Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2237
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 518
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by timmydownawell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I quite like "in front of" instead of "opposite". As in "my shop is in front of Olympic Stadium". For a native English speaker you would assume it's on the same side of the road as the stadium, not across the road (opposite) it. I do use "in front of" in their sense now, when giving directions.

edit: I'm starting to sound like Explorer. :facepalm:
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13742
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1938
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 pm

timmydownawell wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm
I quite like "in front of" instead of "opposite". As in "my shop is in front of Olympic Stadium". For a native English speaker you would assume it's on the same side of the road as the stadium, not across the road (opposite) it. I do use "in front of" in their sense now, when giving directions.

edit: I'm starting to sound like Explorer. :facepalm:
in English you could also say 'facing' the Olympic Stadium instead of 'Opposite' because as you say 'In front of' could mean either same side/other side of the road
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9336
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1747
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm

For example if you say: You're not hungry, are you?
wtf
who says that,

most people say, "are you hungry "?
explorer, :please: :please:

its 6:45 ( most people can look at the window an understand if its AM or PM
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13742
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1938
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 pm

phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm
For example if you say: You're not hungry, are you?
wtf
who says that,

most people say, "are you hungry "?
explorer, :please: :please:

its 6:45 ( most people can look at the window an understand if its AM or PM
yeah or you would say "are you not hungry?" if making it a negative question like he was trying in his example, or even "are you hungry, or not?"
saying "you are not hungry are you" is more of a statement than an actual question, it almost sounds like hes using Khmer Grammar lol or maybe thats just how bogans talk? :roll: haha
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2237
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 518
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by timmydownawell » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 pm
timmydownawell wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm
I quite like "in front of" instead of "opposite". As in "my shop is in front of Olympic Stadium". For a native English speaker you would assume it's on the same side of the road as the stadium, not across the road (opposite) it. I do use "in front of" in their sense now, when giving directions.

edit: I'm starting to sound like Explorer. :facepalm:
in English you could also say 'facing' the Olympic Stadium instead of 'Opposite' because as you say 'In front of' could mean either same side/other side of the road
If I'm standing facing you I could say I'm standing in front of you, or I'm standing opposite you and both would be correct I guess. It just seems wrong when you are talking about something across a street.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13742
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1938
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 pm

timmydownawell wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:00 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:15 pm
timmydownawell wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 pm
I quite like "in front of" instead of "opposite". As in "my shop is in front of Olympic Stadium". For a native English speaker you would assume it's on the same side of the road as the stadium, not across the road (opposite) it. I do use "in front of" in their sense now, when giving directions.

edit: I'm starting to sound like Explorer. :facepalm:
in English you could also say 'facing' the Olympic Stadium instead of 'Opposite' because as you say 'In front of' could mean either same side/other side of the road
If I'm standing facing you I could say I'm standing in front of you, or I'm standing opposite you and both would be correct I guess. It just seems wrong when you are talking about something across a street.
the context is changing now if your talking about someone stood in front of you, before we was talking about the location of a building/shop
if the shop is outside the stadium on the same side of road,
i would say its in front of the stadium
if the shop is outside the stadium on the other side of the road
i would say its opposite the stadium/facing the stadium

does that not sound normal/right? or is it just me :D

if you are talking about someone stood in front of you you could say Facing/Opposite/In front of and they all would mean the same (unless they not facing you then the first one doesnt obv lol)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Posts: 9336
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:17 pm
Reputation: 1747
Location: Atlantis
Aruba

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by phuketrichard » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm
For example if you say: You're not hungry, are you?
wtf
who says that,

most people say, "are you hungry "?
explorer, :please: :please:

its 6:45 ( most people can look at the window an understand if its AM or PM
yeah or you would say "are you not hungry?" if making it a negative question like he was trying in his example, or even "are you hungry, or not?"
saying "you are not hungry are you" is more of a statement than an actual question, it almost sounds like hes using Khmer Grammar lol or maybe thats just how bogans talk? :roll: haha
Jamie, please, when was the last time you said to one of ur friends, "are you not hungry?"
or "are you hungry, or not?" ( unless you were at a restaurant and he was not ordering...)

I ask my friends or text them...... " you hungry? simple yes or no response......
if yes
"want to grab a bite?"
if no.... conversation over....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13742
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1938
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:47 am

phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:24 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:38 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:18 pm
For example if you say: You're not hungry, are you?
wtf
who says that,

most people say, "are you hungry "?
explorer, :please: :please:

its 6:45 ( most people can look at the window an understand if its AM or PM
yeah or you would say "are you not hungry?" if making it a negative question like he was trying in his example, or even "are you hungry, or not?"
saying "you are not hungry are you" is more of a statement than an actual question, it almost sounds like hes using Khmer Grammar lol or maybe thats just how bogans talk? :roll: haha
Jamie, please, when was the last time you said to one of ur friends, "are you not hungry?"
or "are you hungry, or not?" ( unless you were at a restaurant and he was not ordering...)

I ask my friends or text them...... " you hungry? simple yes or no response......
if yes
"want to grab a bite?"
if no.... conversation over....
Richard, please... :roll: you are not even English so why are you questioning what i would and would not say? :unknown: we dont speak like you yanks...
when was the last time you said to one of ur friends, "are you not hungry?"
t'was last week actually, when me workmate offered me some of his snap (packed lunch)
or "are you hungry, or not?"
said this shortly after too,
the conversation went something like this...

"fuck, forgot some o' me snap"
"ya want this cheese sarnie?"
"why, are ya not hungry?"
"na mate its fine..."
"serious though muck, are ya hungry or not? cuz ill be fine wi'out it, but if yer dont wan' it, i wont let it go to waste..."

true story
(fat cunt kept it fer hi'sen)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Posts: 2237
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:50 pm
Reputation: 518
Location: Phnom Penh
Cambodia

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by timmydownawell » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 pm

the context is changing now if your talking about someone stood in front of you, before we was talking about the location of a building/shop
if the shop is outside the stadium on the same side of road,
i would say its in front of the stadium
if the shop is outside the stadium on the other side of the road
i would say its opposite the stadium/facing the stadium


does that not sound normal/right? or is it just me :D

if you are talking about someone stood in front of you you could say Facing/Opposite/In front of and they all would mean the same (unless they not facing you then the first one doesnt obv lol)
That is exactly my point. Khmers say 'in front of' where we'd say 'opposite'.

Anyway first time I came across this I was looking for the Chuun Leap store https://www.khmer24.com/en/chhunleap , which has good prices on home appliances if anyone is looking. It's in front of the Olympic Stadium. Or be it across the road.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13742
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1938
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Things Cambodians may express differently to English speakers

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 pm

timmydownawell wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 pm

the context is changing now if your talking about someone stood in front of you, before we was talking about the location of a building/shop
if the shop is outside the stadium on the same side of road,
i would say its in front of the stadium
if the shop is outside the stadium on the other side of the road
i would say its opposite the stadium/facing the stadium


does that not sound normal/right? or is it just me :D

if you are talking about someone stood in front of you you could say Facing/Opposite/In front of and they all would mean the same (unless they not facing you then the first one doesnt obv lol)
That is exactly my point. Khmers say 'in front of' where we'd say 'opposite'.

Anyway first time I came across this I was looking for the Chuun Leap store https://www.khmer24.com/en/chhunleap , which has good prices on home appliances if anyone is looking. It's in front of the Olympic Stadium. Or be it across the road.
tbh thats probably down to where their teacher was from,
the Khmer script in that ad actualy says ទីតាំងស្ថិតនៅខាងត្បូងស្តាតអូឡាំពិកហួសពីម្តុំលក់ផ្លែឈើស្រីមុំប្រហែលជា200m - its located at the south side of the stadium Olympic about 200m beyond the area where Srey Moms fruit shop is
:D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests