Dual citizenship?! What do I need and how much?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
1133internet
Tourist
United States of America

Re: Dual citizenship?! What do I need and how much?

Post by 1133internet »

Thank you for your reply,
I was referring to this situation:
I am interested in getting cambodian citizenship through descent
My dad was born in cambodia in the 1940s, but left for France in the 70s and became a French citizen. All he has is a french certified document that says he was born in Cambodia.
So there is no cambodian passport, no cambodian id, no family book, no cambodian birth certificate, because all records from that timeframe have been destroyed. Only an official french document saying he was born in cambodia,
So i am not sure where it fits, which is why I was asking about the special procedures for people who were displaced from cambodia in the 70s and 80s.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Go to the Department of Identification (MoI), they are the department that deal with situations such as yours, which are very common.
1133internet
Tourist
United States of America

Post by 1133internet »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 pm Go to the Department of Identification (MoI), they are the department that deal with situations such as yours, which are very common.
Thank you very much, if I have someone go get the form for me, do you happen to know the name of the form they should be looking for?
Also if I may ask another question, i looked at the requirements for the police clearance, and it seems to need a residence proof, but I have only come to Cambodia as a tourist and staying with friends, so I wouldnt have anything to get that residential proof?

Thanks again
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1133internet wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:50 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:08 pm Go to the Department of Identification (MoI), they are the department that deal with situations such as yours, which are very common.
Thank you very much, if I have someone go get the form for me, do you happen to know the name of the form they should be looking for?
Also if I may ask another question, i looked at the requirements for the police clearance, and it seems to need a residence proof, but I have only come to Cambodia as a tourist and staying with friends, so I wouldnt have anything to get that residential proof?

Thanks again
In your case it's not just going to be a matter of filling out a form...you really should go there in person to seek advice and find out the required procedures, not a simple or quick process.
1133internet
Tourist
United States of America

Post by 1133internet »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:20 pm
1133internet wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:50 pm

Thanks again
In your case it's not just going to be a matter of filling out a form...you really should go there in person to seek advice and find out the required procedures, not a simple or quick process.
Thank you very much
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 am Cambodian law states that if you crawled out of a Cambodian fanny you are Cambodian. So If you can find the paperwork you are entitled to Cambodian citizenship.
Awarded for eloquence. Congratulations...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic