How much would it cost?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

How much would it cost?

Post by RickyBobby »

How much would a simple small bungalow like this cost to build?

"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How much would it cost?

Post by Clemen »

Hate to say "it depends" but it does.
Near me, just outside of SHV between $5k-$10k. Probably cheaper other places. Construction material costs and labor costs are higher here than only a year ago.
Cambodian friends just finished their house about a month ago, they paid $8k,
Not including land, their house is at least half again as big.
up to you...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you do build a house, use some design ideas from Western countries. If you build something better than most, you should get a good price when you sell it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Clemen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 pm Hate to say "it depends" but it does.
Near me, just outside of SHV between $5k-$10k. Probably cheaper other places. Construction material costs and labor costs are higher here than only a year ago.
Cambodian friends just finished their house about a month ago, they paid $8k,
Not including land, their house is at least half again as big.
Really, I totally get the 'depends' part, its awfully vague. My lady said between 5-10 k also. I asked her to show her dad and ask him what he thought.

Any photos of what similar to what you describe?

For the 8 K house are you saying smaller or bigger?

We just acquired a little piece of land, 10 X 25. Its not ideal, but the price was right. This would not be the dream home build, more like a practice run and a start to something more.

We've rented a small apartment before, with a separate kitchen and bathroom and otherwise one room and a balcony. Ideally I would want a separate bedroom, and a living kitchen area combined. But it doesn't have to be that big. I also think I would like to build an attached garage, but not yet sure.

Thanks for the input.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Morticia and I are planning a small bungalow in the province as well, along those lines. We get similar quotes.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

I have heard from the people who have build before in Cambodia saying that good Cambodian quality build cost $300-$350/m2 and from $450-$XXX/m2 when you want closer to western quality and finishing. Standard local quality and finishing can be achieved as low as $200/m2 even. The more you can do yourself (building or sourching the materials), the more it drop the cost.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I rented a 2 bed bungalow like this before and the heat radiating from the ceiling was ridiculous. It would definitely need to be ventilated and insulated. I would also consider insulating or double bricking the outside walls of the bedroom for A/C.

There's a few small things i would like to do that wouldn't cost a lot more if I was there managing the project.
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Passive design is the key as it responds to local climate and site conditions to maximise comfort and health while minimising energy use.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:19 pm I have heard from the people who have build before in Cambodia saying that good Cambodian quality build cost $300-$350/m2 and from $450-$XXX/m2 when you want closer to western quality and finishing. Standard local quality and finishing can be achieved as low as $200/m2 even. The more you can do yourself (building or sourching the materials), the more it drop the cost.
Her dad just did an interesting thing. They elevated their own wooden house about 5 ft. as the neighborhood improvements on adjacent properties resulted in flooding them out. So after the house was raised, they rebuilt everything under, including a western toilet "so RickyBobby can take a shit" said her dad. :)

I think he could get it all done for me at best prices.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

RogueAnt wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm Passive design is the key as it responds to local climate and site conditions to maximize comfort and health while minimizing energy use.
As in Passive House? Care to expand on that please?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic