Theft on Longset Beach (Koh Rong)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Khnguyen
Tourist
United States of America

Theft on Longset Beach (Koh Rong)

Post by Khnguyen »

On our first night arriving at Koh Rong, we stayed in one of the tent at reef on the beach located on Longset island. When we check-in, the staff told me to sign the paper but she did not mentioned about leaving all the valuable in the safe so I was assuming the paper is just about the policy of the resort and most of the common thing like check-in and check-out time ( I know it’s my fault that I did not read throughly, so lesson learned).

Anyway, we were arranged to stay on one the the tent infront of the beach, after a while on the beach, we decided to lock our tent and went out for dinner. Things happen from there, our tent window got cut off and they went in, took an asus laptop, a marvic pro, a sony lens and flash, a gopro 4 black and some batteries for the cameras . We did inform the staff but they did not do anything. They said they would post a note on koh rong community page on facebook but I did not seen anything. I asked him on facebook and all he did was seen but no reply.

I don’t know what to do now. There is not police station on the island.Should I report to the police when I arrive at Sihanouk? Would they go and investigate or at least do something?
If anyone have seen these items or know someone is going to sell them, please let me know and I will buy these items back as the have all the memories and informations.

Thank you all so much and be careful with koh rong so you won’t be the next victim.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Theft on Longset Beach (Koh Rong)

Post by John Bingham »

Sorry to hear about your problem. There might not be an official police station on the island but there are certainly police posted there and there are village chiefs you can file a report with.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
gaplem
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by gaplem »

Sorry to hear about your problem too, but this is Cambodia. Welcome !
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Khnguyen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm On our first night arriving at Koh Rong, we stayed in one of the tent at reef on the beach located on Longset island. When we check-in, the staff told me to sign the paper but she did not mentioned about leaving all the valuable in the safe so I was assuming the paper is just about the policy of the resort and most of the common thing like check-in and check-out time ( I know it’s my fault that I did not read throughly, so lesson learned).

Anyway, we were arranged to stay on one the the tent infront of the beach, after a while on the beach, we decided to lock our tent and went out for dinner. Things happen from there, our tent window got cut off and they went in, took an asus laptop, a marvic pro, a sony lens and flash, a gopro 4 black and some batteries for the cameras . We did inform the staff but they did not do anything. They said they would post a note on koh rong community page on facebook but I did not seen anything. I asked him on facebook and all he did was seen but no reply.

I don’t know what to do now. There is not police station on the island.Should I report to the police when I arrive at Sihanouk? Would they go and investigate or at least do something?
If anyone have seen these items or know someone is going to sell them, please let me know and I will buy these items back as the have all the memories and informations.

Thank you all so much and be careful with koh rong so you won’t be the next victim.
Any follow-up ? Did you report this to the police ? There are police stationed somewhere on the island for sure, and there is a tourist police office on Occheuteal beach in Sihanoukville. You never know, you might get your stuff back, and you will need a police report if you are claiming insurance.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Khnguyen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:53 pm On our first night arriving at Koh Rong, we stayed in one of the tent at reef on the beach located on Longset island. When we check-in, the staff told me to sign the paper but she did not mentioned about leaving all the valuable in the safe so I was assuming the paper is just about the policy of the resort and most of the common thing like check-in and check-out time ( I know it’s my fault that I did not read throughly, so lesson learned).

Any follow-up ? Did you report this to the police ? There are police stationed somewhere on the island for sure, and there is a tourist police office on Occheuteal beach in Sihanoukville. You never know, you might get your stuff back, and you will need a police report if you are claiming insurance.
This thread might be useful: topic17249.html
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

There is a police station in Koh Touch village, an office on the main street up the hill and a large building on the rather aptly named Police Beach.
Khnguyen
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Khnguyen »

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, when the incident happened, the owner of my resort tell me there is NO police on the island, only in mainland. When I googled, for some reason it only showed the police beach :(
Khnguyen
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Khnguyen »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

This thread might be useful: topic17249.html
Thank you so much for the information. When I was at koh Rong, the owner of the resort told me there is no police station on koh Rong, I have to file the report at the police station on mainland which making me really mad because police in sihanouk won’t file anything happens in koh rong. When I arrived to Sihanouk, locals people told me the tourist police right on the ferry terminal already relocated and no one knows where it at.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@OP. It sounds like the resort owner did not want you to file a complaint with the police. Normally, I'd say it's not the resort owner's fault if you get something pinched from a tent, but in this case he was extremely unhelpful and obstructive to tell you that there are no police on the island. On the contrary, if you had filed a complaint right away, your stolen things would still have been on the island at the time, and it's possible that you could have got them back (for a small fee.) Now they have probably gone to be sold on the mainland, it's unlikely you'll find them. You could try asking around Sihanoukville market, Psar Leu, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
What is the name of the resort ? The owner needs a slap IMO.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sorry for your loss and the poor response from the resort owner.

But that’s an awful lot of expensive stuff to be carrying on vacation.

And an open tent seems like a pretty unsafe place to be leaving lots of expensive electronics lying around.

Must make a note to self..

Don’t bring a laptop, high end DSLR camera, multiple expensive lenses, GoPro cameras with me on vacation and store them in a tent right on the Koh Rong beach for everyone to see.

Seriously, I hope your find your stuff.

Going to the police beach and filing your report might still be the best bet. If it’s a local criminal gang the cops will get them immediately and there maybe a chance some of the stuff is still there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic