How much would it cost?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: How much would it cost?

Post by phuketrichard »

Duncan wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:40 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:19 pm there used as portable offices here on construction sites an also there are 2 malls that used containers as shops. 2 stories.

it seems you all have lots of ideas an you tube videos of projects an sure many more can be found
BUT
none take into account the practicality or costs of doing them in Cambodia
plus getting the correct materials

Why not just buy an old train car and convert it? i recall there many many of them parked behind the PP train station ( unless they have been moved)

Looks like you have not been near the PP train station for 10 or 15 years.

But not only that , train carriages are designed to be moved on wheels , not lifted and put on trucks and moved where as containers have the proper lifting points and won't sag in the middle if lifted and moved.

Anyone using containers must get used to the fact that the container is basically the framework and needs to be lined on the inside and also best to be covered on the outside to get away from that '' container '' look.
yep 10 years
shot in 2009

went back in 2012 as well and there were still plenty of cars and down the track there was a whole village, living with access from the main road as well

I have seen whole houses on back of trucks and they are not meant to be transported as well. :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

RickyBobby wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:25 pm
explorer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:17 pm
beaker wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:58 pm Here is a quick video of a house built for $3,050. with the interlocking bricks it was a competition for speed but gives an idea of how they work.

The interlocking bricks go up much faster look much better, no need for concrete exterior cover layer, can be layed by unskilled workers or home owners and their families and are stronger and better insulated. They also come in several colors and can also have different designs like flowers or elephants etc for accents/strips
This is an interesting idea. Anyone with a good idea to build something cheaper can make a lot of money.

Maybe not available in Cambodia, unless you are a brick manufacturer.
Compressed earth blocks are not hard to make. Someone could easily buy a machine, and make a bunch more (at profit) and then sell the machine and still be ahead from the costs to buy the blocks.

But, I honestly don't see the benefit. Time/labour isn't worth much. A good mason/bricklayer can lay them down pretty quickly. The traditional method of pouring the structural components as columns and girders with rebar, and filling in the voids with bricks cannot be made cheaper by using this method is my guess.

Also, this doesnt change the final product much. The best ideas on this thread seem to be related to design issues of air flow, shade, and avoiding trapped heat energy, in voids (attics) and also in thermal mass.
No need for columns and girders but if you want them the columns can be built with the bricks like this;

in what ever size column you want

or used to fill in between concrete columns as fast as you can stack them as shown in the video where one 9 yo kid can construct a wall more than twice a fast as 2 experienced brick layers

For girders or headers they have scooped out bricks that are filled with concrete and rebar. The thin concrete is poured to fill the scooped out header bricks with rebar and fills the circular voids in all the bricks which creates a much stronger wall with the concrete columns through out the entire wall and in the voids between the ends of each brick.
here are the brick types used every 4-6 courses to funnel the concrete through out the lower courses

The header bricks are like the concrete funnel bricks above but are one continuous
trough so that rebar can be laid horizontally

The walls with those bricks are stronger, better insulated, and much better looking so no need to hide the hideous brickwork behind a concrete plastering they also have lots of decorative bricks for wall accents

So the house will end up nicer and cheaper even than the average khmer style brick house IMHO
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I am now spending some time studying passive cooling design.

Where I have lived most of my life, it was the reverse; the conservation of the heat, and collection and maintenance of it. This is the reverse; we want good airflow and movement, with no heat traps.

Also what I do consider is the pestilence that does not exist where I have built before. My conventional methods, which I am so familiar with may not survive well because of the extremely different conditions and creepy crawlies.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Post by RogueAnt »

Check out this Japanese guy who lives in the Philippines. He's got some innovative ideas on tropical passive builds.
http://kotaronishiki.com/

Plus this website has many links and the basics- this is your "go to"
https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/C ... ooling.htm
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Finished cost ( no electrics) around 8k, excluding labour as I didn't charge myself.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Finished cost ( no electrics) around 8k, excluding labour as I didn't charge myself.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Finished cost ( no electrics) around 8k, excluding labour as I didn't charge myself.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

FYI:
when brother in law was here we went to Home pro here in phuket as they also have one in Trat, to look at materials, doors, windows, tiles, paint, accessories, ( kitchen cabinets, stoves) etc etc

He than went to Global mall in PP to compare prices/selection and he said Thailand only a little cheaper and lots of the same stuff
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

FYI I think the house you initially posted would cost 12-15k. If totally K-style inside, the maybe 10k but no less. People saying 5k are delusional.

@barang chkout: Looks great!
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic