Expats in Stung Treng Area

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expats in Stung Treng Area

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:15 pm I don't think there are many foreigners living there, just some passing through on their way to and from Southern Laos.
Yes, Stung Treng is kind of at the edge of the map, not many foreigners living there, but some NGO staff are based there. Plus the tourists passing through on their way to Laos, although more and more tourists book a tour bypassing Stung Treng because it's nothing special.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

tcw57 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:20 am I'm guessing that the school you mentioned is the one that I've been hired to teach at. It's run by a Korean missionary who has built a number of buildings about 2k outside of Stung Treng.
No it wasn't. Somebody had gone to a poor village, and seen that they had little, and built a school building for them. It was just for Cambodian teachers and the students from a poor village.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I would never want to live in Phnom Penh.

I much more time with Cambodian people, and prefer to live where there are less foreigners. I would be much happier in Stung Treng than Phnom Penh.

In addition to the foreigners you should meet. I have met a few Cambodians in Stung Treng who speak fairly good English. There are not many, but a few.

I speak Khmer, and have many friends who dont speak English.

It will be a good opportunity for you to learn Khmer.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I will mention, when you speak Khmer you can understand what people are saying whenever you meet them. However, in Stung Treng a lot of the people actually speak Lao. They can speak Khmer as well, but speak Lao with their Lao speaking friends.

There is also a diverse mix of ethnic groups. There are Khmer, Lao and Vietmanese. There are also Chinese who have lived in Cambodia for generations, and Chinese who have come from China recently. There are even different ethnic groups in Laos. There is one group where the girls are short and cute. There is a group which has quite dark skin. There is a group where the women have large hands, similar to a man in other ethnic groups.
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

Thanks for the input. Will definitely check out the western food shop from time to time. .. and making runs to SR and PP. Just out of curiosity, why do you think a Korean mission would be a terrible place to work? I've got my own ideas, but wouldn't mind hearing yours and others...
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Maybe my own bias against religion related organisations, and self perpetuating NGO's.

Who knows, perhaps it will be great for you.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

tcw57 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 pm Thanks for the input. Will definitely check out the western food shop from time to time. .. and making runs to SR and PP. Just out of curiosity, why do you think a Korean mission would be a terrible place to work? I've got my own ideas, but wouldn't mind hearing yours and others...
I would not do the trips to SR and PP unless you want to go there for another reason. It is too far.

I think with this place, or any other, work there and decide for yourself. You wont know before you go.
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 pm I would never want to live in Phnom Penh.

I much more time with Cambodian people, and prefer to live where there are less foreigners. I would be much happier in Stung Treng than Phnom Penh.

In addition to the foreigners you should meet. I have met a few Cambodians in Stung Treng who speak fairly good English. There are not many, but a few.

I speak Khmer, and have many friends who dont speak English.

It will be a good opportunity for you to learn Khmer.
I totally agree. I would like to learn Khmer and I guess there are few better ways than being immersed in the culture.
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 am
tcw57 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:20 am I'm guessing that the school you mentioned is the one that I've been hired to teach at. It's run by a Korean missionary who has built a number of buildings about 2k outside of Stung Treng.
No it wasn't. Somebody had gone to a poor village, and seen that they had little, and built a school building for them. It was just for Cambodian teachers and the students from a poor village.
Aha... the Korean mission must be in a different area.
tcw57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tcw57 »

explorer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:52 pm
tcw57 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 pm Thanks for the input. Will definitely check out the western food shop from time to time. .. and making runs to SR and PP. Just out of curiosity, why do you think a Korean mission would be a terrible place to work? I've got my own ideas, but wouldn't mind hearing yours and others...
I would not do the trips to SR and PP unless you want to go there for another reason. It is too far.

I think with this place, or any other, work there and decide for yourself. You wont know before you go.
I agree with you. We will find out soon enough. We are leaving for Stung Treng in the beginning of July. As far as PP and SR, a certain medication I need can only be purchased in those 2 places. Also, later, if we decide to retire in Cambodia we would like to take a look at some different places...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic