Dehydration

When you’re dehydrated, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: dark-colored urine, muscle fatigue, dizziness, extreme thirst. Thirst occurs at about 2% dehydration.

Chronic dehydration presents a bit differently. You may experience some of the above symptoms. Or you may not even notice that you’re low on fluid. This happens as your body becomes less sensitive to water intake and tries to make do with less water, regardless of how much you’re drinking. Signs of chronic dehydration that a doctor will look for include a concentrated blood volume, abnormal electrolyte levels, and reduced kidney function over time.
The party life gets to people.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Thats is the thing tho that allot of people do not drink enough to begin with and allot of the things we drink beside water have things in them that cause dehydration, thus they are not optimal for hydration such as drinks with caffeine, sodium, alcohol. Also allot of water lack electrolytes if you are running low on those as well.

So it can be a slow process but sooner or later you will reach the point were your body is no longer able to compensate for this no matter how amazing our bodies are at compensation for our poor choices.

A really bad addition to this would be periods with diarreha, especially now during the hottest month of the year.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: every teacher i have met in the KOW has drug issues,easy money to get off your face 3 days a week,needs to be said and in the bars on 136 and 172 st i frequent it is true. :beer3:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

PIEMAN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:53 pm :stir: every teacher i have met in the KOW has drug issues,easy money to get off your face 3 days a week,needs to be said and in the bars on 136 and 172 st i frequent it is true. :beer3:
Well since I don’t hang around bars or have a drug habit this is probably why we haven’t met before. Go wading around in ponds and you are bound to get covered in pond scum tbh.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

:stir: well im only saying what is very true,if your a teacher and your a clean upstanding citizen fair play to you,i drink were i want and like i say every teacher i know has a habit,you bury your head in the sand :hattip:
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:55 pm
PIEMAN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:53 pm :stir: every teacher i have met in the KOW has drug issues,easy money to get off your face 3 days a week,needs to be said and in the bars on 136 and 172 st i frequent it is true. :beer3:
Well since I don’t hang around bars or have a drug habit this is probably why we haven’t met before.
But I presume you're not selling pies either :D
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

PIEMAN wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:12 pm :stir: well im only saying what is very true,if your a teacher and your a clean upstanding citizen fair play to you,i drink were i want and like i say every teacher i know has a habit,you bury your head in the sand :hattip:

You need a teacher, bruv.
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: Isak van Schalkwyk, a 31-year-old South African man, permanent resident of New Zealand, died of meningitis in Cambodia on April 18, 2019.

Kiwi man, 31, dies of meningitis while teaching English in Cambodia
Danielle Clent10:36, Apr 27 2019
A New Zealand man who died while teaching in Cambodia is being remembered by family as a gentle giant.
Isak van Schalkwyk, a permanent resident of New Zealand, died on April 18 of meningitis. He was 31.

Auckland-based sister Nina Greeff said her parents, who live in South Africa, were heading away for the Easter weekend when they received a call that van Schalkwyk had died.

They made their way back home to organise flights to Cambodia and Greeff and her husband met them there.

"It is and has been so extremely tough," Greeff said.

"The medical report we received from the hospital stated that the cause of death was meningitis.

"He had a temperature of 42C. We don't think he realised how sick he really was."

Greeff said the whole ordeal had been heartbreaking and her family hadn't known what really happened to him until they arrived in Cambodia.

"First we were misinformed that it was an overdose and then also reading an article online that it was a heart attack. Absolutely terrible," she said.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... n-cambodia

The family is traveling to Cambodia and his sister is fund-raising to help her parents with the costs.
https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/rip-brother-bear

Meningitis page:
http://www.meningitis.org.nz/news/id/177
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

RIP Genle giant. You chose NZ as your home, you chose to be a teacher in Cambodia and your family loved you deeply. So we assume you are a very good man.
You are not alone here Bro.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic