Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages cathedral (other link)

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages cathedral (other link)

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages cathedral (other link)

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 pm you needed to be there so to speak but I am confident
Anthony I just listened to that song you posted, what is he saying, singing about, what do the words mean? NOTHING !

CHARLIE
Red necks, white socks and blue ribbon beer may not mean anything to you nor to most Londoners. In North America the term has been co-opted from its original meaning of outdoor labourer to right-wing politically, white socks are a dressing habit of the lower classes ie not suit wearing, blue ribbon beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon beer, a budget beer brand. The song was released in 1973 and climbed to number 4 on the country charts. Perhaps you had to be there and of a certain age. I am confident that RickyBobby was there and is the right age to get the gist of the song.

from Wikipedia :
The song is performed from the perspective of a patron of a neighbourhood tavern. Although he notes the cigarette smoke hanging in the air (a dated reference to a time when most taverns allowed smoking), and describes several customers – patrons who either make an unwanted pass at a female bartender, a cowboy who "cusses the pinball machine," a drunken customer who has become boisterous and another customer who phones his wife to tell her he'll soon be leaving for home – he also refers to the good times and camaraderie of friends at the establishment ("The four-thirty crowd is about to arrive/The sun's goin' down, and we'll all soon be here").

Charlie if you ever have difficulty understanding North American vernacular again kindly ask me, there is no need to yell. I certainly understand, as when I was a uni student in Scotland I spent a summer in Golder's Green. I found Londoners very difficult to understand as well. Bob's your uncle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic