One week in Phuket..where to stay?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

One week in Phuket..where to stay?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

After finding out about the new AirAsia direct flights PP>HKT starting 1 June here: the-road/air-asia-phuket-phnom-penh-direct-t27887.html I decided to book for Mrs Cargo and I to get away to a beachy place for a week. Pretty happy with the price of $US180 return for 2 with 1 checked bag.

As we don't get many chances to have a break, the idea would be to relax and chill out rather than do a lot of exploring/sightseeing etc. I'm also happy to splash out and stay in a nice 4-5 star hotel or resort with a nice pool. Whilst we would check out the beach, we will probably spend more time in the hotel pool. We'd prefer places that are more for couples than 'family' places with lots of noisy kids.

It's been more than several years since I went to Phuket and then it was at Patong only. The night life was very busy then but I think we wouldn't mind checking some of that out along the way. So my idea would be to spend maybe half the week at a place at Patong and the other half at another, quieter beach location on the island. Maybe supplement that with a few daytime tours...

So for those that have been there recently any ideas for beaches, resorts that I can research? I guess Karon and Kata beaches are obvious candidates but there are so many places on the island now. Any particular daytime tours you recommend over others?
RogueAnt
Expatriate
French Polynesia

Re: One week in Phuket..where to stay?

Post by RogueAnt »

I've lived on Phuket and really like Nai Harn Beach. It used be quiet but now I'm not so sure. I can't recommend anywhere to stay as we rented in Chalong. I don't like the Patong/Kata side of the island as there's too many tourists.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I live here, so one could say have been recently LOL> ( and have since 1984 except for 2 1/2 years)
wife's sisters and kids have been here the past week so have been all over the island as the guide.
Hate Nai harn l drove down there last week an its all a built up mess, same goes for Rawaii.
Kata is a tourist ghetto. Never cared for karon as have to cross a road to get to the beach and its all big hotels

Where u stay depends on want you want to do and if ur traveling as a family, alone and want company or as a couple.

Ok, traveling with wife....
For June u definitely want a hotel/resort as the sea can get rough as the winds have shifted to onshore.
IF ur willing to splurge, check out laguna area, Fantastic world class resorts, many on the beach, a step down from there but also beach front places is Bang Tao, BUT i prefer where i live,
Kamala.... next beach down from bang Tao/ Surin area for the past 20 years and love it, there some nice resorts on the beach, ( Sunwing, Novotel) and the BRAND NEW twin palms, https://www.twinpalmshotelsresorts.com/ (which might be running specials) only 6 kms to Patong
enough restaurants and places to walk around to feel relaxed..
Use agoda.com to see maps and prices.

If u do decide on kamala , drop me a note, can meet up for a meal, drink ( am not a bar goer)

ONLY problem with the new direct flight is the 5:30 AM departure back to PP
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm I live here, so one could say have been recently LOL> ( and have since 1984 except for 2 1/2 years)
wife's sisters and kids have been here the past week so have been all over the island as the guide.
Hate Nai harn l drove down there last week an its all a built up mess, same goes for Rawaii.
Kata is a tourist ghetto. Never cared for karon as have to cross a road to get to the beach and its all big hotels

Where u stay depends on want you want to do and if ur traveling as a family, alone and want company or as a couple.

Ok, traveling with wife....
For June u definitely want a hotel/resort as the sea can get rough as the winds have shifted to onshore.
IF ur willing to splurge, check out laguna area, Fantastic world class resorts, many on the beach, a step down from there but also beach front places is Bang Tao, BUT i prefer where i live,
Kamala.... next beach down from bang Tao/ Surin area for the past 20 years and love it, there some nice resorts on the beach, ( Sunwing, Novotel) and the BRAND NEW twin palms, https://www.twinpalmshotelsresorts.com/ (which might be running specials) only 6 kms to Patong
enough restaurants and places to walk around to feel relaxed..
Use agoda.com to see maps and prices.

If u do decide on kamala , drop me a note, can meet up for a meal, drink ( am not a bar goer)

ONLY problem with the new direct flight is the 5:30 AM departure back to PP
Much appreciated Richard. It's good to know from someone that's 'on the ground' so to speak and gives me a lot to go on. Yeah, I said recently coz I know the island been through a lot of development and changed a lot. OTH it also offers a lot of choices. I have a bit of time now to research those options.

By the way, some of the flights have a 6.15am departure so I picked one of those instead albeit still early time to get up and get to the airport...presume the traffic will be light then tho.
cheers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic