Dual citizenship?! What do I need and how much?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Pollybee2
Tourist
Great Britain

Dual citizenship?! What do I need and how much?

Post by Pollybee2 »

Hello,

I want to apply for dual citizenship UK and Khmer. My mother is Cambodian as she was born there, but left the country during the Khmer rouge. She does not currently have a Cambodian passport herself as hers was taken from her when she applied to be a UK citizen way back. However if she can prove she was born in Cambodia is this enough?

Secondly, what documents do I need and how do I even start the application process? Anyone know the cost? I've only ever read about large sums of donations, but that's with a neutrality Visa I believe?

Thank you all in advance!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dual citizenship?! What do I need and how much?

Post by John Bingham »

Due to the huge number of displaced people during the 70s-80s, and the lack of original documentation, there are processes in place which will help people in your situation.
Basically if you are born to a Cambodian parent you are eligible for citizenship here, it doesn't matter if you were born abroad or not.
You just need to prove your mother was born here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Cambodian law states that if you crawled out of a Cambodian fanny you are Cambodian. So If you can find the paperwork you are entitled to Cambodian citizenship.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I think your mom can just call the rest of the family back in Cambodia to get the paperwork necessary to prove she is Cambodian.

If one of your parents is Cambodian, you are eligible for Cambodian citizenship. You can marry a Khmer citizen regardless of your age or income bracket, and entitled to own land.

Maybe you can vote, too. Not sure about voting rules for overseas Khmer not born in the country.

Congrats.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

When you arrive obtain the K-type (Special) Visa on arrival, it's free and last the lifetime of your passport. You just need to show evidence that you are of Cambodian descent.

Next step is to go to the Department of Identification in Chbar Ampouv, there they will give you the application forms and list of required documents. The application process could take months, so be prepared for that.
kaputt
Expatriate
Afghanistan

Post by kaputt »

Does you mother still have relatives in Cambodia ? If so it would be a lot easier for her to obtain Khmer Citizenship.
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

I hope your mother can still speak/listen write/read khmer. And that you can speak some khmer.

Relatives living in Cambodia will be a big help, if not, there's little hope for you to go through Khmer bureaucracy ... (or be loaded !)
Don't forget the water buffalo
1133internet
Tourist
United States of America

Post by 1133internet »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:16 am Due to the huge number of displaced people during the 70s-80s, and the lack of original documentation, there are processes in place which will help people in your situation.
Basically if you are born to a Cambodian parent you are eligible for citizenship here, it doesn't matter if you were born abroad or not.
You just need to prove your mother was born here.
Hi John,
Would you mind elaborating on the processes in place with lack of documentation, or only the reference of having one parent being born in Cambodia, but no specific details?
Thank you
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Please refer to the Law on Nationality

Chapter 2 Article 4

CHAPTER II: KHMER NATIONALITY/CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH
ARTICLE 4:
1. Shall obtain Khmer nationality/citizenship regardless of the place of birth:
 Any legitimate child who is born from a mother or father who has Khmer
nationality/citizenship, or
 Any illegitimate child who is born from and recognized by mother or father who
has Khmer nationality, or
 Any child who is not recognized by a mother and father (parents), when the court
passed a judgment stating that such child was really born from a mother or father
who has Khmer nationality/citizenship.

The documentation required is the family book from your mother's village or the entry in the register there (if you can get those) and your birth certificate.

Ignore the naysayers who say you need lots of cash - it is not true.

Follow PSD-Kiwi advice
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

If your mum is cambodian and has an english passport then she must have documents from her application for british citizenship as that would require a birth certificate or equivalent documetation. Home office must have that on file in paper or electronic form. Not sur of the full story here but if she was an adopted child the adoptin agency would have the paperwork as well, and if she was a refugee through official channels (ie Un they would have paperwork too)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic