Looking for a nice area to settle down.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DeePerk
Tourist
Great Britain

Looking for a nice area to settle down.

Post by DeePerk »

Hi there all! Thx for the accept!!! New to Cambodia, after many years in Thailand. Looking for a nice local area to live in. Not too many barangs around, since i want to pick up the language spending my time with locals. Preferably somewhere in the outskirts, was thinking somewhere near NR5, Russei Keo. No agents please, just asking for nice areas over there, i'll do the house hunting myself. TIA
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Looking for a nice area to settle down.

Post by John Bingham »

The areas adjoining NR5 in Russei Keo District are rough as hell.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Any idea on budget, single/married/family, further definition of "nice", etc.

Forget any idea about learning Khmer by living with locals unless you're truly out in the sticks with the chicken man & a few others; even by the time I got here just under 15 years ago all the Khmers could converse well in English, and even if you try to speak Khmer to them you'll get English back.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote:The areas adjoining NR5 in Russei Keo District are rough as hell.
How are they rougher fr anywhere else? They've got boreys out there and all. Nothing too sketchy about that area, quite nice, cheap accomodation and traffic isn't too bad in the morning.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pretty much any of the side streets past the Chruoy Changva Bridge for about 10km are horrible slums. Sure there are Boreys but the streets leading to them are messy with factories and crap houses everywhere.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Don’t think this man understands much about Cambodia at all. He should just live near the riverside of TTP for a while and take khmer lessons.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

"the riverside of TTP"???

Obviously you've been gone too long.
DeePerk
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by DeePerk »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:28 pm Any idea on budget, single/married/family, further definition of "nice", etc.

Forget any idea about learning Khmer by living with locals unless you're truly out in the sticks with the chicken man & a few others; even by the time I got here just under 15 years ago all the Khmers could converse well in English, and even if you try to speak Khmer to them you'll get English back.
Single, budget somewhere 250 to 300 dollars i had in mind. As for "quite area" , not to much noise pollution and a bit better air quality than downtown. A dead end street wouldn't be bad i think. BTW thanks all for your responses so far.
DeePerk
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by DeePerk »

willyhilly wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm Don’t think this man understands much about Cambodia at all. He should just live near the riverside of TTP for a while and take khmer lessons.
True what you say, i don't know much about Cambodia yet. But about ten years ago i moved to Thailand, to Nakhon Pathom, and lived in an area with only locals. That's how i've picked up the language. Worked well for me so i was thinking it must work here as well...
phkachhouk
Expatriate
Australia

Post by phkachhouk »

Why are you leaving Thailand?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic